7 posts in this topic

My wife came here on Dec 2020 and we got married in Jan 2021. She received her SSN around Jan 2021. For 2020 year tax, i filed single. This year we are filing joinly and i am wondering how we are going to go around this? I recieved the third round of economic impact, but my wife never did since we didnt file joinly last year. Is she eligible to get the tax relief for not getting the economic impact last year?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, klam133 said:

My wife came here on Dec 2020 and we got married in Jan 2021. She received her SSN around Jan 2021. For 2020 year tax, i filed single. This year we are filing joinly and i am wondering how we are going to go around this? I recieved the third round of economic impact, but my wife never did since we didnt file joinly last year. Is she eligible to get the tax relief for not getting the economic impact last year?

Yes.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

17 hours ago, klam133 said:

When you do your taxes, it will show up on line 30 on your 1040 through your tax software or by your preparer and either reduce your balance due or come back as a refund or both.  You don't have contact the government or apply anywhere else, it will be part of your tax return.

2 hours ago, Merica-n said:

When you do your taxes, it will show up on line 30 on your 1040 through your tax software or by your preparer and either reduce your balance due or come back as a refund or both.  You don't have contact the government or apply anywhere else, it will be part of your tax return.

So she is eligible for the 1400 bucks since she has been in the US the whole year and she got her GC in August last year?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
47 minutes ago, klam133 said:

So she is eligible for the 1400 bucks since she has been in the US the whole year and she got her GC in August last year?

She is eligible because she was a full year resident alien in 2021 that cannot be claimed as a dependent on anyone else's tax return with a valid social security card issued by the due date of the tax return.

Please note the income limits under the Who's eligible for the third economic impact payment found here:  

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-b-eligibility-and-calculation-of-the-third-payment

Edited by Merica-n
fix hyperlink

3 minutes ago, Merica-n said:

She is eligible because she was a full year resident alien in 2021 that cannot be claimed as a dependent on anyone else's tax return with a valid social security card issued by the due date of the tax return.

Please note the income limits under the Who's eligible for the third economic impact payment found here:  

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/questions-and-answers-about-the-third-economic-impact-payment-topic-b-eligibility-and-calculation-of-the-third-payment

So if we file joinly this year, and we definitely below 150k mark, she will be eligible for the 1k4 economic impact then.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
8 minutes ago, klam133 said:

So if we file joinly this year, and we definitely below 150k mark, she will be eligible for the 1k4 economic impact then.

Spouse’s not even in the US a whole year (2021) are eligible as long they have a SSN issued before filing deadline April 18, 2022 or by the October deadline for those filing an extension. 

Edited by Wuozopo

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.