Romin

Do I need to notarize EVERYTHING I submit?

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

I am currently filing I-130 for my wife via online and was wondering if I need to notarize the copy of EVERY document that I upload to site - for example my US citizen passport, my birth certificate etc or does it only need to be documents that are in different languages (notarized with official translation)?

Also guys - If I was initially a permanent resident and then became a US citizen, do I still need to list my A number (I still have an old copy of permanent resident card) or do I just use my US passport? 

Thank you guys. 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Read the I-130 instructions.  Nothing is required to be notarized.   Anything not in English needs to be translated with an accompanying certification by the translator.

Fill in your A number.  

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Just to add to what @aaron2020 says, the certified translation can be done by anyone fluent in both languages and the certification is just a short statement at the end of the translated document. There is no need to hire or pay for a translation service. 

Chinese documents would be at least one exception to the above, as they must be official translations from the Chinese government office.  But, essentially, this is correct.  Note also that to Notarize is something very different from to "Certify" a translation, or a copy of a document.  

Important advice is to read instructions and form questions carefully, interpret them literally and act accordingly.  Avoid the temptation to engage in "in other words" kinds of thinking.  The actual words on forms and in instructions are (with few exceptions) carefully chosen and intended to be understood "literally".

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

I have been reading older posts and you have really contributed in helping many people.  I am a little shocked you responded to my question, thank you so much for clarifying. I might be overthinking some things like you said. My marriage certificate in foreign language (Nepali) was translated but has a blank on both of our photos and instead has "Sd" written on it. Similar to the seal of the court. Could you or anyone verify if this is an acceptable translated copy in the picture below? 

translated.JPG

Edited by Romin

2 minutes ago, Romin said:

I have been reading older posts and you have really contributed in helping many people.  I am a little shocked you responded to my question, thank you so much for clarifying. My marriage certificate in foreign language (Nepali) was translated but has a blank on both of our photos and instead has "Sd" written on it. Also the seal of the court. Could you or anyone verify if this is an acceptable translated copy in the picture below? 

translated.JPG

It is perfectly acceptable -using squares instead of images is customary for professional translations-.

Timeline

Thank you! And one more thing, would you recommend I type in my A-number from the past if I am a US citizen (got it before age 18 via my parents who were naturalized).  I did have a permanent resident card briefly and have a copy of it with the A-number but seems like US citizens don't have an A number? 

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 minutes ago, Romin said:

Thank you! And one more thing, would you recommend I type in my A-number from the past if I am a US citizen (got it before age 18 via my parents who were naturalized).  I did have a permanent resident card briefly and have a copy of it with the A-number but seems like US citizens don't have an A number? 

Looks like a professional translation to me.  With regard to the A-number, you're overthinking again.  It's a question.  Answer it.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

58 minutes ago, Romin said:

Your A-number is part of your file as an immigrant even after naturalization.

2 hours ago, Romin said:

I have been reading older posts and you have really contributed in helping many people.  I am a little shocked you responded to my question, thank you so much for clarifying. I might be overthinking some things like you said. My marriage certificate in foreign language (Nepali) was translated but has a blank on both of our photos and instead has "Sd" written on it. Similar to the seal of the court. Could you or anyone verify if this is an acceptable translated copy in the picture below? 

translated.JPG

That’s what our translation looks like

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.