Wingsfan

HB2 visa for a family member

7 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Costa Rica
Timeline

Hello I tried searching to find was i was looking for but got mixed answers. so here is my question. My niece is here on a tourist visa, she would like to work and maybe take some ESL (English Second Language) classes at local community college. She is looking for work mainly in retail and such. What would be my best bet for her? Based on the research i seen two different fees for this. Anyways TIA.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Not aware of retail sponsoring H2B

If she wants to study speak to the College, particularly their International Admissions Officer who will be able to guide her in obtaining a F1 Student visa. 

Edited by Boiler

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
Just now, Boiler said:

Notaware of retail sponsoring H2B

If she wantsto study speak to the College, particularly theirInternational Admissions Officer who will be able to guide her in obtaining a F1 Student visa. 

hmm well what about the temporary working visa, is that in the HB2 category? As far as college, i don think she wants to do much but maybe she would for school. defiantly will look into that. 

all these visa types are just so confusing for me. Thanks for your reply. 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

She would need to find an Employer willing to sponsor her for a work visa. H2b's are limited, where I am seems the Ski Resorts use them for some of their seasonal employees.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline
1 minute ago, Boiler said:

She would need to find an Employer willing to sponsor her for a work visa. H2b's are limited, where I am seems the Ski Resorts use them for some of their seasonal employees.

ah gotcha, thank you. 

If she wants to do seasonal work for which there is a labor shortage in the US, then h2b is appropriate and she needs to find a sponsoring employer. Not sure if it’s too late to apply  for this year but there seem to be a lot of these people  working ski slopes/resorts in winter. I know someone who drives a truck every year on h2b but I’m guessing she does not have the appropriate license or experience for that. I can’t see retail needing to sponsor out of country workers.

If she wants to study she needs a student visa. By the way If she needs to study ESL it implies her English is limited and she may therefore be very limited in terms of which types of h2b jobs may be available to her.

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline

H2B applications are now closed.  They are processing those who previously had H2B's in 2020 with those same employers.  H2B visas are for mainly tourist industry and she will have to contact hotel chains, etc  SHe cannot overstay her tourist visa, as she will not qualify for a H2B because she will be deemed a risk of not returning when her work contract ends.  

You cannot attend school while on H2B

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.