q-panic

One-Way Plane Ticket and K1-Visa

18 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

I have to buy my ticket soon to come to the USA. Usually they ask you for your return flight. Is this also true for K1-Visa holders? The K1-visa doesn't allow me to stay obviously, so do they demand that you actually have a return flight ticket although it is totally clear that once there one will marry and not return to one's home country?

I could get a one-way ticket with British Airways for half the price (around 450 Euros) than a regular two-way ticket. If I can safe a couple of hundred bucks I would more than gladly do so. I will need it.

Thanks for your help.

Timeline

03/09/2007 - I-129F petition sent to NSC

03/13/2007 - I 129F petition received @ NSC

03/19/2007 - NOA1

05/31/2007 - NOA2

07/17/2007 - original VISA Interview appointment (could not attend; request for new appointment)

08/14/2007 - new VISA Interview appointment

08/20/2007 - receive K-1 Visa

08/26/2007 - entering the USA

09/04/2007 - getting married

09/14/2007 - filing for AOS

10/24/2007 - receive Request of Initial Evidence

12/21/2007 - appointment at local USCIS (I-765 pending longer than 90 days)

12/10/2007 - receive appointment letter to capture biometrics for 12/26/2007

12/12/2007 - just go to the local USCIS office with my appointment letter, they take biometrics

12/12/2007 - two hours later I receive an e-mail update for my case: EAD approved

12/24/2007 - EAD arrives in mail, but has the wrong birthdate on!

01/07/2008 - re-apply for EAD

01/25/2008 - receive corrected EAD

02/19/2008 - AOS approved

02/28/2008 - receive Permanent Resident Card

I have to buy my ticket soon to come to the USA. Usually they ask you for your return flight. Is this also true for K1-Visa holders? The K1-visa doesn't allow me to stay obviously, so do they demand that you actually have a return flight ticket although it is totally clear that once there one will marry and not return to one's home country?

I could get a one-way ticket with British Airways for half the price (around 450 Euros) than a regular two-way ticket. If I can safe a couple of hundred bucks I would more than gladly do so. I will need it.

Thanks for your help.

One-way tickets are perfectly ok - not an issue in any way for a K-visa holder. They won't demand proof of a return ticket.

Save as much money as you can - not to worry :thumbs:

just one way!!! well good luck for ur interview !!!please be aware of ar/ap after interview!!! i am sure it doesnt happend there in country!!!

have a good day

Thanks for your help.

Edited by jarl

04/08/2013 received NOA1 1-130 FOR PARENT

????????

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

You can buy whichever is cheaper, one way or round trip, it doesn't matter.

(Puerto Rico) Luis & Laura (Brazil) K1 JOURNEY
04/11/2006 - Filed I-129F.
09/29/2006 - Visa in hand!

10/15/2006 - POE San Juan
11/15/2006 - MARRIAGE

AOS JOURNEY
01/05/2007 - AOS sent to Chicago.
03/26/2007 - Green Card in hand!

REMOVAL OF CONDITIONS JOURNEY
01/26/2009 - Filed I-751.
06/22/2009 - Green Card in hand!

NATURALIZATION JOURNEY
06/26/2014 - N-400 sent to Nebraska
07/02/2014 - NOA
07/24/2014 - Biometrics
10/24/2014 - Interview (approved)

01/16/2015 - Oath Ceremony

*View Complete Timeline

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Thanks for your help.

While it may be true that the K-1 visa provides the holder with only a 90 day authorized stay. There is "implied" intent that you will follow through on the conditions set forth and that you will in fact marry and stay, therefore no issue with return tickets.

YMMV

one way and have a safe trip :thumbs:

"Daca voi nu ma vreti, io va vreau"

DCF Frankfurt Germany

01/12/2007 I-130 filed in person at the Consulate in Frankfurt

01/17/2007 Faxed the checklist to the Immigrant Visa Unit in Frankfurt

03/29/2007 Got letter from USCIS to provide evidence that our marriage is bona fide

04/02/2007 Sent to USCIS lots of evidence

05/03/2007 I have an unofficial "PETITION APPROVED" ...waiting for confirmation from Consulate

05/07/2007 Received email from USCIS ROME confirming that our petition was approved (why Rome? because we complained to the District Office Rome about the Sub-Office Frankfurt..it took too long for our petition to be approved)...now waiting for the interview letter from the Consulate

05/18/2007 E-mail from IV Frankfurt, our interview was scheduled for May 29th

05/19/2007 Packet 4 in the mail: ja ja ja interview letter

05/29/2007 Interview at 7.30 a.m. APPROVED Thank you, God!

06/01/2007 Visa arrived !

06/03/2007 Mayday on the plane POE Cincinnati

Living in Maryland

06/21/2007 Welcome Notice from USCIS

06/29/2007 Applied for SSN at the local Office

07/07/2007 Green Card arrived

07/09/2007 Another 2 Welcome Letters from USCIS...God, they really love me! :D

07/20/2007 Social Security Card arrived

Living@working in Maryland :)

01/18/2009 PCS-ing to Stuttgart Germany

Feb 2009 Received letter from VSC to start removing conditions.

Getting ready the packet for Removing Conditions I-751

03/12/2009 Mailed the I-751 packet to Vermont Service Center

One way tickets are cheaper than round trips, but two one ways tickets are more expensive. You should consider the possibility that once you arrive, the situation you were expecting might not be what you wanted. I'm not suggesting that it will not work but just recommending alternatives. Consider the possibilities and then make your decision. You can buy a round trip with a 90 day return to give yourself the maximum time possible. As for legality, one way tickets are acceptable.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Oh, hell no.....if you are going into it with that kind of thinking, Happy, then why bother?

One way is fine.

Life's just a crazy ride on a run away train

You can't go back for what you've missed

So make it count, hold on tight find a way to make it right

You only get one trip

So make it good, make it last 'cause it all flies by so fast

You only get one trip

One way is fine. They won't question you at the POE. :)

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

You can buy whichever is cheaper, one way or round trip, it doesn't matter.

:yes::thumbs:

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

i used a one-way ticket, got through things just fine and saved a huge chunk of money to boot!

*Cheryl -- Nova Scotia ....... Jerry -- Oklahoma*

Jan 17, 2014 N-400 submitted

Jan 27, 2014 NOA received and cheque cashed

Feb 13, 2014 Biometrics scheduled

Nov 7, 2014 NOA received and interview scheduled

MAY IS NATIONAL STROKE AWARENESS MONTH
Educate Yourself on the Warning Signs of Stroke -- talk to me, I am a survivor!

"Life is as the little shadow that runs across the grass and loses itself in the sunset" ---Crowfoot

The true measure of a society is how those who have treat those who don't.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
One way tickets are cheaper than round trips, but two one ways tickets are more expensive.

That really depends on the country and airline. There are many occasions where returns are actually cheap than one-ways.

Nini & Bee,

But they - the airline staff - may question you at the POD.

A small risk, I think, but a bigger risk than the POE and not to be overlooked in the discussion.

Yodrak

Point taken! I forgot that not all airports have pre-departure US immigration clearance as the major Canadian airports, etc do.

Nini - Vancouver BC, Canada (she's the one who does the forum thing)

Bee - Devon PA, USA (he's the one who gave her the shiny ring)

Getting our sanity tested by bureaucracy since 2007.

Here we go again...

Removal of conditions @ VSC

9/4/2010 - sent!

9/14/2010 - NOA

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.