Gloom

Do we need a Joint Sponsor? A couple questions.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hey all, my wife and I are currently working on the Adjustment Of Status packet. The most recent tax transcripts that are available are for 2020 as this tax season doesn't end until April.

In 2020, I only made $2000 over the 125% Poverty Guideline of $21,775 which is nice to see but doesn't seem like enough to me.

However, in 2021, I made $6000 over the guideline which is definitely better than $2000. The thing is, is that the $6000 can't be reflected in my tax transcripts as 2020 is still the most recent tax year.

If I provide pay stubs from lets say the last 6 months showing that I've made $6000 over the guideline along with a statement from my bank of how much I have in my checking and saving account, do you think that that would be enough for us not to need a joint sponsor? My brother said he would be our joint sponsor if we need one so we have that covered but we'd like to do it without a sponsor if possible.

Let me know your thoughts and if you think we'll be okay, thanks! 

If you have everything you need to file your 2021 taxes, I would do that now, and include a copy of the tax return (with all the forms). The paystubs are also a good idea to add. Bank statements are only needed if you are using assets in addition to income, but then those assets will need to be in your account for a longer time (we were asked in an RFE to provide 12 months worth of bank statements for savings we included as assets).

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
15 hours ago, Gloom said:

Hey all, my wife and I are currently working on the Adjustment Of Status packet. The most recent tax transcripts that are available are for 2020 as this tax season doesn't end until April.

In 2020, I only made $2000 over the 125% Poverty Guideline of $21,775 which is nice to see but doesn't seem like enough to me.

However, in 2021, I made $6000 over the guideline which is definitely better than $2000. The thing is, is that the $6000 can't be reflected in my tax transcripts as 2020 is still the most recent tax year.

If I provide pay stubs from lets say the last 6 months showing that I've made $6000 over the guideline along with a statement from my bank of how much I have in my checking and saving account, do you think that that would be enough for us not to need a joint sponsor? My brother said he would be our joint sponsor if we need one so we have that covered but we'd like to do it without a sponsor if possible.

Let me know your thoughts and if you think we'll be okay, thanks! 

Two different requirements.

1. Current Annual Income. This number is equal to the sponsor salary or hourly wage*hours per week*52. This number reflects the sponsor's current situation, not 2021, not 2020 (unless self employed). To prove this income, I recommend to send paystubs and an employment verification letter. This number is before any deductions (like 401k, transit, medical).

2. Send the most recent tax transcript, and include the total income from the last 3 returns. These numbers won't necessarily match the number mentioned on #1.

Timeline
On 1/24/2022 at 4:22 PM, Marieke H said:

If you have everything you need to file your 2021 taxes, I would do that now, and include a copy of the tax return (with all the forms). The paystubs are also a good idea to add. Bank statements are only needed if you are using assets in addition to income, but then those assets will need to be in your account for a longer time (we were asked in an RFE to provide 12 months worth of bank statements for savings we included as assets).

Thank you very much for your response! I went ahead and filed my taxes last night, I only had one W-2 to worry about, I printed the Form 1040 afterwards along with 6 months worth of paystubs. I plan on calling my employer tomorrow to get a verification letter from them as well for extra proof. My next question, if you would know, being as I'm only a few thousand dollars above the Poverty Guideline I feel like a safe bet to provide more evidence of stable finances is to fill out Part 7. with my assets. I don't own any real estate, just stocks. Should I provide bank statements along with my year end stock portfolio to show evidence of my numbers? Or is this entirely unneeded as I already make above the Poverty Guideline.

Thanks again!

Timeline
18 hours ago, Ayrton said:

Two different requirements.

1. Current Annual Income. This number is equal to the sponsor salary or hourly wage*hours per week*52. This number reflects the sponsor's current situation, not 2021, not 2020 (unless self employed). To prove this income, I recommend to send paystubs and an employment verification letter. This number is before any deductions (like 401k, transit, medical).

2. Send the most recent tax transcript, and include the total income from the last 3 returns. These numbers won't necessarily match the number mentioned on #1.

Thank you very much for your response! I will be calling my employer tomorrow for a verification letter for extra evidence along with 6 months worth of paystubs. 

2 minutes ago, Gloom said:

Thank you very much for your response! I went ahead and filed my taxes last night, I only had one W-2 to worry about, I printed the Form 1040 afterwards along with 6 months worth of paystubs. I plan on calling my employer tomorrow to get a verification letter from them as well for extra proof. My next question, if you would know, being as I'm only a few thousand dollars above the Poverty Guideline I feel like a safe bet to provide more evidence of stable finances is to fill out Part 7. with my assets. I don't own any real estate, just stocks. Should I provide bank statements along with my year end stock portfolio to show evidence of my numbers? Or is this entirely unneeded as I already make above the Poverty Guideline.

Thanks again!

I would add the assets if you can. My husband was also just a little bit above the required income, and we received an RFE and ended up including assets in our response to the RFE

Technically your income is sufficient, but they look at the totality of your circumstances and if you income was lower in previous years it might be difficult to get approved based on just your income.

Make sure to go through the I-864 instructions; there is a section about the kind of evidence they want to see if you include assets.

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Marieke H said:

I would add the assets if you can. My husband was also just a little bit above the required income, and we received an RFE and ended up including assets in our response to the RFE

Technically your income is sufficient, but they look at the totality of your circumstances and if you income was lower in previous years it might be difficult to get approved based on just your income.

Make sure to go through the I-864 instructions; there is a section about the kind of evidence they want to see if you include assets.

Thank you again for your response. I'm looking at the instructions and they don't specifically ask for bank statements for that section. The instructions say: 

Item Numbers 1. - 4. Assets. To use your own assets, you must complete Part 7., Item Numbers 1. - 4. and submit
corresponding evidence with this affidavit. Supporting evidence must be attached to establish location, ownership, date of
acquisition, and value of any real estate holding.

Going off of your situation do you think I should provide 12 months of bank statements as evidence? Is there anything else you would suggest?

Again, thank you so much! It's been overwhelming with all of these forms.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.