2,964 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Deb22 said:

Good day I would like some advise. I am about to start my VAWA process but I don’t have much proof to show my husband is a USC apart from our marriage certificate and the application for the marriage certificate. I researched online and saw where I could request a copy of his birth certificate by mailing in the application but it has to be notarized. When I went to have it notarized the notary informed me he cannot notarized the application unless my abusive husband was there even when I tried to explain the situation he just didn’t care to listen. Any advise as to how I could go forward? 

Have you tried ordering through Vital Check . If you are spouse you have a right to order his birth certificate. 

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
3 hours ago, Optimistic1986 said:

Hi, thanks for responding but it has the link here in my USCIS account. Do you think I should do this first? 

A381F91A-5E69-4B14-B588-9719C95F2D74.jpeg

You actually received the card.  That is different than when USPS sends your card back for non-delivery.  USCIS will destroy Permanent Resident Cards, Employment Authorization Cards and Travel Documents returned as undeliverable by the U.S. Postal Service after 60 business days if USCIS is not contacted by the document's intended recipient to provide the correct address.

I-90 has a section that allows you to submit when USPS returns your GC

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

On 11/4/2021 at 11:08 PM, Lola_lalo said:

@Shroy123 Thank you very much for checking on me. Just logged in after a long time. My case is still pending. Funny huh?! Case approved on Sep 30 2019. Sent 2nd inquiry for congressman a few days ago. I don't know what to do at this point. God knows. . .

You will get an approval soon !! ❤️❤️

2 hours ago, Pinkrlion said:

You actually received the card.  That is different than when USPS sends your card back for non-delivery.  USCIS will destroy Permanent Resident Cards, Employment Authorization Cards and Travel Documents returned as undeliverable by the U.S. Postal Service after 60 business days if USCIS is not contacted by the document's intended recipient to provide the correct address.

I-90 has a section that allows you to submit when USPS returns your GC

I did not received the card. It was delivered to my lawyer’s office since all of my mails were delivered there. In the tracking number that I have received, it says not delivered because there was an issue with the suite number being wrong. I called USPS and they told me it will be sent back to USCIS. I kept calling USPS local office and they won’t give me any details as to where my package is. I’ve asked for my lawyer to claim it instead at the post office since it was his name and office address but pretty much useless didn’t bother to wait bec he said the line was long and stopped responding to me. I am so desperate and depress. I thought this would be the end of it! He requested to USCIS a change of address ( he said he does know why it wasn’t changed before). Would it confuse USCIS if I’ll do the e-request and place my own address instead? With I-90, do I need to wait until USCIS receives the gc back before I have to request another card? That’s what I’ve been told when I called USCIS. Everything is so messed up! 

Timeline
46 minutes ago, Optimistic1986 said:

I did not received the card. It was delivered to my lawyer’s office since all of my mails were delivered there. In the tracking number that I have received, it says not delivered because there was an issue with the suite number being wrong. I called USPS and they told me it will be sent back to USCIS. I kept calling USPS local office and they won’t give me any details as to where my package is. I’ve asked for my lawyer to claim it instead at the post office since it was his name and office address but pretty much useless didn’t bother to wait bec he said the line was long and stopped responding to me. I am so desperate and depress. I thought this would be the end of it! He requested to USCIS a change of address ( he said he does know why it wasn’t changed before). Would it confuse USCIS if I’ll do the e-request and place my own address instead? With I-90, do I need to wait until USCIS receives the gc back before I have to request another card? That’s what I’ve been told when I called USCIS. Everything is so messed up! 

Since it was determined as nondeliverable by USPS, it is important to contact them before the 60 days.  After the 60 days, they will destroy the card, then you have to pay for the replacement card, and do another biometrics.  When you complete the I-90, you can put whatever address on it.  

1 minute ago, Pinkrlion said:

Since it was determined as nondeliverable by USPS, it is important to contact them before the 60 days.  After the 60 days, they will destroy the card, then you have to pay for the replacement card, and do another biometrics.  When you complete the I-90, you can put whatever address on it.  

Thank you, do I have to do both I-90 and e request?

Timeline
13 minutes ago, Optimistic1986 said:

Thank you, do I have to do both I-90 and e request?

You can try the e-request, if you want, but you already know that the GC was returned.  I would not waste any time on filing an e-request.  I am just letting you be aware of the 60 day deadline when mail is returned.

Edited by Pinkrlion

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline
14 hours ago, Deb22 said:

the notary informed me he cannot notarized the application unless my abusive husband was there

As a general reminder to all, a law-abiding notary will refuse to notarize a document unless all of the parties executing (signing) the document are present in person and have valid identification.

Glad that you found another route for requesting the document.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

It is Sunday, meaning that it is time for our Official Weekly VAWA-Thread Joke*:

*known to evoke approvals and positive progress... that is, if correlation = causation

=======================================================

AN OUNCE OF BRAIN

A man was lying in the hospital, waiting to be the first person in history to receive a brain transplant.

A doctor came in and said, "Congratulations!  But unfortunately, because this is a new procedure, your insurance isn't going to cover it all.  Therefore, we're going to give you 3 choices of brains, and you can decide which you can afford."

"OK -- what are they?" the man asked the doctor.

The doctor said, "Well, first, there's engineer brain, which is $100 an ounce.  Then, there's astrophysicist brain; that will cost you $200 an ounce.  Finally, there's politician brain.  That's the most expensive, at $1,000 an ounce."

The man looked at the doctor, surprised, and said, "That's absurd!  Why is the politician brain so expensive?"

The doctor looked seriously at him and said, "Sir, do you have any idea how MANY politicians it takes to get an ounce of brain?"

:P 

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline
2 hours ago, Fmoyatty said:

Hello everyone, Pls my current work authorization C09 expired in September and i have filled for renewal since May 2021 making it 6months and i have not heard anything about it… is it normal? Although I have extension for 180 days.. but I still wanna knw if it’s normal 

thanks

Yes, my c9 renewal is pending since March 2021. Initial c9 expired in June 2021, 180 day extension expires in early December. I send expedite request for renewal a week ago. Even though EAD adjudication is simple and takes very little time, processing times stretch up to to 13 months. If you can qualify for expedite request, go for it. 

Divorced US citizen spouse in December 2017. 

Filed I-360 on Nov 12, 2019

Filed I485/ C31 EAD / AP in Feb 2020 (Stupid lawyer filed C31 instead of C9, and I didnt know EAD codes, didnt know about this VJ forum either)

On H1b status since 2014, H1b 6 years expired in May 2020. Out of status / Period of authorized stay since then. 

Amended EAD petition to C9 and filed expedite request for same in mid-may 2020. 

C9 EAD approved June 4, 2020. 

Biometrics done in Oct 2020. 

I485 case transferred to NBC for "faster processing" on September 30, 2020

Filed C9 EAD / AP Renewal petition in February 2021. 

Initial Advance Parole (from Feb 2020 application) approved in June 2021. 

C31 EAD production update - Nov 1st, 2021. 

C31 card delivered to attorney's office on Nov 8, 2021. 

I-360 case approved status update - Nov 22, 2021. 

No RFE throughout.  

Senator's office confirmed via congressional inquiry that the St. Louis office has received the I485 file and is currently awaiting interview scheduling - March 7, 2022

C9 EAD renewal card production case update - July 20, 2022 (took them just 17 months to process)

C9 EAD / AP renewal approval case update on both cases on July 21, 2022.

Combo card delivered to attorney's office on July 27, 2022

Medical exam RFE Drama: Second congressional inquiry sent in early July 2022 for I485. USCIS responded on 8/12/22 to this congressional inquiry that they issued an RFE on 5/24/22 and were waiting for my response. My lawyer denied receiving RFE and there was no such update on online USCIS portal. Lawyer's old firm was safe mailing address on my case. Lawyer changed firms a year after I hired her but did not change mailing address for my case with USCIS, she said she had a deal with her old firm to forward all her clients' mail to her new firm. Old firm denied receiving RFE. Sent another congressional inquiry requesting copy of RFE on 8/17/22. I also got medical exam done on 8/17/22 as I assumed RFE was for medical exam (thanks for this forum's insights.) Yelled at lawyer and threatened her with dire consequences. On 8/18/22 my lawyer's old firm finally found scanned copy of RFE in their "archived scans" (whatever the duck that is) and emailed it to me. It was indeed RFE requesting medical exam. On 8/20/22 I mailed medicals sealed packet with copy of RFE to St. Louis field office. Also sent a notarized letter with the packet - updating safe mailing address to my home address and informing St. Louis field office that I fired my lawyer. Sent similar letter to Vermont Service Center on the same date. 

8/23/22 - Fedex confirmed delivery of medicals packet to St. Louis Field Office. 

8/26/22: Case update on I485: New Card Is Being Produced

8/29/22:  On August 29, 2022, we approved your Form I485, APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR ADJUST STATUS

9/3/22 green card delivered to attorney's office (they didn't change safe mailing address despite my written requests to FO AND VSC.) 

9/6/22 VSC returned AR11 and my letter requesting safe mailing address change. In their letter they said something to the effect of "you can do this online, we wont do it via snail mail request etc." Just posting as an FYI, its weird. Also received I485 approval notice on the same date. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Kuwait
Timeline

Hi,
I have a quick question. My vawa was approved back in April 2021. My fingerprints for i-485 have been done on October 4. 2021. How long would it take to get the call of the interview ? My EAD is expiring in April. So, I am little worried. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.