T&S_MTL

In person SSN (split)

13 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

For those who applied for the SSN in person; do you get the number right away (I have a few jobs interviews coming and I'd like to be added on my wife health insurance ASAP) or do you have to wait for the card in the mail to get the actual number ? I intend to apply in person, since I did not check the option in the DS260 form.

Thank you !

34 minutes ago, T&S_MTL said:

do you get the number right away (I have a few jobs interviews coming and I'd like to be added on my wife health insurance ASAP)

During the in-person visit you could ask for a copy of the Numident record.

Also you currently need an appointment: https://www.ssa.gov/coronavirus/

I need help with my Social Security Number (SSN)

We are prioritizing requests for in-person SSN services for:

• Individuals age 12 or older applying for their first SSN card.
  • Individuals who need to update or correct their SSN information (such as your name, date of birth, or citizenship) to obtain income, resources, or medical care or coverage, or other services or benefits (for example filing a tax return, applying for housing, or seeking an Economic Impact Payment).

If you believe you qualify for an in-person appointment, call your local office. You can look up the phone number for your local office by accessing our office locator. Please note that appointments may not be immediately available, depending on local health and safety conditions and staffing.

Since they do a SAVE check it's recommended to go in on or after the 10th day: https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0300204020

NOTE: If the alien has been in the U.S. for less than 10 days, hold the claim until the claimant has been in the U.S. for 10 days and then query SAVE.

Edited by HRQX

51 minutes ago, Melody1920 said:

Yes I did!

If you don't receive SSN within 3 weeks of US entry call SSA https://www.ssa.gov/ssnvisa/questions.htm?tl=0

What if I don't receive my SSN card within 3 weeks of arrival?

Contact us. In the United States, you may call the telephone number listed for the Social Security office in the local telephone directory under "United States Government" or Social Security's toll-free number 1-800-772-1213.

Timeline
5 hours ago, T&S_MTL said:

For those who applied for the SSN in person; do you get the number right away (I have a few jobs interviews coming and I'd like to be added on my wife health insurance ASAP) or do you have to wait for the card in the mail to get the actual number ? I intend to apply in person, since I did not check the option in the DS260 form.

Thank you !

I asked for it and they weren't able to give it to me. It arrived pretty quickly though, just over a week. You'll have to call the SSA, they'll put you on a waiting list, and then make sure you do not miss a single call until you have your appointment (I missed their first call and that puts you back to the end of the waiting list). It took me 3 weeks to get an appointment but only because I was able to get bumped up the waiting list because they had a cancellation. Your wait time will vary depending on where you live.

I am not a lawyer and nothing I say is or should be taken as legal advice. 

CR1/IR1 Timeline:

Spoiler

Married: August 18th 2018

I-130 Sent: September 18th 2018

PD: September 20th 2018 TSC

NOA1 Received: October 5th 2018
Case Inquiry: July 13th 2019 

Case Inquiry Response: July 24th 2019 - in line for processing.

Escalated Case Inquiry: August 6th 2019 - tier 2 found that internal status was "in background check" despite results coming back 4 months prior.

Escalated Case Inquiry Response: August 7th 2019 - case was "delayed" because they had to "perform additional review" 🙄 case now with an officer.

NOA2: August 22nd 2019 (336 days)

Sent to DOS: September 5th 2019

NVC Received: September 13th 2019

Case Number: October 9th 2019

DS-260 Completed: October 28th 2019

NVC Docs Uploaded: October 29th 2019

DQ: December 18th 2019

Became IR1: August 18th 2020

IL: October 13th 2020

Interview: November 2nd 2020

Visa Received: November 5th 2020

POE: November 8th 2020

GC Received: January 23rd 2021

CR1/IR1 Montreal FAQ:https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/

Timeline
6 minutes ago, DGF said:

I asked for it and they weren't able to give it to me. It arrived pretty quickly though, just over a week. You'll have to call the SSA, they'll put you on a waiting list, and then make sure you do not miss a single call until you have your appointment (I missed their first call and that puts you back to the end of the waiting list). It took me 3 weeks to get an appointment but only because I was able to get bumped up the waiting list because they had a cancellation. Your wait time will vary depending on where you live.

Thank you so much 😊. I guess we will call even before crossing the border to validate the visa, the un-insured period is stressing me out a lot, my wife starts a US job soon but I guess she won't be able to add me on her plan as long I don't have any SSN

20 minutes ago, T&S_MTL said:

but I guess she won't be able to add me on her plan as long I don't have any SSN

If the insurance company initially denies for lack of SSN ask for supervisor/higher up. Here is what the US government states: https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-reporting-social-security-numbers-to-your-health-insurance-company

Q5: If I do not have a social security number (SSN) or other tax identifying number (TIN) for myself or other covered individuals, such as my spouse or dependents, should I contact the IRS to obtain a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) so that I can give it to my health coverage provider?

A5: No, it is not necessary for you to contact the IRS if you do not have an SSN or a TIN. You should advise your coverage provider that you do not have an SSN or TIN and give them the date of birth for each covered individual.

Timeline
4 minutes ago, HRQX said:

If the insurance company initially denies for lack of SSN ask for supervisor/higher up. Here is what the US government states: https://www.irs.gov/affordable-care-act/questions-and-answers-about-reporting-social-security-numbers-to-your-health-insurance-company

Q5: If I do not have a social security number (SSN) or other tax identifying number (TIN) for myself or other covered individuals, such as my spouse or dependents, should I contact the IRS to obtain a social security number or individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) so that I can give it to my health coverage provider?

A5: No, it is not necessary for you to contact the IRS if you do not have an SSN or a TIN. You should advise your coverage provider that you do not have an SSN or TIN and give them the date of birth for each covered individual.

Thank you @HRQX for this, I was not even aware of this

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, T&S_MTL said:

Thank you so much 😊. I guess we will call even before crossing the border to validate the visa, the un-insured period is stressing me out a lot, my wife starts a US job soon but I guess she won't be able to add me on her plan as long I don't have any SSN

If you’ve filed taxes together, you likely have an ITIN and can use that. That’s how we did my kids until I could (finally) get Kid1 and Kid2’s socials. 

@Melody1920 many of your questions are in the FAQ’s. 

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Timeline
3 hours ago, mam521 said:

If you’ve filed taxes together, you likely have an ITIN and can use that. That’s how we did my kids until I could (finally) get Kid1 and Kid2’s socials. 

@Melody1920 many of your questions are in the FAQ’s. 

No I don't have a TIN actually, my wife (USC) is working in Canada and we did her taxes married filed separately to avoid the tax hassle for now on my end. But I will definitely make sure to be added on her health insurance plan without SSN/TIN as mentioned above 😊

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~SSN related questions split off the IR1/CR1 DQ thread and moved to the SSN forum - as the question is unrelated to the thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.