Trutta

Is medicaid considered government assistance?

10 posts in this topic

My fiance was approved for marriage based AOS. I make enough money to support us both and I'm well above the federal poverty line.

Today I went to my government portal to purchase health insurance to see what they might charge for this. After entering all my information they say we are eligible for totally free medicaid based on my income.

So I am not poor, not considering poor by the federal guidelines, but I am considered qualified for free medicaid by my state here.

Does this count as "government assistance"? Would it mess anything up with my I-864?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Medicaid is a means tested benefit.  Generally. it's prohibited for new immigrants and is on the list for the I-864.  California allows Medi-Cal (Medicaid) because it doesn't use federal money for new immigrants.

What state are you in?  

8 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

Medicaid is a means tested benefit.  Generally. it's prohibited for new immigrants and is on the list for the I-864.  California allows Medi-Cal (Medicaid) because it doesn't use federal money for new immigrants.

What state are you in?  

Not California.

What if I enroll but she doesn't?

What if I purchase insurance instead? They automatically give a discount based on my income.

Can you give me a link to "the list for the I-864"?

Thanks!

What about this?

USCIS is no longer applying the August 2019 Public Charge Final Rule. As a consequence, among other changes, USCIS will apply the public charge inadmissibility statute consistent with the 1999 Interim Field Guidance. In other words, USCIS is not considering an applicant’s receipt of Medicaid (except for long-term institutionalization at the government’s expense), public housing, or Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits as part of the public charge inadmissibility determination.

https://www.uscis.gov/green-card/green-card-processes-and-procedures/public-charge

Timeline
Just now, Trutta said:

This is the public charge rule for getting a green card.  It doesn't have anything to do with your I-864 obligations.

You can get Medicaid.  Your immigrant wife can not.

Here's the I-864 info.  https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Means-Tested Public Benefits

Federal Means-Tested Public Benefits
Federal means-tested public benefits include food stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and the State Child Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).

State Means-Tested Public Benefits
Each state will determine which, if any, of its public benefits are means-tested. If a state determines it has programs that meet this definition, we encourage them to notify the public on which programs are included. You can also check with the state public assistance office for more information.

Programs Not Included
The following federal and state programs are not included as means-tested benefits:

• Emergency Medicaid;
  • Short-term, non-cash emergency relief;
  • Services provided under the National School Lunch and Child Nutrition Acts;
  • Immunizations and testing and treatment for communicable diseases;
  • Student assistance under the Higher Education Act and the Public Health Service Act;
  • Certain forms of foster-care or adoption assistance under the Social Security Act;
  • Head Start programs;
  • Means-tested programs under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act; and
  • Job Training Partnership Act programs.

2 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

This is the public charge rule for getting a green card.  It doesn't have anything to do with your I-864 obligations.

You can get Medicaid.  Your immigrant wife can not.

Here's the I-864 info.  https://www.uscis.gov/i-864p

Means-Tested Public Benefits

Federal Means-Tested Public Benefits
Federal means-tested public benefits include food stamps, Medicaid, Supplemental Security Income (SSI), Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF), and the State Child Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).

State Means-Tested Public Benefits
Each state will determine which, if any, of its public benefits are means-tested. If a state determines it has programs that meet this definition, we encourage them to notify the public on which programs are included. You can also check with the state public assistance office for more information.

Programs Not Included
The following federal and state programs are not included as means-tested benefits:

• Emergency Medicaid;
  • Short-term, non-cash emergency relief;
  • Services provided under the National School Lunch and Child Nutrition Acts;
  • Immunizations and testing and treatment for communicable diseases;
  • Student assistance under the Higher Education Act and the Public Health Service Act;
  • Certain forms of foster-care or adoption assistance under the Social Security Act;
  • Head Start programs;
  • Means-tested programs under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act; and
  • Job Training Partnership Act programs.

So they don't consider it to let her in the country. But once she is in the country, she can't use it?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Trutta said:

So they don't consider it to let her in the country. But once she is in the country, she can't use it?

If someone was getting Medicaid, it doesn't prevent them from adjusting and getting a green card.

However, immigrants can't use means tested benefits for the first 5 years.  If they do, then the I-864 sponsors are potentially liable to reimburse the US Government.  However, the US Government has no means to recover anything at the moment.  Trump was trying to do it.  Biden put a stop to it.  This is a really gray area of the law.  

7 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

If someone was getting Medicaid, it doesn't prevent them from adjusting and getting a green card.

However, immigrants can't use means tested benefits for the first 5 years.  If they do, then the I-864 sponsors are potentially liable to reimburse the US Government.  However, the US Government has no means to recover anything at the moment.  Trump was trying to do it.  Biden put a stop to it.  This is a really gray area of the law.  

Okay thanks.

This is clear as mud. Thanks for trying to explain.

So she wouldn't be deported or anything? But I might be expected to pay it back. Does anyone ever really have to do that?

The strange thing is at the state marketplace they won't let me pay for insurance that I can see. Once I make my profile with my income all prices automatically drop to $0.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

In the vast majority of States you have to be a LPR for 5 years before you are eligible for Medicaid, now the Computer system for ACA may not pick that up. But it will come up.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
2 hours ago, Trutta said:

Okay thanks.

This is clear as mud. Thanks for trying to explain.

So she wouldn't be deported or anything? But I might be expected to pay it back. Does anyone ever really have to do that?

The strange thing is at the state marketplace they won't let me pay for insurance that I can see. Once I make my profile with my income all prices automatically drop to $0.

With the marketplace, her application will be forwarded to the local state Medicaid authority where it will be rejected due to immigration status. Make one profile for both of you: one household with two members (if you have children then add them too.) It'll automatically decide if Medicaid fits based on your income + household size. If so, the entire application gets forwarded to the local Medicaid people, who will approve you as US citizen but reject the green card holder spouse.

Once the GC holder spouse is rejected, you go back to the Marketplace, tell them she's not eligible for Medicaid and then they will let her apply for a Marketplace plan. Yes, it's convoluted and confusing but it does work once you go through all the steps.

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.