Sierra TC

AOS paperwork - last name change for petitioner

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hello,

I am the petitioner and will marry with my foreign fiance in a few days. I plan to take his last name but I know that it's a process to do so. My question is, we are going to send our Adjustment of status paperwork shortly after we marry and are already preparing the forms. I'm not sure if I should use my new last name, or if there will be any issues with that? The main form I can see this could impact is the I 864 Affidavit of Support, all of my supporting documents will be in my maiden name and again I know the name change is a process that takes time. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, RainyJupiter said:

I'm not sure if I should use my new last name

Yes, use your new married last name in the forms (I-864, I-485, etc.). The marriage certificate is sufficient proof to use the new last name.

8 minutes ago, RainyJupiter said:

and again I know the name change is a process that takes time.

If you are referring to a name change through court then such process is unnecessary. As mentioned above, just the marriage certificate is sufficient.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline
13 hours ago, HRQX said:

Yes, use your new married last name in the forms (I-864, I-485, etc.). The marriage certificate is sufficient proof to use the new last name.

If you are referring to a name change through court then such process is unnecessary. As mentioned above, just the marriage certificate is sufficient.

Sorry for not being clear about that, I meant a process as in it takes a few weeks to receive new SS card, and then later update through the DMV and elsewhere. I appreciate your response!! Thanks.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
5 hours ago, RainyJupiter said:

Sorry for not being clear about that, I meant a process as in it takes a few weeks to receive new SS card, and then later update through the DMV and elsewhere. I appreciate your response!! Thanks.

That's not needed. Your name changes as soon as you sign the marriage certificate, that's why you can use the new name on the AOS forms. 

What you mentioned is "updating your IDs" with your new name. But it's not necessary to start using your new name.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.