nat and dongyoung

K-1 Visa Interview Question!

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hello,

My fiancé and I filed our I-129F form late October and received our NOA1 shortly after. We are still waiting to receive our NOA2. I know this is far ahead but since I recently spoke to an immigration lawyer, I have a few questions about the interview process.

1. My attorney told me that my fiancé and I will BOTH be participating in the interview and that it will be over the phone. We were under the impression that my fiancé (the beneficiary) would be completing the interview at the US Consulate in South Korea by himself, in person. I'm not sure if protocol has changed because of Covid or what not.

2. Can my boyfriend and I provide evidence at the future interview (hoping our petition will be approved firstly), including pictures of us together, letters from our parents supporting our marriage, engagement ring photos, etc.) The reason I ask is because we have only met once within the span of 3 years because his mother was terminally ill and Covid has been an issue for traveling. His country's covid protocol is very strict. We met for the first time late September 2021 and stayed together for about a month which fits into the requirement of meeting within the past 2 years but we're worried about rejection because we've only met once. But we are planning on seeing each other again in February!

Sorry for the long message and thanks for your help :)

Edited by Nat & Dongyoung
Needed to clarify question

You fulfill the requirements with just one meeting and I assume you sent evidence to prove it, right? Your fiance can bring more evidence to the interview but most of the times they don't require it.

Not sure where your lawyer got that information from; the embassy website states nothing about a phone interview.

Regarding the petitioner attending the interview, some countries allow it, some countries require it but majority don't.

In any case, when the petition is approved and a case number assigned, you'll receive the specific instructions on what's next.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: South Korea
Timeline
7 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You fulfill the requirements with just one meeting and I assume you sent evidence to prove it, right? Your fiance can bring more evidence to the interview but most of the times they don't require it.

Not sure where your lawyer got that information from; the embassy website states nothing about a phone interview.

Regarding the petitioner attending the interview, some countries allow it, some countries require it but majority don't.

In any case, when the petition is approved and a case number assigned, you'll receive the specific instructions on what's next.

Thank you for your response! And yes, we initially sent pictures of us together, conversations between family members and I regarding our relationship, Disney ticket receipts, gifts and letters we've sent back and forth over the past few years, etc. along with the I-129F form. I was just wondering if we could provide more evidence, hoping we will be approved, because we will be meeting again within the next few months.

We're thinking of setting up a detailed and organized binder consisting of our wedding plans, of our engagement, and pictures of our families meeting. But we don't want to overdue it because I know the officers don't have the time to look through a bunch of paperwork.

1 hour ago, Nat & Dongyoung said:

Thank you for your response! And yes, we initially sent pictures of us together, conversations between family members and I regarding our relationship, Disney ticket receipts, gifts and letters we've sent back and forth over the past few years, etc. along with the I-129F form. I was just wondering if we could provide more evidence, hoping we will be approved, because we will be meeting again within the next few months.

We're thinking of setting up a detailed and organized binder consisting of our wedding plans, of our engagement, and pictures of our families meeting. But we don't want to overdue it because I know the officers don't have the time to look through a bunch of paperwork.

The evidence they require at the embassy is of an ongoing relationship, not necessarily meeting again, but given that you will be actually seeing each other in person, the most reliable evidence would be passport stamps,, boarding passes and hotel bookings -which would have been better evidence to send when you filed the petition-.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
11 minutes ago, Nat & Dongyoung said:

Nope, I don't see her listed.

I see. 

it is quite possible your lawyer is not an actual lawyer.  Please be careful.  

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

The "advice" given by your lawyer is very incorrect. They would not do any kind of immigration interview in a 3-way call or phone call in general. Please don't go back to her and make sure you don't share any personal identifying information (ie socials).

Definitely check out the South Korea portal to see what people do. For India, my "fiance" brought additional information to the interview since we had submitted the original application: gifts/cards given to each other, screenshots of calls, wedding plans, etc. I did not join him at that interview due to covid restrictions. 

As you're not married yet, there's not a lot of evidence that you can provide, but if you get imaginative there's a whole lot of other sources of evidence like a screenshots of your text messages during time.

Also, make sure four fiancé knows the names of your immediate relatives (siblings and parents), knows where you work, how much you make, etc.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.