brackpool13

Driver's License Renewal - New Jersey

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello all,

The time has come to soon file my I-751 (at the end of August), and I was just curious to see whether anybody had any personal experiences with renewing their license in NJ (using the I-751 notice)? Does the DMV generally understand now that this document is accepted in renewing a license?

Thanks,

James 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

Hi there!

My 2 years green card expire in October and I filed I751 at the beginning of July.

I had to go to renew my temporary driving licence to a permanent one at the beginning of July, in NJ and they didn’t ask anything since the green card is still valid for a few months. So they renewed it for 4 years without issue 

I didn’t do the real ID because the officer told me that the real ID would be valid only until the current visa expires (so it would have been until October). No worries for the normal one though. 

• 1 month later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just to update - I went to the DMV and they are renewing for 4 years as standard now! I didn't even need to present my I-797 as proof at Delanco DMV (although I'd still recommend taking it).

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 8/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, brackpool13 said:

Hello all,

The time has come to soon file my I-751 (at the end of August), and I was just curious to see whether anybody had any personal experiences with renewing their license in NJ (using the I-751 notice)? Does the DMV generally understand now that this document is accepted in renewing a license?

Thanks,

James 

We're in NJ, too, and I wondered the same thing. The NJ MVC website has, in its list of acceptable documents, a letter from DHS that shows your status beyond the license expiration date is legal. My husband's appointment to renew is this Friday. I'll post here again to let you know what happens.

On 8/3/2021 at 2:43 PM, brackpool13 said:

Hello all,

Thanks,

James 

Hi James,

I renewed my DL in NJ recently. Officer declined to initially accept I-751 original USCIS notice as proof for DL extension.

I had to meet with the officer's supervisor to have DMV accept I-751.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

I'm sorry! I forgot to come back here! My husband renewed his on Friday. The clerk wasn't sure if she could accept the extension, so she called her supervisor, who approved it. It really was not a problem. He was in and out quickly. This was at the Eatontown office.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.