HaydenCorneau

Income requirement question

39 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi, everyone. I am looking to get a k-1 visa to go to the us and marry my girlfriend. Currently, she is not working due to a medical issue, but her Father indicated that he would be able to co sponsor for me. Her step mother also is working, and stated she would help with it too.

Their combined income would most certainly meet the HHS poverty guidelines. 

What forms would I submit to show that I would be supported financially during my process in the US?

Edited by HaydenCorneau

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
9 minutes ago, HaydenCorneau said:

Hi, everyone. I am looking to get a k-1 visa to go to the us and marry my girlfriend. Currently, she is not working due to a medical issue, but her Father indicated that he would be able to co sponsor for me. Her step mother also is working, and stated she would help with it too.

What forms would I submit to show that I would be supported financially during my process in the US?

Your fiancée and her parents fill out I-134 forms and you provide these to the consulate.  

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Your fiancée and her parents fill out I-134 forms and you provide these to the consulate.  

Right, so would they both be sufficient if they together meet the income requirements? Would they fill out their own separate forms for the i-134 support documents? 

My apologies for the silly questions. As many things are scrutinized, I want to try and have an expert opinion.

Edited by HaydenCorneau

Timeline
30 minutes ago, Mike E said:

This might be relevant 

Interesting. I asked her and she said they filed their taxes together as married. 

Edited by HaydenCorneau

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
25 minutes ago, Mike E said:

This might be relevant 

Yes, and the US citizen fiancé would still need to fill out a separate I-134 even if her income is below the HHS poverty guidelines. I'm glad her mom and stepdad are willing to help. :)

Timeline
9 minutes ago, DE CS said:

Yes, and the US citizen fiancé would still need to fill out a separate I-134 even if her income is below the HHS poverty guidelines. I'm glad her mom and stepdad are willing to help. :)

Good to know.

Thanks for the swift reply. I'm going to shoot a quick email to the US consulate in Montreal and I'll do some additional research just to be on the safe side. 

Me and her are really good together, and her step mom and father are 100% willing to help.

I have a plan for the period where I'm applying for permanent residency as well, should everything go according to plan.

I've had to do a lot of research on the united states, because I previously had no interest until my met her lol. She's the first person that truly made me feel like I had a drive to do something. I feel this motivation that extends beyond just simple urges. It's a genuine desire to build a life and contribute to society that I never had before.

Edited by HaydenCorneau

Timeline
1 hour ago, HaydenCorneau said:

FWIW, you could also consider the CR1 visa if you are able to both marry in Canada, especially now that borders are open. It takes a little longer than a K-1, but it greatly reduces the bureaucracy after the visa is granted because you would have a green card on arrival and would be able to work immediately and return to Canada for family visits provided you maintain at least 6 months continuous presence in the US in any 365 day period. With a K-1, you can't work immediately and will have to wait until you obtain your EAD card. You will also be stuck in the USA until you get your AP or greencard. A K-1 essentially doubles the bureaucracy, but you get to start living together in the US a tad sooner, but your freedom to work and travel internationally is restricted for a while.

If you are curious, you can search for Immigration Timelines, Canada and then filter on K-1 or CR-1. This will give you a sense of differences in timing between the two options. Ultimately, you should go with whichever option is best for your circumstances. However, it is prudent to weigh both options when making a decision.

Timeline

Good to know.

Thanks for the swift reply. I'm going to shoot a quick email to the US consulate in Montreal and I'll do some additional research just to be on the safe side. 

Me and her are really good together, and her step mom and father are 100% willing to help.

I have a plan for the period where I'm applying for permanent residency as well, should everything go according to plan.

I've had to do a lot of research on the united states, because I previously had no interest until my met her lol. She's the first person that truly made me feel like I had a drive to do something. I feel this motivation that extends beyond just simple urges. It's a genuine desire to build a life and contribute to society that I never had before.

Aww. That's very heartwarming to hear. Thanks for sharing about your love and commitment to one another as well as the family support you are both receiving. I am cheering for you guys. ❤️ :) 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, DE CS said:

Aww. That's very heartwarming to hear. Thanks for sharing about your love and commitment to one another as well as the family support you are both receiving. I am cheering for you guys. ❤️ :) 

No problem, thanks for the advice!! :). She just informed me that they file taxes jointly. They have a big family, so her dad wouldn't be enough on his own, but he is married. My thought is that it'll appear on the tax return, since they apparently file jointly.

He's like 5 thousand off of the household requirements going by his hourly wage and yearly income. I'm a very anxious man when there's something really important to me. I lose a lot of sleep over this stuff lol. I actually traveled outside of my province and country, on my own, for the first time when I went to see her. The entire relationship with her has been the absolute definition of a journey.

Edited by HaydenCorneau

Timeline

No problem, thanks for the advice!! :). She just informed me that they file taxes jointly. They have a big family, so her dad wouldn't be enough on his own, but he is married. My thought is that it'll appear on the tax return, since they apparently file jointly.

He's like 5 thousand off of the household requirements going by his hourly wage and yearly income. I'm a very anxious man when there's something really important to me. I lose a lot of sleep over this stuff lol. I actually traveled outside of my province and country, on my own, for the first time when I went to see her. The entire relationship with her has been the absolute definition of a journey.

I understand your anxiety. If her parents are married and file jointly, then this will be necessary to be above the threshold. The K-1's I-134 is shorter and has a slightly lower minimum threshold than the I-864 (CR-1 or Adjustment of Status/AOS). The second form will need to be filed later in the process once you adjust status in the US on your K-1. The USCIS processes the I-864 a bit more rigorously than consulates do with the I-134.

Timeline
1 minute ago, DE CS said:

I understand your anxiety. If her parents are married and file jointly, then this will be necessary to be above the threshold. The K-1's I-134 is shorter and has a slightly lower minimum threshold than the I-864 (CR-1 or Adjustment of Status/AOS). The second form will need to be filed later in the process once you adjust status in the US on your K-1. The USCIS processes the I-864 a bit more rigorously than consulates do with the I-134.

Thanks for the information. You've saved me a ton of headaches lol. I'm going to stockpile a ton of money and plan everything out some more.

I used to have a ton of possessions, but I sold them off to make sure I could transition to the US easily and hassle-free. Her parents recently told me that they'd get me a job at one of their local grocery stores too, and that they'd even put me on their phone family plan with them. They've basically accepted me as family at this point. 

Timeline
11 minutes ago, HaydenCorneau said:

Thanks for the information. You've saved me a ton of headaches lol. I'm going to stockpile a ton of money and plan everything out some more.

I used to have a ton of possessions, but I sold them off to make sure I could transition to the US easily and hassle-free. Her parents recently told me that they'd get me a job at one of their local grocery stores too, and that they'd even put me on their phone family plan with them. They've basically accepted me as family at this point. 

That's great. Do they own the grocery stores? If so, there may be other options to include in their joint co-sponsorship form.

Probably premature to be selling your stuff.   You have a couple of years before you’ll get a visa.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
8 hours ago, HaydenCorneau said:

What forms would I submit

Whether you choose a K-1 or get married and apply for a CR-1, the USC girlfriend/spouse submits the forms, for K-1 it is a 129F, for CR-1 it is an I-130.  Your girlfriend should join VJ and do the research as she gathers the documents and submits the petition on your behalf.  I-134 or I-864 for financial sponsorship is a long way off, after the petition has been approved and you are preparing for the visa interview.  Either way it will be around 2 years.  Montreal is very backed up for interviews.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.