Mimonix

Green Card Interview In Jan 2022

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Hello Guys, I will be appearing for my Green Card interview next month at the New Jersey USCIS field office. I've few questions regarding the preparation for the interview, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I came to US in 2013 for my masters and completed my 3 years of OPT. Applied for H1b visa but didn't get picked, so had to enroll into CPT and finished another masters. After the end of which I decided that I would apply for asylum in the end of  2020, but got married last year in 2021. So my lawyer told me not to withdraw my asylum application (was completed till the biometrics step before i got married) and said they might grill me at the interview but it shouldn't be a big problem as the marriage is a legitimate marriage. I wanted to ask whether me doing 2 masters and filling the asylum would be of any problem? and how should I prepare for the questions related to the same that might come up in the interview. Also it might be possible, that my lawyer would be out of country next month, so would his absence affect my chances at the interview? is it required for a lawyer to be present at the interview?

Please help me with your suggestions, thanks in advance.

Edited by Mimoha Singh

"What makes someone American isn't just blood or birth but allegiance to our founding principles and faith in the idea that anyone -- from anywhere -- can write the next chapter of our story" - Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Mimoha Singh said:

Hello Guys, I will be appearing for my Green Card interview next month at the New Jersey USCIS field office. I've few questions regarding the preparation for the interview, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I came to US in 2013 for my masters and completed my 3 years of OPT. Applied for H1b visa but didn't get picked, so had to enroll into CPT and finished another masters. After the end of which I decided that I would apply for asylum in the end of  2020, but got married last year in 2021. So my lawyer told me not to withdraw my asylum application (was completed till the biometrics step before i got married) and said they might grill me at the interview but it shouldn't be a big problem as the marriage is a legitimate marriage. I wanted to ask whether me doing 2 masters and filling the asylum would be of any problem? and how should I prepare for the questions related to the same that might come up in the interview. Also it might be possible, that my lawyer would be out of country next month, so would his absence affect my chances at the interview? is it required for a lawyer to be present at the interview?

Please help me with your suggestions, thanks in advance.

A lawyer is not required.

I think you're lawyer is correct, and you should be prepared for scrutiny.  Looks like your goal all along was to be in the US at any cost.

Timeline
14 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

A lawyer is not required.

I think you're lawyer is correct, and you should be prepared for scrutiny.  Looks like your goal all along was to be in the US at any cost.

Thanks for your response. Do you know what kind of questions to expect regarding my situation? Also even though I know its gonna be a lot of scrutiny but do I stand any chance of getting approved? 

"What makes someone American isn't just blood or birth but allegiance to our founding principles and faith in the idea that anyone -- from anywhere -- can write the next chapter of our story" - Barack Obama

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Mimoha Singh said:

Thanks for your response. Do you know what kind of questions to expect regarding my situation? Also even though I know its gonna be a lot of scrutiny but do I stand any chance of getting approved? 

The chance of approval depends on the strength of your application.  If you are in a genuine relationship and the marriage is bona-fide, then the likelihood of approval is good.  If not, then not.

Timeline
Just now, SteveInBostonI130 said:

The chance of approval depends on the strength of your application.  If you are in a genuine relationship and the marriage is bona-fide, then the likelihood of approval is good.  If not, then not.

Yeah I know, i guess i'm just nervous and anxious, thanks though!

@Mimoha Singh Do not let anyone corner you into saying that your goal was to be in the US all along. You did a masters, H1B did not work out, then did a second masters, applied for asylum and then met your current spouse. Whatever, just go through the motions and present solid evidence of everything. It may just be simple interview. If it makes you feel more secure, then see if your lawyer can suggest another lawyer from his/her practice to go with you.

We brought a lawyer to the AOS interview mostly to ensure that we would be treated fairly. And we were.

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Timeline
5 hours ago, USC4SPOUSE said:

@Mimoha Singh Do not let anyone corner you into saying that your goal was to be in the US all along. You did a masters, H1B did not work out, then did a second masters, applied for asylum and then met your current spouse. Whatever, just go through the motions and present solid evidence of everything. It may just be simple interview. If it makes you feel more secure, then see if your lawyer can suggest another lawyer from his/her practice to go with you.

We brought a lawyer to the AOS interview mostly to ensure that we would be treated fairly. And we were.

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement, have been preparing for the interview to tackle questions regarding my h1b, 2nd masters and asylum, also have asked the lawyer to send someone if possible. Hope everything goes well, again thank you responding!

Good luck for the interview. Can you roughly share your AOS timeline ( application /bio/interview date)?  Just trying to figure out how long the process takes In NJ. 

Thank you!

Timeline
22 hours ago, madisonsquare said:

Good luck for the interview. Can you roughly share your AOS timeline ( application /bio/interview date)?  Just trying to figure out how long the process takes In NJ. 

Thank you!

Thanks, so USCIS received my application around mid August, I got a receipt in 10 days (standard receipt notice) and another in a week stating that they would be reusing my biometrics from asylum so I don't need to attend one. After that nothing for 3 1/2 months, and in mid December my status changed to Interview Scheduled for January, hope that helps.

Edited by Mimoha Singh

On 1/5/2022 at 3:16 PM, Mimoha Singh said:

Thanks, so USCIS received my application around mid August, I got a receipt in 10 days (standard receipt notice) and another in a week stating that they would be reusing my biometrics from asylum so I don't need to attend one. After that nothing for 3 1/2 months, and in mid December my status changed to Interview Scheduled for January, hope that helps.

6 months! That’s fair. Good luck for you guys. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/3/2022 at 6:27 PM, Mimoha Singh said:

Thanks for your kind words of encouragement, have been preparing for the interview to tackle questions regarding my h1b, 2nd masters and asylum, also have asked the lawyer to send someone if possible. Hope everything goes well, again thank you responding!

And so  what if you wanted to stay in the US? Who cares? Just bring your evidence and do not let anyone put words in your mouth. Officers ask questions in such a way that prompt you to respond. However, if you disagree with anything they state on their question, you must correct or clarify and THEN answer the question. :) 

You're a highly educated immigrant. The US is LUCKY to have you. 

I-751 Joint Filing.

06-15-2021 - Case was updated to show fingerprints were taken. 

05-26-2021 - Received NOA/extension letter. Notice date and postmarked 05-20-2021.

05-23-2021 - Received text message with Receipt #. YSC Potomac Center.

05-21-2021 - Checks cashed (processing on joint checking account)

05-07-2021 - I-751 received in Arizona.

Marriage-based AOS - Concurrent filing.

05-07-2019 - AOS Approved. Resident since date 05/07/2019.

05-06-2019 - AOS Interview

04-23-2018 - "Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview"

03-16-2018 - Priority Date.

Timeline
On 1/19/2022 at 1:45 PM, USC4SPOUSE said:

And so  what if you wanted to stay in the US? Who cares? Just bring your evidence and do not let anyone put words in your mouth. Officers ask questions in such a way that prompt you to respond. However, if you disagree with anything they state on their question, you must correct or clarify and THEN answer the question. :) 

You're a highly educated immigrant. The US is LUCKY to have you. 

Thanks, points duly noted...this is very helpful, appreciate it!

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Guys I had my interview today, it didn't started well but in the end the IO told me first that she would fill in the paperwork today and that I would be getting my green-card within 3 weeks. Than she went ahead to walk me and my lawyer out and told my wife who was waiting outside the same thing again. I checked my status now after 5 hours and it hasn't changed yet, it still shows interview scheduled. What time it takes on average for the status to change online? I know I should give it some more time, but I'm very excited and was just curious lol, thanks in advance!

7 hours ago, Mimoha Singh said:

Guys I had my interview today, it didn't started well but in the end the IO told me first that she would fill in the paperwork today and that I would be getting my green-card within 3 weeks. Than she went ahead to walk me and my lawyer out and told my wife who was waiting outside the same thing again. I checked my status now after 5 hours and it hasn't changed yet, it still shows interview scheduled. What time it takes on average for the status to change online? I know I should give it some more time, but I'm very excited and was just curious lol, thanks in advance!

Congrats on finishing the interview! It really depends and can take hours to days to months. If you can tell us why you think it didn't go so well we might be able to provide more insight.

What did the IO ask and how did they respond?

Removal of Conditions (tbd)
2/6/24: I-751 packet shipped via FedEx

2/7/24: delivered and signed for

2/9/24: text message with IOE receipt number received at 12:26pm

2/13/24: I-797 48 month extension letter and biometrics reuse letter available online, case updated to "actively being reviewed"

Adjustment of Status (5 months)
9/13/21: AOS packet shipped via FedEx

9/15/21: delivered and signed for

9/17/21: 4 text messages with IOE receipt numbers received at 8:45pm

9/24/21: Received 4 receipt notices in the mail and online access code

9/25/21: Biometrics scheduled for Philadelphia, ASC

10/18/21: Biometrics appointment completed for I-485 and I-765 (Code 3)
10/18/21: After biometrics, I-485 and I-765 case statuses immediately changed to "case is being actively reviewed"

10/28/21: I-693 deficiency notice uploaded online, case status still, "case is being actively reviewed"

12/29/21: Interview scheduled. Contacted Emma agent and they said it is on 2/7/22

2/7/22: I-485 approved

2/12/22: I-797 approval notice received for I-485 and I-130

2/15/22: Green card delivered by USPS

Timeline
6 hours ago, Pizookie said:

Congrats on finishing the interview! It really depends and can take hours to days to months. If you can tell us why you think it didn't go so well we might be able to provide more insight.

What did the IO ask and how did they respond?

Thanks, I think it didn't started well because the IO was very cold towards us from the very beginning (she didn't greeted us or introduced herself), then she asked both of us questions for 20 mins and then she told me to go outside and wait to be interviewed while she was interviewing my wife...after 1/2 hour i was called in for (20 mins) and my wife was told outside to wait. I knew we were going to be separated for the  interview beforehand (my lawyer told me). I just found IO's behavior to be odd towards us till like the last 10-15 mins of the interview, in the end she was smiling and seemed very friendly. Also the other thing that I found odd was she was trying to stress on two questions the most how was your proposal like? What did we chat about the first time we ever chatted? It's not that I wasn't prepared for them, I tried to answer them as precisely as i could (in a brief manner like my lawyer told me to). But it seemed to me that she wasn't satisfied or seemed convinced with my answers, while I was answering them she kept asking what else? (like she kept digging in). I don't know maybe I'm over analyzing things but I actually thought that the interview was weird till the last 15 mins maybe.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.