highvoltage

SSN SAVE status issue

22 posts in this topic

Hi All,

We have this strange issue where we had applied for SSN about 5 weeks ago. Now the status on USCIS save check shows up as "case returned to the agency". After seeing that i call up the SSA office and ask them about the status they say that its not yet finished with the verification process and that i need to wait.

"

Case Status

case-closed.png Case Returned to Agency

Description

SAVE has returned your case to Maryland - Social Security Administration, SSA (Single Signon) (WS37).

What Do I Do Next?

Please contact  Maryland - Social Security Administration, SSA (Single Signon) (WS37) to get more information about your case status.

""

I have called SSA office told them about it as well but they are just asking to wait. Has anyone also faced the same issue?

Hi HighVoltage,

From my experience with this a few months back, after ticking the D 260 box and waiting, and waiting and it never turned up, I had to then get an  appointment at the local SS office. After submitting the paper application at the appointment along with my ID documents etc,   SAVE showed exactly the same as yours has;  with the tick on "Case Returned to Agency". and "SAVE has returned your case to Maryland - Social Security Administration, SSA (Single Signon) (WS37)."

I then received the SSN in the mail about 6 days later. Hopefully yours in on the way. Give it another week and maybe try ringing them again if it hasn't turned up. I know how you feel- It can be very frustrating! 😣 Hang in there.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

I believe the OP is in the US as a K1.

@highvoltage, could you update your profile and also fill out a timeline?  Right now your profile states "Naturalization".

2 hours ago, SteveInBostonI130 said:

I believe the OP is in the US as a K1.

@highvoltage, could you update your profile and also fill out a timeline?  Right now your profile states "Naturalization".

This is for my fiancé. 

6 hours ago, Immi_Enthusiast said:

Hi HighVoltage,

From my experience with this a few months back, after ticking the D 260 box and waiting, and waiting and it never turned up, I had to then get an  appointment at the local SS office. After submitting the paper application at the appointment along with my ID documents etc,   SAVE showed exactly the same as yours has;  with the tick on "Case Returned to Agency". and "SAVE has returned your case to Maryland - Social Security Administration, SSA (Single Signon) (WS37)."

I then received the SSN in the mail about 6 days later. Hopefully yours in on the way. Give it another week and maybe try ringing them again if it hasn't turned up. I know how you feel- It can be very frustrating! 😣 Hang in there.

Thanks a ton for the information. Did you reach dhs by any chance to get your i94 cleared? I think ssa is intentionally delaying so that the i94 expires.

Background of the topic,

My status is that i am a naturalized US citizen.

This is for my fiance who is here on a K1 visa. So we have applied for SSN about 5 weeks back. When called and asked about the status we are being told that the i94 check has not finished. When checked on the save USCIS case check it says its been returned to SSA. I am not sure who to trust now. I dont even know as to why they are taking such a long time. We have raised a congressional complaint as well.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
On 3/5/2022 at 9:51 PM, highvoltage said:

Background of the topic,

My status is that i am a naturalized US citizen.

This is for my fiance who is here on a K1 visa. So we have applied for SSN about 5 weeks back. When called and asked about the status we are being told that the i94 check has not finished. When checked on the save USCIS case check it says its been returned to SSA. I am not sure who to trust now. I dont even know as to why they are taking such a long time. We have raised a congressional complaint as well.

We had the same issue as well. My husband applied in person for his SSN back in September, and his I 94 was good until December. We never heard anything from the SS office or anyone else even though the SAVE system had all boxes checked, stating all cases returned. Only a few weeks ago did we receive a vaguely worded letter from the SS office to basically come back later with a work permit and apply again.

In our situation, my husband can not get a drivers license, joint bank account, attend school, or even volunteer (due issues with background checking abilities), so he was feeling pretty stuck without a SSN, and everything not having a number bars you from doing.

A couple of weeks ago, we, too, reached out to a congressperson as well who put in a inquiry with USCIS for us and received the following response:

”In late 2021, USCIS decided that with their processing of cases, they were going to eliminate the step of people having to go to the SSA office to receive their cards and USCIS would work directly with SSA instead on the issuance. Obviously that’s not working.”

I’m not sure I totally understand why USCIS’s process change resulted in a rejection of my husband’s application, but our congressperson went on to file an expedite of our work permit application, which was actually approved the other day, so now we have that to submit to the SS office with our second attempt at receiving a number. 

I’m not sure if your wife intends to work and has also filed for a work permit, but if you can expedite the permit, that may be a work-around for you. 

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

23 hours ago, JennaL said:

We had the same issue as well. My husband applied in person for his SSN back in September, and his I 94 was good until December. We never heard anything from the SS office or anyone else even though the SAVE system had all boxes checked, stating all cases returned. Only a few weeks ago did we receive a vaguely worded letter from the SS office to basically come back later with a work permit and apply again.

In our situation, my husband can not get a drivers license, joint bank account, attend school, or even volunteer (due issues with background checking abilities), so he was feeling pretty stuck without a SSN, and everything not having a number bars you from doing.

A couple of weeks ago, we, too, reached out to a congressperson as well who put in a inquiry with USCIS for us and received the following response:

”In late 2021, USCIS decided that with their processing of cases, they were going to eliminate the step of people having to go to the SSA office to receive their cards and USCIS would work directly with SSA instead on the issuance. Obviously that’s not working.”

I’m not sure I totally understand why USCIS’s process change resulted in a rejection of my husband’s application, but our congressperson went on to file an expedite of our work permit application, which was actually approved the other day, so now we have that to submit to the SS office with our second attempt at receiving a number. 

I’m not sure if your wife intends to work and has also filed for a work permit, but if you can expedite the permit, that may be a work-around for you. 

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, We did apply for EAD concurrently with AOS as its free. We have finished the biometrics hoping that EAD can be looked into at the earliest. We called SSN office and they said to come in and speak to them directly. Hopefully they have some answers. Atleast if the office doesnt want to give the K1 applicants, can they atleast give us a denial letter. What reason did you give for expediting your case?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Norway
Timeline
12 hours ago, highvoltage said:

Thank you so much for the detailed explanation, We did apply for EAD concurrently with AOS as its free. We have finished the biometrics hoping that EAD can be looked into at the earliest. We called SSN office and they said to come in and speak to them directly. Hopefully they have some answers. Atleast if the office doesnt want to give the K1 applicants, can they atleast give us a denial letter. What reason did you give for expediting your case?

For the work permit expedite, our congressperson handled that, so I am not sure what she said in her request. I am guessing it was just the fact that we had applied for the SSN within a reasonable timeframe before the I94 expired and a mention of all of the difficulties we were encountering with my husband not having a number, and how a work permit would allow us a second attempt at receiving a number.  We just received notice that the work permit has now been printed, so we plan to take that directly to the SS office as soon as it arrives and hope they don't drag their feet in assigning a number this time around. 

I-129F Sent: 12/29/17

I-129F NOA 1: 1/4/18

I-129F NOA 2: 7/9/18

NVC Received: 7/18/18

Consulate Received: 8/9/18

Packet 3 Received: 8/13/18

Interview Date: 9/20/18

Interview Result: Administrative Processing

*Visitor's visa interview: December 2016, called back by embassy for second interview on same visa application in January 2019 - visitor's visa finally issued May 2019.

*Fiance visa placed in administrative processing September 2018. 

*Beneficiary's Country: Norway via Iran.

• 2 months later...

Applied in September 2021. I-94 was well in date. Local office waited so long to send my application that the i94 expired… so I had to wait until I received my green card so that I could get the SSN with that. Received my green card in early March 2022 and still haven’t got my SSN. Local office told me that since I didn’t have my SSN yet, I should apply in their office. I did so, bringing my green card with me as new evidence and they said there was an issue so I had to go home and wait for a response. Later found out that their new application had now conflicted with my existing SSN application that was with my green card application… 

the whole thing has been ridiculous and the local office are now just putting me through to voicemail when I tell them my name!! They all seem shocked that I still don’t have my SSN but no one seems willing to help. The save database has now finally showed that everything has returned but my local office still say that it hasn’t. The save database has said that for almost 2 weeks now, yet I still have no response from any office…  

On 6/6/2022 at 3:42 PM, CharlieMoss96 said:

Applied in September 2021. I-94 was well in date. Local office waited so long to send my application that the i94 expired… so I had to wait until I received my green card so that I could get the SSN with that. Received my green card in early March 2022 and still haven’t got my SSN. Local office told me that since I didn’t have my SSN yet, I should apply in their office. I did so, bringing my green card with me as new evidence and they said there was an issue so I had to go home and wait for a response. Later found out that their new application had now conflicted with my existing SSN application that was with my green card application… 

the whole thing has been ridiculous and the local office are now just putting me through to voicemail when I tell them my name!! They all seem shocked that I still don’t have my SSN but no one seems willing to help. The save database has now finally showed that everything has returned but my local office still say that it hasn’t. The save database has said that for almost 2 weeks now, yet I still have no response from any office…  

I dont know where you live, but you should follow up with your congressman. Ask them to put in a query to SSA agency. Once they have a complaint/query on record they will definitely respond back?

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/13/2022 at 4:25 AM, highvoltage said:

I dont know where you live, but you should follow up with your congressman. Ask them to put in a query to SSA agency. Once they have a complaint/query on record they will definitely respond back?

Hi, thanks for the response. Been back and forth with the congressman twice now. Both times have been very helpful actually. This last time, I got my social security card produced the next day lol. Received it in the mail last week 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.