sinapp

How to Evidence of my Home Assets, l-864 (merged topics)

34 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
13 hours ago, sinapp said:

Just to make sure, you say that, since I only paid the fees (Step 3), I have still one year time to reunite all the needed financial info/proofs before I will upload/send my l-864 (Step 6) ?... Travel.State_org.JPG.4f294bc4726e8f412b04e6a74149b734.JPG

You have a year between each official contact.  I meant what I said.  Please stop asking me to say what you want to hear.  I don't do that.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Listen Sir, I thank you for your various responses in here. Yes, I asked you the same question, but more in details (with an image from the government website) it was just because I wanted to make sure that I well understood, nothing else! but not because I do not want to hear you like you already told me once, or because I want to hear only what I want. I am very sorry, but I feel  that you have absolutely NO pedagogy, that you are some arrogant or lack of patience, thus I will certainly not bother you anymore; I will not want to use this forum anymore, and will certainly not recommend it to anybody else.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 8/8/2021 at 12:59 AM, sinapp said:

Listen Sir, I thank you for your various responses in here. Yes, I asked you the same question, but more in details (with an image from the government website) it was just because I wanted to make sure that I well understood, nothing else! but not because I do not want to hear you like you already told me once, or because I want to hear only what I want. I am very sorry, but I feel  that you have absolutely NO pedagogy, that you are some arrogant or lack of patience, thus I will certainly not bother you anymore; I will not want to use this forum anymore, and will certainly not recommend it to anybody else.

VJ members are sincerely trying to help you, to give you their best advice, and many have years of experience with similar cases.  Think of this from the immigration officer's perspective--it will be a judgment call based on the totality of the circumstances so you will need to convince him or her (and supervisors who will review the case prior to a decision on whether to grant the visa or not).  The officers have considerable discretion to assess the public charge risk and they want to see that the principal sponsor (you) can support yourself and the intending immigrant once you both move to the US.  You could try to move forward with licensed appraisals for the 3 properties you own in Colombia, and it may be sufficient at the interview, but based on what you said about it taking a long time to sell them, they could deny the visa even with licensed appraisals.  Hence, a stronger case would be to sell the three properties first so there would be no doubt that the cash is in the bank and ready to support you and your wife in the US for a few years, giving you time to start earning income that is US-based.  I agree with the advice that if you do not sell the properties but only show licensed appraisals and related documentation to prove equity, that a joint sponsor would also be needed.  If you are not in a rush, try the licensed appraisals first as proof of assets, if they ask for further documentation, such as cash after the sale of the properties, or a joint sponsor, they will tell you that after initially refusing the visa and give you time to submit it.  So you can try the approach you seem to prefer and if that doesn't work, you may have no choice but to sell the properties or get a joint sponsor if you want a spousal visa for your wife to immigrate to the US.  Good luck!

Edited by carmel34

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 8/8/2021 at 12:59 AM, sinapp said:

I actually have exactly the same situation that you have. If I were you, I will NEVER sell my property at abroad even if you are going to come back to US with your immigrant wife. Just because you are planning on coming back to US together with your wife that doesn’t mean you can not keep the property at abroad...Besides, you don’t know if you guys might end up going back to Columbia again for good in the future...and then you might need all those properties...Besides, those properties are giving you good renting income no matter what. Why would I sell that? No way...

For the purpose of I-864, just find a joint sponsor and you will be fine. Immigration laws allow you to have joint sponsor if you couldn’t have required income. Yes, some might say that each consulate is different...some would accept joint sponsor and some don’t...and some might also say that consular officers weigh the totality of circumstance of sponsors...All this might be true, but based on my 30 years experiences in this immigration mattes wherein I was a moderator to many sites...then very rarely and very few consular officers are toughy ones, otherwise 99% of times they do accept joint sponsor. If we go by every nitty gritty of laws then laws do give discretionary authority to consular officers on almost everything..but you don’t see consular officers having denying or rejecting cases left and right...or every case on every issue. A very few officers are hard ones, but 99% of them are understandable and work with you.

I have been there and done that before...and I am again in the same shoe now...If I were you then that’s how I would do on this. I will first find a licensed appraiser to appraise your all 3 apartments. However, if appraiser would cost lots of money then forget about it, rather you make an affidavit (notarized one) wherein you should explain very clearly everything like location of the properties, ownership and net value of it (in US dollars)...

You should also explain in that affidavit that how you assessed that net value of your properties such as the market value of the same property in that neighborhood by your own observation...and if there is no any morgage or lien or loan then you should write that too that there is nothing on it...and you should also write that you will not endure any kind of hardship if these properties are sold out because you are going to live in US and properties are in here in Columbia wherein you or your immediate family don’t live. And at last, do mention that these properties could easily be liquidated within 12 months. Your own statements on the affidavits would be suffice. Make 3 different set for each property. If you could get a licensed appraiser in a very low fee, then do it thru him, otherwise its not worth. Just you do it...by your own admission of facts.

In many countries there are not even any appraiser...let alone to be licensed ones...all they have is- realtor...and they are not even licensed...Same goes to India...You do your best by writing all these...Most probably it will be accepted if the net value of all those 3 apartments are not on borderline which is not as per your statement.

Also, have a joint sponsor ready to standby by...just in case if you were asked for...You can even choose to have I-864 fully prepared by Joint sponsor so that it could be handed over to the officer during the interview if officer would choose not to accept your assets for any reason, but honestly I don’t see any reason why your assets couldn’t be used...Govt. instructions very clearly states that its accepted..so what if property will not be appraised by a licensed appraiser? As I said that many countries don’t have appraisers and some places they come very costly. I try to focus in helping than picking a fight...argument...to put someone down...or downgrade others....I wish you the best. You will be ok, trust me.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.