Steve2022

medical expedite waiting for interview IR1

19 posts in this topic

Hi, I'd like to know if it would be smart to expedite.   We were DQ'd 30 days ago, and I am having neck problems, cervical disc problems.  I cannot attend to all of my responsibilities (I'm a rancher) because of this medical issue, and I cannot travel because of it, and it would help a lot if my wife were here to help out.  Someone told me on Facebook that if you're already at the NVC stage for the Philippines, it won't help to expedite, because there are already too many expedited cases.  They said it is better to just wait.  Now I'm thinking about blowing $4000 on a lawyer to send a letter to the Embassy in Manila.  Now I know I don't have to spend this money, but I need my wife here yesterday, and I want it done right.  So don't try to talk me out of spending the money.  But I don't want to file for an expedite if it won't even be faster.  So please tell me, what is the deal with every single expedite request, even frivolous ones, being approved by the Manila Embassy?  Is that really happening?  And does this affect a legitimate request?   Thank you.

Edited by Steve2022

10 hours ago, Steve2022 said:

We were DQ'd 30 days ago

Just checking -- you received the email saying the case has been DQ-ed?  I ask because for an IR1 case, it's surprising that you have not received the interview letter after 30 days.  In recent months, CR1/IR1 cases get scheduled within 3-4 weeks of DQ.  Mine was scheduled 3 weeks from DQ date.  No expedite.

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Just checking -- you received the email saying the case has been DQ-ed?  I ask because for an IR1 case, it's surprising that you have not received the interview letter after 30 days.  In recent months, CR1/IR1 cases get scheduled within 3-4 weeks of DQ.  Mine was scheduled 3 weeks from DQ date.  No expedite.

Yes, we got the email saying we are documentarily qualified on Dec 23rd.  I just checked CEAC and it is still at NVC.  PD in early June.  It started as a CR1 and was converted to IR1 while at NVC.  From what I could tell looking at other people's timelines, it seemed like it might take 1-3 months, but it is hard to tell because many timelines don't have the exact time between DQ and IL. A Rapidvisa agent told me it could take 1-5 months but I don't put a lot of stock in that.    I'm happy to hear that you got yours in 3 weeks, that makes me hopeful.   Thank you!

Going back a few months, while I was waiting for our cases to get interview dates I looked everywhere I could come up with any data points about how cases were progressing from DQ to interviews in USEM.  Based on like 20-30 cases I found where people self-reported plus our own cases I concluded that USEM was totally caught up on CR/IR1-2 cases and they were going from DQ to being assigned interview dates within  month or so whether they were expedited or not.  I could not see a pattern where expediting made a meaningful difference, and all cases seemed to move quickly after DQ.  I almost suspected they may be expediting anyone who asked, based on the flimsiest of reasons, on the basis that there was no backlog so they could expedite at will.  Like.... 'no one else is in line...so sure we'll expedite you.... why not.   There were actually like two outliers where expedited cases were inexplicably delayed and it might be plausible that they got mixed up in the Embassies chaotic scheduling of other cases rescheduled due to sputum test delays or other issues, whereas the cases scheduled by NVC were "50 interviews slots showed as available by the Embassy,,,, 38 cases are documentarily qualified,  EVERYONE gets an interview date."  

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My two children's cases were DQ's on November 8, 2021 for IR-2 visas.  My status still shows at NVC and have not received an interview letter for either.   I'm kind of at a loss as well because it seems people have been getting quicker interviews.  

This is what the US Embassy at Manila says for IR-2 status, that cant be right can it?  

Immigrant Visa (IV):  The Embassy is processing immigrant visas across all categories. However, with significant backlogs in most categories, wait times for interviews are lengthy for all but immediate relatives (IR-1 through IR-5).  It is not possible to provide precise wait times as facilities, staffing resources, and local conditions all affect capacity and scheduling. As of December 31, 2021, most IR visa cases being scheduled for interview were documentarily complete at the National Visa Center in December 2020. Most K visa cases being scheduled were documentarily complete in August 2021. Most current employment-based cases being scheduled were documentarily complete in March 2020. Most current family preference cases were documentarily complete in August 2019.

On 1/28/2022 at 4:54 PM, top_secret said:

Going back a few months, while I was waiting for our cases to get interview dates I looked everywhere I could come up with any data points about how cases were progressing from DQ to interviews in USEM.  Based on like 20-30 cases I found where people self-reported plus our own cases I concluded that USEM was totally caught up on CR/IR1-2 cases and they were going from DQ to being assigned interview dates within  month or so whether they were expedited or not.  I could not see a pattern where expediting made a meaningful difference, and all cases seemed to move quickly after DQ.  I almost suspected they may be expediting anyone who asked, based on the flimsiest of reasons, on the basis that there was no backlog so they could expedite at will.  Like.... 'no one else is in line...so sure we'll expedite you.... why not.   There were actually like two outliers where expedited cases were inexplicably delayed and it might be plausible that they got mixed up in the Embassies chaotic scheduling of other cases rescheduled due to sputum test delays or other issues, whereas the cases scheduled by NVC were "50 interviews slots showed as available by the Embassy,,,, 38 cases are documentarily qualified,  EVERYONE gets an interview date."  

THANK YOU for your detailed answer!  I think that based on this, we will not expedite.  Do you have a spreadsheet of the data you compiled? 

9 hours ago, IWander said:

It can be correct.  3 months from DQ would be unusually fast even before the pandemic

Fast for what kind of visa?   Other people are saying that longer than 1 month would be slow for an IR1.   You can't lump all IR visas together because it is my understanding that they are prioritized differently.  

9 hours ago, srg3037 said:

This is what the US Embassy at Manila says for IR-2 status, that cant be right can it? 

They have lumped all the different IR cases into one category, which makes the information less useful.

21 minutes ago, Steve2022 said:

THANK YOU for your detailed answer!  I think that based on this, we will not expedite.  Do you have a spreadsheet of the data you compiled? 

Fast for what kind of visa?   Other people are saying that longer than 1 month would be slow for an IR1.   You can't lump all IR visas together because it is my understanding that they are prioritized differently.  

They have lumped all the different IR cases into one category, which makes the information less useful.

I don't lump all IR visas into on bucket.  2 to 3 month wait before the pandemic was probably the norm for IR1/2.  Having a 1 month expectation during the pandemic is well...,. If you want the real story for Manila, go to the Philippines regional forum where others similarly situated can advise.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 1/29/2022 at 11:53 PM, IWander said:

I don't lump all IR visas into on bucket.  2 to 3 month wait before the pandemic was probably the norm for IR1/2.  Having a 1 month expectation during the pandemic is well...,. If you want the real story for Manila, go to the Philippines regional forum where others similarly situated can advise.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding  but we are in the Philippines regional forum, this is where the original thread was posted.  Anyways it seems like the everyone has had a different experience and it changes month to month.  For some it was month, some 3 and some longer.  I'm at 3 months and some are telling me that is longer than most.  I will put in a expediated request since my daughters' living situation was essentially destroyed in Super Typhoon Rai last month. 

On 1/29/2022 at 11:26 PM, Steve2022 said:

I would personally still expedite.  It is just an email to NVC, it cant hurt and it is easy to draft as long as you include the information they require.   I was originally told it would only take a month to get an interview date and I'm now at 3 months.   In hindsight and also because of the effects of the typhoon I should of expedited sooner.  

I would love to see what anyone else has scene with IR1/2.   I know for top_secret they have said it took a month but maybe that is not the norm.   It certainly has not been the case for me.  

On 1/31/2022 at 12:18 PM, srg3037 said:

I would personally still expedite.  It is just an email to NVC, it cant hurt and it is easy to draft as long as you include the information they require.   I was originally told it would only take a month to get an interview date and I'm now at 3 months.   In hindsight and also because of the effects of the typhoon I should of expedited sooner.  

I would love to see what anyone else has scene with IR1/2.   I know for top_secret they have said it took a month but maybe that is not the norm.   It certainly has not been the case for me.  

Unless they request more information, like doctor's notes and everything just gets dragged out.  I'm having a hard enough time and don't 'have time to worry about a properly submitted expedite request,   By the time I get that done, may already have been approved anyway.   top_secret and an admin of a Facebook group said the same thing, to just wait.   Not worth it to expedite at NVC stage for Manila and won't be faster, they say.  Rapidvisa only recommends doing it if it is a "life or death" situation.  

Well, it feels like life or death, especially when sitting here in the hospital with my mother and I don't know if she will get to meet her in person or not.  But I've been told it has to be about me and my wife, nobody else.  Is this true?  I've got pretty bad medical problems right now but that isn't the hardest thing.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/28/2022 at 4:54 PM, top_secret said:

I could not see a pattern where expediting made a meaningful difference,

Can someone please tell me can I just call the Manila Embassy and get a heads up on when we might expect to get our Interview Letter?  Is that something I can do?  60 days now and no IL.  Thanks.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
4 minutes ago, Steve2022 said:

Can someone please tell me can I just call the Manila Embassy and get a heads up on when we might expect to get our Interview Letter?  Is that something I can do?  60 days now and no IL.  Thanks.

You have to be patient and wait.  They will not be able to tell you anything.  Covid.  Lots of couples ahead of you waiting for interviews.

7 minutes ago, Steve2022 said:

Can someone please tell me can I just call the Manila Embassy and get a heads up on when we might expect to get our Interview Letter?  Is that something I can do?

Emailing them via their public inquiry form might be more effective than calling their hotline -- https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/immigrant-visa-inquiry-form/

1 hour ago, Chancy said:

Emailing them via their public inquiry form might be more effective than calling their hotline -- https://ph.usembassy.gov/visas/immigrant-visas/immigrant-visa-inquiry-form/

Thank you.  I did this. 

submitted_inquiry.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.