radrac

N400 filing while waiting for Removal of Conditions

35 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
12 hours ago, Corey911 said:

don't they need a reason not submitting within the 90 day window?

As I'm doing everything on time, I really miss the details what if you miss the dates to file.

My wait for the N400 interview will be over in 2 months and I'm glad I didn't wait for ROC to be approved first!

Not for the N400.  There is no requirement to naturalize at all, and in fact some people may wait years before they decide to file the N400, or not do it at all and remain a LPR renewing their GC every 10 years.  Naturalization is a personal choice.  

Now for the I751/ROC, this is a requirement for those that have a conditional green card, and yes, for this process you must file within the 90 day window, and if a person misses that window, they would have to provide an explanation as to why they failed to meet the filing deadline.

Your case is similar to my wife's.  We looked at the I751 as a somewhat meaningless requirement, but of course we followed it and filed on time.  Then as soon as her N400 window opened up, she filed (about two weeks after the window opened) and had her oath ceremony about six months later.  She never actually ever received a 10 yr GC as it was unnecessary, she was able to apply for her US passport instead.

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, Rocio0010 said:

I understand 100%. I think a lot of it has to do with the amount of preparation that every step needs (at least for me, because I'm an anxious person!)

As soon as my AOS was approved, I grabbed an envelope as "ROC evidence" and started collecting evidence little by little for about a year and a couple months. So then when it was time to put the ROC package together, I didn't have to dig too much. Once I send the ROC package I will still collect evidence in case I get a RFE down the road (I hope not, I am almost sending them our kitchen appliances!) and also I am starting to collect evidence for N400, though from what I've read is not nearly as much.

I just want to get this done!

Well, you are better off than we are!  I’m just annoyed by the entire process, to be honest. I’m not really liking the whole idea where it’s almost like a ‘guilty until proven innocent’ feeling…. I don’t like having to compile so much evidence.  We have for the RoC and will do what it takes for the N400.  But I still don’t like it :P 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Thailand
Timeline

We are going to be in the same boat since Potomac is currently about 24 months processing time, and we just filed for ROC.   But we are simply planning to submit the N400 as soon as possible, so that means about 1 year before ROC is supposed to be approved.     We intend to follow all the N400 requirements as noted on the instructions.   While they MAY be adjudicated at the same time, they may not be.

Timeline
On 1/14/2022 at 6:39 AM, Dashinka said:

Your case is similar to my wife's.  We looked at the I751 as a somewhat meaningless requirement, but of course we followed it and filed on time.  Then as soon as her N400 window opened up, she filed (about two weeks after the window opened) and had her oath ceremony about six months later.  She never actually ever received a 10 yr GC as it was unnecessary, she was able to apply for her US passport instead.

Excellent info.

• 4 weeks later...
Timeline

I was thinking about this topic again today.   I wanted to know if the N400 is processed by the same "service centers" that process the i-751, or is it the local office who handled the green card ?   According to the processing times website, looks like the regional service centers handle the i-751 but the local offices handle the n400.  

https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.