sdsai

Filling up i485, i130 for adjustment of status

8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

me(Stem OPT- F1) and my fiancé  (US Citizen)got married in March and we’re filling up i485,i130,i864,i765,i130a,i131.

While filling up forms, she also change her last name on Social Security Card only as below.

ex. Her original name: A S P

changes name: A S J

j is my last name.

so as a petitioner, what name she should use on the forms?

should we use new name? New name is only update on SS .

mother documents such as DL, lease, insurances have old name.

Another question is for me (beneficiary), For employment history on form i485, I have done 2 on campus job during my grad school, do I have to mention that in Part3. Page 5? Also while on initial OPT, I had two unpaid work and then unpaid internship which got converted to paid full time job.

Any help is really appreciated, thank you!!

Edited by Ontarkie
edited to removed personal information

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there,

There’s a lot of information available online by conducting a search. I got through my application through research on VJ and the USCIS Policy Manual without creating a new thread to ask a question as all of these are already available online.

To answer your question about the name, you can do either. Personally for me, I used my new married name and all of the supporting evidence was in my maiden name. They can connect them. Have a read below:

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-1-part-e-chapter-5

For purposes of requesting immigration benefits, a married person may use a legal married name (spouse’s surname), a legal pre-marriage name, or any form of either (for example, hyphenated name, pre-married name or spouse’s surname). Requestors must submit legal documentation, such as that listed below, to show that the name used is the requestor’s legal name:[2]

• Civil marriage certificate;

• Divorce decree;

• Family registry;

• Country identity document;

• Foreign birth certificate;

• Certificate of naming; or

• Court Order

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Post edited to remove names. Please do not post any personal information. VJ can be read by anyone and some may not have the best intentions.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Marriage certificate is proof of name change and you will be sending a copy of that with your paperwork. If using married name since marriage, then use the married name on all your forms. That is the name that will be on your EAD/AP and green card.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

22 hours ago, sdsai said:

so as a petitioner, what name she should use on the forms?

It's ok to use the petitioner's married name on the forms, even if her IDs still show her maiden name.  Your marriage certificate is her legal name change document.  Make sure to list her maiden name under "Other Names Used".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
On 8/24/2021 at 2:42 AM, Mohi said:

Any update bro?? my one also similar case like your one I filled on 1st July 2021. Now waiting for Biometric appointment date, have you got Bio appointment date??

yes, I had my Biometric on September 28th, 2021 but now now I have received an RFE for long form birth certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.