AA&S

Citizenship eligibility , conditions still not lifted

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mauritius
Timeline

Hello, i have applied to remove conditions since last year feb 2021.

they sent me a letter as an extension for 18 months. Which means right now my conditional visa is still valid while they are processing it. 

To apply citizenship, it requires myself to have 3 years of greencard.

Technically, in March 2022 i should be eligible but i have not my permission hasn’t been lifted yet. Anyone going through the same situation or knows more about it.

from Minnesota.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

You can apply for citizenship as soon as you become eligible whether the I-751 has been adjudicated or not.  Under the 3 year rule, that would be:

1.  Married to a US citizen for 3 years AND

2.  Have a Green Card for 3 years.

You can submit the N-400 in the 90 day window prior to the above. 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

You can apply for citizenship as soon as you become eligible whether the I-751 has been adjudicated or not.  Under the 3 year rule, that would be:

1.  Married to a US citizen for 3 years AND

2.  Have a Green Card for 3 years.

You can submit the N-400 in the 90 day window prior to the above. 

Regarding (1) There is no early filing for the marriage part or marriage to a U.S. citizen part 

Example 1:

Date of marriage: April 1, 2019.  
Resident since:  April 7, 2019

Nominal early filing date; January 8, 2022 (it’s a leap year)

And if you file January 8 (today) your N-400 will go all the way to interview and be denied.  The reason since there is no early filing for marriage part. There is only early filing for the LPR part.  You can file April 1, 2022

I haven’t seen one of the above cases because a duration filing + approval less than  90 days  after marriage is rare.  It was however common before 1986 (I became an LPR a week after getting married and would have been ensnared by this had I filed in 1988).  

Example 2:

Date of marriage: April 1, 2018.  
Spouse was an LPR at the time with a pending N-400

Date spouse became a citizen: May 1, 2019

And if you file January 8 (today) your N-400 will go all the way to interview and be denied.  The reason since there is no early filing for years of marriage to a citizen  part. There is only early filing for the LPR part.  You can file May 1, 2022

This situation is not so rare.  I saw a case last year where by the time of the interview, the LPR’s spouse was a citizen for 3 years but  the spouse was not a citizen for 3 years at the time the N-400 was filed.  At the interview the N-400 case was rejected.  

The USCIS N-400 calculator can and will mislead one.  

USCIS has a more rigorous tool one should use instead:

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship-resource-center/learn-about-citizenship/naturalization-eligibility

This tool looks at today’s date and explicitly asks about 3 year early filing window in terms of a range of dates.  For example, given today is January 8, if asks if you bexame an LPR between April 7, 2017 and April 7, 2019. You select that range, click through, and are asked if you are married to a U.S. citizen.

If you select yes, you are asked if you have been married 3 years or more.  That question is literally meant as 3 years or from as of today’s date.  It then asks if your spouses has been a citizen 3 years or more.  Again literally meant as of today.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
8 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Regarding (1) There is no early filing for the marriage part or marriage to a U.S. citizen part 

Example 1:

Date of marriage: April 1, 2019.  

And if you file January 8 (today) your N-400 will go all the way to interview and be denied.  The reason since there is no early filing for marriage part. There is only early filing for the LPR part.  You can file April 1, 2022

I haven’t seen one of the above cases because a duration filing + approval less than  90 days  after marriage is rare.  It was however common before 1986 (I became an LPR a week after getting married and would have been ensnared by this had I filed in 1988).  

Example 2:

Date of marriage: April 1, 2018.  
Spouse was an LPR at the time with a pending N-400

Date spouse became a citizen: May 1, 2019

And if you file January 8 (today) your N-400 will go all the way to interview and be denied.  The reason since there is no early filing for years of marriage to a citizen  part. There is only early filing for the LPR part.  You can file May 1, 2022

This situation is not so rare.  I saw a case last year where by the time of the interview, the LPR’s spouse was a citizen for 3 years but  the spouse was not a citizen for 3 years at the time the N-400 was filed.  At the interview the N-400 case was rejected.  

The USCIS N-400 calculator can and will mislead one.  

USCIS has a more rigorous tool one should use instead:

https://www.uscis.gov/citizenship-resource-center/learn-about-citizenship/naturalization-eligibility

This tool looks at today’s date and explicitly asks about 3 year early filing window in terms of a range of dates.  For example, given today is January 8, if asks if you bexame an LPR between April 7, 2017 and April 7, 2019. You select that range, click through, and are asked if you are married to a U.S. citizen.

If you select yes, you are asked if you have been married 3 years or more.  That question is literally meant as 3 years or from as of today’s date.  It then asks if your spouses has been a citizen 3 years or more.  Again literally meant as of today.  

OK.  So, a person can file in the 90 day window proceeding the part # 2 in my post, as long as he/she has been married to a US for 3 years when applying.....correct? 

Edited by Crazy Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Crazy Cat said:

OK.  So, a person can file in the 90 day window proceeding the part # 2 in my post, as long as he/she has been married to a US for 3 years when applying.....correct? 

I think the way you are staying it is subject to misinterpretation.

Less ambiguous would be:

On the date and time of filing:

1. One has been married for at least 3 years to someone who has been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years, AND

2. One has been an LPR for at least 3 years less 90 days.  

It is complex enough that 

is the better way to answer it, but that does depend on USCIS’s software prowess which is always questionable.  

Edited by Mike E

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

I think the way you are staying it is subject to misinterpretation.

Less ambiguous would be:

On the date and time of filing:

1. One has been married for at least 3 years to someone who has been a U.S. citizen for at least 3 years, AND

2. One has been an LPR for at least 3 years less 90 days.  

It is complex enough that 

is the better way to answer it, but that does depend on USCIS’s software prowess which is always questionable.  

OK.  That sounds good.  That makes it very clear.  Thanks. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.