H&I

How do we bring my brother in law for a visit?

9 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hi everyone..My name is D r..My husband H and I were married in 2010 in Jordan...and he came to the US in 2012..we have a nice home out in the country..and he is a Department Manager (removed).. Has worked hard to have a good life and take care of his family...He is doing amazingly well..very successful..I'm so proud of him...He is currently in Jordan visiting family...We were going to get started on his Citizenship, but because he needs to be here we will start when he comes home in a couple weeks... I'm so thankful we have a beautiful and loving life together...  My question is concerning my brother in law...

He did live in the U.S. for quite a while... but his family needed him at home so he went back... He had Residency and a Social Security card...which he has lost!! And he doesn't remember the number... He would like to come back here for a visit... They are not going to just give me his S.S. number if I call the office... so my question is... Can he get a visitors visa to come here and take care of his S.S.? Is there a way for him to get his number over in Jordan? Or what would he need to do? Would H being a Legal Resident be able to bring him here? 

Thank you all so much for your help with this issue if your able to answer the questions I have.

Edited by Ontarkie
edited to removed personal information

On 3/19/2022 at 12:13 AM, H&I said:

Hi everyone..My name is D  ..My husband H and I were married in 2010 in Jordan...and he came to the US in 2012..we have a nice home out in the country..and he is a Department Manager for (removed).. Has worked hard to have a good life and take care of his family...He is doing amazingly well..very successful..I'm so proud of him...He is currently in Jordan visiting family...We were going to get started on his Citizenship, but because he needs to be here we will start when he comes home in a couple weeks... I'm so thankful we have a beautiful and loving life together...  My question is concerning my brother in law...

He did live in the U.S. for quite a while... but his family needed him at home so he went back... He had Residency and a Social Security card...which he has lost!! And he doesn't remember the number... He would like to come back here for a visit... They are not going to just give me his S.S. number if I call the office... so my question is... Can he get a visitors visa to come here and take care of his S.S.? Is there a way for him to get his number over in Jordan? Or what would he need to do? Would H    being a Legal Resident be able to bring him here? 

Thank you all so much for your help with this issue if your able to answer the questions I have.

Not sure I understand why he needs it?

He certainly does not need an SSN to apply for a B visa.  Similarly, he does not need to travel here to "take care" of his SS.   I'm not even really sure what you mean by that.  He can contact the US Social Security Administration about his lost card.   And anyone with $160 can apply for a B visa.

And he applies all on his own - you and your husband do not have a role to play in that, since there is no sponsorship for visitor visas.

Edited by Ontarkie
edited quote to removed personal information

Timeline

Thank you, Jorgedig.. You are so kind to answer.. The reason I was asking is because when he filled out the replacement application it asks for his number...I didn't know he could skip over that part if he don't know it... so he didn't finish the application...and I don't know why I'm putting the 2 together myself...SS and Visa...I think I'm just very tired...please forgive me...I will give him the information you have passed on...  Thank you, thank you again for your help and expertise in this matter.                                    PS...I see you came from N.Z... I love that country so much... My daughter lived there for a while... in Upper Hut... I visited a few times while she was there... One of my favorite countries in the world.  Hope you have an amazing weekend.  :) 

5 minutes ago, H&I said:

Thank you, Jorgedig.. You are so kind to answer.. The reason I was asking is because when he filled out the replacement application it asks for his number...I didn't know he could skip over that part if he don't know it... so he didn't finish the application...and I don't know why I'm putting the 2 together myself...SS and Visa...I think I'm just very tired...please forgive me...I will give him the information you have passed on...  Thank you, thank you again for your help and expertise in this matter.                                    PS...I see you came from N.Z... I love that country so much... My daughter lived there for a while... in Upper Hut... I visited a few times while she was there... One of my favorite countries in the world.  Hope you have an amazing weekend.  :) 

Thank you!

Actually, my husband is the kiwi.  I have only been there once, but we are hoping to go back this year, now that the borders are to be opened once again.  It is also one of my favorite countries!

Right the SSN and visas are totally separate.  Most people coming over on visitor visas will not have an SSN.  

I don't know the specific process for obtaining a replacement SS card if you don't know the number, but I'm sure if he contacts the SSA, he can find out.

In any case, there wouldn't be any reason he would need the number if he just wants to visit.  And if the plan is to petition him for an immigrant visa, it would be 20 years before he would need his SSN.

Timeline

I really hope you go back...and have a wonderful time...I also visited the South Island while I was there and went on a helicopter up to one of the glaciers and made snow angels with my daughter...and went whale watching...whales are a lot bigger when your in a boat...LOL...I would love to have a home in the mountains there...

I passed your information to my husband Hamada... When I spoke with my brother in law he didn't indicate what his exact plans are...but we will help him if he decides he wants to stay... I'm excited to see him if he comes to visit.   Thank you again, Jorge for all your help... it was very kind of you!! :)

6 hours ago, H&I said:

I really hope you go back...and have a wonderful time...I also visited the South Island while I was there and went on a helicopter up to one of the glaciers and made snow angels with my daughter...and went whale watching...whales are a lot bigger when your in a boat...LOL...I would love to have a home in the mountains there...

I passed your information to my husband Hamada... When I spoke with my brother in law he didn't indicate what his exact plans are...but we will help him if he decides he wants to stay... I'm excited to see him if he comes to visit.   Thank you again, Jorge for all your help... it was very kind of you!! :)

You bet.

Just keep in mind that he cannot visit with the intent to immigrate, as that is fraud.

And if your husband is now a USC, he may want to file a family preference petition for his brother asap, as the wait for an available visa is at least 15-20 years, maybe more.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post and a quote edited to removed all personal information. PLease do not post any personal information on VJ the forums are public and can be read by anyone. Some with not the best of intentions~~

~~Thread also moved to Tourist visas, from Bringing Family of PR~~

Edited by Ontarkie
Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Husband is a Permanent Resident and will be some time before he will be a Citizen and can petition his Brother.

In the meantime his Brother can certainly apply for a Tourist Visa. 

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Timeline

Actually he can contact the US consulate and they can look up his ss number. My wifes niece was here in 1994 when she was 16. At the time she was able to obtain a ss number(rules were different then). As a 16 year old she of course lost the card. Years later she needed the number and told me she used to have a number. I explained the numbers are for life.  She made an appointment at the US Citizen Service Dept at the Rio De Janeiro consulate. While they couldnt look it up they contacted the US Embassy in Buenos Aires who looked it up and emailed it to her. She has not been in the US in close to 15 years and it would be difficult for her to obtain a tourist visa. But she still has her SS number. So you really dont have to come back to the US to resolve this

also FYI my BIL was an exchange student outside Louisville 40 years ago. He thought he might have had a number. When they were up here on vacation a few years ago we drove to the local office. They checked it and he did not have a number.

Edited by LEISEROM

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.