Morrisbythesea

N600 for minor child outside the US

7 posts in this topic

Hi, 

I need advice. I am a US citizen by naturalization because my parents were born and raised there.  I want to apply for n600 for my 5 year old. My kids were born in Turkey. I currently live here with my wife, and we want to naturalize him, we were able to naturalize my oldest years ago here in Turkey. But the situation changed and I lost all of my documents when my house burnt down. so now I cant prove that I lived in the US.  I want to apply for him here through the US consulate just like I did for my oldest son, but I dont know if that is the best option or should I come with him to the US and apply there? 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

26 minutes ago, Morrisbythesea said:

Hi, 

I need advice. I am a US citizen by naturalization because my parents were born and raised there.  I want to apply for n600 for my 5 year old. My kids were born in Turkey. I currently live here with my wife, and we want to naturalize him, we were able to naturalize my oldest years ago here in Turkey. But the situation changed and I lost all of my documents when my house burnt down. so now I cant prove that I lived in the US.  I want to apply for him here through the US consulate just like I did for my oldest son, but I dont know if that is the best option or should I come with him to the US and apply there? 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

When did you live in the US? What proof did you use before? 

Did you study there K-12 or university? You can apply for copies of your school transcripts as proof of residency.

https://tr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/child-family-matters/birth/

Edited by Kor2USA

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

If you are living in Turkey now, I think CRBA is the better path for your son.

Did you file an N600 for your oldest child or did you do it via CRBA?  If by N600 perhaps USCIS has a copy of that petition and you can use that copy's evidence?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 hours ago, Morrisbythesea said:

I lost all of my documents when my house burnt down. so now I cant prove that I lived in the US. 

Without these documents your child won’t be able to obtain USA citizenship through USCIS unless USCIS applies logic and reasons that if it granted a certificate of citizenship to the elder sibling it shoukd grant one to the to younger sibling.  You get just one opportunity to apply for N-600. Thus I would not go the N-600 route (and for that matter would not have for the elder child).  

Instead you should apply for a CRBA for the younger child if under age 18. And for that matter the older child if still younger than age 18. 

But either way you still need documents showing your physical presence in the USA.  Bringing your child to the USA doesn’t affect whether you can prove physical presence or not.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

do u meet the 5 year requirement?

A child’s U.S. citizen parent must meet the following physical presence requirements:

• The parent has been physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for at least 5 years; and

• The parent met such physical presence for at least 2 years after he or she reached 14 years of age.

15 minutes ago, Morrisbythesea said:

And when I apply for CRBA can I apply for him for a US passport as well at the same time?

Yes. 

ROC 2009
Naturalization 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.