KristineGB

Change of Citizenship

10 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello! I'm not sure which forum this might fit in, but basically, I acquired conditional permanent resident status last August 26, 2020, and I can apply to remove conditions May of 2021.

When I adjusted status, I was still a citizen of the Philippines. However, on June 19, 2021, I became a citizen of Canada. 

Philippine law states that once a person acquires another citizenship, they automatically are stripped of their Filipino citizenship. Thus, the passport that I submitted to USCIS when I applied for my adjustment of status in 2019 is now no longer valid.

I wonder if I need to inform USCIS of this change and how (as I have not found anything online. They only have change of address as an option). Between now and May 2021, when I apply for removal of conditions, would I need to submit a copy of my new Canadian passport or is this something I update WHEN I apply for removal of conditions, on the form i751.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

You provide that info when filling the i751 form.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline
1 hour ago, KristineGB said:

I acquired conditional permanent resident status last August 26, 2020, and I can apply to remove conditions May of 2021.

You're a year off, a typo I guess....

You can file a joint i751 on or after May 27th 2022 to remove your conditions. 

I don’t think your passport change matters much to USCIS for removal of conditions on your LPR. Passport are used for ID only, and if you need a i551 stamp if your i751 takes more than 24 months to adjudicate.

If you living outside the USA a lot that may affect your green card standing if you are in Canada more than the USA.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

12 hours ago, KristineGB said:

Philippine law states that once a person acquires another citizenship, they automatically are stripped of their Filipino citizenship

You can also apply for dual citizenship. Do that and you will still have a Philippine Passport. Problem Solved

Timeline
20 hours ago, arken said:

You provide that info when filling the i751 form.

Thank you! 

9 hours ago, Bob in Boston said:

You can also apply for dual citizenship. Do that and you will still have a Philippine Passport. Problem Solved

True, and I did consider that but I really don't have a desire to be a Philippine citizen again. And the process to do that might just be more tedious than informing USCIS of my citizenship change. hahah.

Timeline
19 hours ago, da95826 said:

You're a year off, a typo I guess....

You can file a joint i751 on or after May 27th 2022 to remove your conditions. 

I don’t think your passport change matters much to USCIS for removal of conditions on your LPR. Passport are used for ID only, and if you need a i551 stamp if your i751 takes more than 24 months to adjudicate.

If you living outside the USA a lot that may affect your green card standing if you are in Canada more than the USA.

Yes! You are correct. It was a typo. Math was never my strongest suit. Lol. I am living in the US and have only spent about 4 days out of the US since I got my green card. 

Thanks for the advice! Advice on VisaJourney is much more helpful than calling the USCIS customer service. The first person told me US does not allow dual citizenship (I schooled him on that). And the second person told me to write a letter to the field office, which I almost did and then upon further research, found that the field office is primarily for appointments and such. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, KristineGB said:

Thanks for the advice!

I did take a quick look at i751 form, it does ask about your citizenship. If you are called in for an interview you can update your i751 form then with your updated citizenship info with the officer interviewing you.

If you get an RFE you could also update them then.

If you wanted to update USCIS with your change of citrzenship on the i751 in the near future yourself, the only way would be to write a letter to the USCIS office that is handling your case (The address on your most recent receipt notice, most likely your receipt notice with the extension) to advise them of your citizenship change. (include your A-number, copy of the new passport page and enclose a copy of your receipt notice).

I don't think this happens much so you kinda on your own with this issue. 

I think this has no impact on the ROC, but you don't want USCIS to think you are not forthcoming with the information required on the i751 form. It is interesting that you became a citizen of Canada while you are a US legal permanent resident.

Edited by da95826

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

Timeline
38 minutes ago, da95826 said:

I don't think this happens much so you kinda on your own with this issue. 

I think this has no impact on the ROC, but you don't want USCIS to think you are not forthcoming with the information required on the i751 form. It is interesting that you became a citizen of Canada while you are a US legal permanent resident.

Right. I always seem to be in the most complicated situations. I will look into that - informing the last office that sent my NOA. The last was when my LPR was approved. That is exactly what I did not want for USCIS to think - that I am not forthcoming with info. 

i had already applied for citizenship in Canada prior to me moving here. i knew the process would take a year. I pursued it because I did not want to be a Philippine citizen anymore. For any reason that I have to leave the US - I would not want to have to go back to the Philippines. I wanted Canada to be my “home country” aside from the US. If anything happens to my marriage with my husband I would have moved back to Canada. 

Timeline
48 minutes ago, da95826 said:

If you wanted to update USCIS with your change of citrzenship on the i751 in the near future yourself, the only way would be to write a letter to the USCIS office that is handling your case (The address on your most recent receipt notice, most likely your receipt notice with the extension) to advise them of your citizenship change. (include your A-number, copy of the new passport page and enclose a copy of your receipt notice).

Also typo on the date. I am not due to file for removal of conditions until May 2022

Timeline
11 minutes ago, KristineGB said:

Also typo on the date. I am not due to file for removal of conditions until May 2022

Then you willl let USCIS know when you file your i751 late May or early june. (file a day or two after your window opens). Good luck to you.

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Approved June 08, 2022

Approved June 08, 2022

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.