CGs_Mother

Not so smooth crossing with car (split)

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I have been meaning to write this for a few days. We crossed in Saturday, but it was an adventure to do so, and I think I'm only recovering now. 

The crossing part was easy - we drove to Windsor/Detroit, was taken into secondary, had to leave the cat and our cell phones in the car, went into the little building, they scanned our passports (there were issues with that but they were technical because they had a new system that only one person knew how to run, so it was giving everyone problems, including the family in front of us who were also activating their family visas at the same time), they reviewed my list of goods, and my teenager and I (and the cat) were admitted.

However, my car was not.

There were debates back and forth on VJ about whether or not one can drive one's vehicle down and import the vehicle later instead of at the time of crossing. I know we should have probably called the border to ask first, but I was in such a state of flux about packing and selling my house, I figured we could just tell them we were importing the vehicle later and deal with it.

Wrong.

In order to admit a personal vehicle into the US, it must actually be importable. That's why you need that letter from your car's manufacturer. Which of course I didn't have. When I told the border guard I thought I could do it all later and just drive the car down to get down there, he said, "This is why you always call first. You can't just drive it down. It is your property and so you are importing it and because it's a vehicle, it is subject to certain taxes you would have to pay prior to entry, regardless of whether or not you're doing the paperwork today."

Since my car was an old beater (a 2012 car with over 243k on it) and didn't have an OEM Tire Pressure Monitor, it would not be road certifiable in Texas (where we were headed), and the customs officers determined that the car was "unimportable". So we were given a letter explaining the situation, which also stated that neither my teenager nor I were charged with any criminal offences, and that we were admitted to the US as permanent residents, and we were turned around and told to take the car back to Canada.

This is where it gets interesting.

We drove back across the Ambassador Bridge to Canada Customs. The Customs officer took a look at the letter, looked at our passports and said, "Really? They wouldn't let your car in but you can go? That's crazy. So what are you going to do?"

I said I guess I have to figure out how to get rid of the car and try to go back.

Then he asked, "Are you both fully vaccinated?"

Thank goodness my teen had their second shot exactly two weeks to the day before we decided to cross. I showed the Canada Customs officer our slips evidencing full vaccination from the Ontario Ministry of Health, and he sat there, looking at our documents. Then he handed them all back, except the letter about the car, and said, "Good luck with your car. You can go back. You don't need to quarantine."

If it had been any other time, or even a day before, we would have had to have waited another two weeks before we could cross.

When we got back over to Windsor, in a matter of 3 hours, I sold my car for scrap and rented a U-Haul. I transferred all of our stuff into the U-Haul, and went back to the same crossing at Detroit. When we crossed, we were met by the border guard who had driven us to the turnaround point with our car. 

"What did you do with the car?" he asked.

"Sold it for scrap."

He scanned our passports and asked, "Does the U Haul have any dirt in it?"

I told him that the woman at U-Haul had actually just mopped it out before she gave me the keys. He handed back our passports and said, "OK. Good luck today. Have a good drive."

And we were off on our two day drive to Houston, Texas. 

TLDR: no problems with our documents when we crossed, scanned everything, took pics, all good, waiting for our SSNs to start our lives.

Thanks, everyone! 

54 minutes ago, CGs_Mother said:

Hi Everyone,

I have been meaning to write this for a few days. We crossed in Saturday, but it was an adventure to do so, and I think I'm only recovering now. 

The crossing part was easy - we drove to Windsor/Detroit, was taken into secondary, had to leave the cat and our cell phones in the car, went into the little building, they scanned our passports (there were issues with that but they were technical because they had a new system that only one person knew how to run, so it was giving everyone problems, including the family in front of us who were also activating their family visas at the same time), they reviewed my list of goods, and my teenager and I (and the cat) were admitted.

However, my car was not.

There were debates back and forth on VJ about whether or not one can drive one's vehicle down and import the vehicle later instead of at the time of crossing. I know we should have probably called the border to ask first, but I was in such a state of flux about packing and selling my house, I figured we could just tell them we were importing the vehicle later and deal with it.

Wrong.

In order to admit a personal vehicle into the US, it must actually be importable. That's why you need that letter from your car's manufacturer. Which of course I didn't have. When I told the border guard I thought I could do it all later and just drive the car down to get down there, he said, "This is why you always call first. You can't just drive it down. It is your property and so you are importing it and because it's a vehicle, it is subject to certain taxes you would have to pay prior to entry, regardless of whether or not you're doing the paperwork today."

Since my car was an old beater (a 2012 car with over 243k on it) and didn't have an OEM Tire Pressure Monitor, it would not be road certifiable in Texas (where we were headed), and the customs officers determined that the car was "unimportable". So we were given a letter explaining the situation, which also stated that neither my teenager nor I were charged with any criminal offences, and that we were admitted to the US as permanent residents, and we were turned around and told to take the car back to Canada.

We drove back across the Ambassador Bridge to Canada Customs. The Customs officer took a look at the letter, looked at our passports and said, "Really? They wouldn't let your car in but you can go? That's crazy. So what are you going to do?"

I said I guess I have to figure out how to get rid of the car and try to go back.

Thank goodness my teen had their second shot exactly two weeks to the day before we decided to cross. I showed the Canada Customs officer our slips evidencing full vaccination from the Ontario Ministry of Health, and he sat there, looking at our documents. Then he handed them all back, except the letter about the car, and said, "Good luck with your car. You can go back. You don't need to quarantine."

If it had been any other time, or even a day before, we would have had to have waited another two weeks before we could cross.

When we got back over to Windsor, in a matter of 3 hours, I sold my car for scrap and rented a U-Haul. I transferred all of our stuff into the U-Haul, and went back to the same crossing at Detroit. When we crossed, we were met by the border guard who had driven us to the turnaround point with our car. 

"Sold it for scrap."

I told him that the woman at U-Haul had actually just mopped it out before she gave me the keys. He handed back our passports and said, "OK. Good luck today. Have a good drive."

TLDR: no problems with our documents when we crossed, scanned everything, took pics, all good, waiting for our SSNs to start our lives.

Thanks, everyone! 

-lurk in-

You did it!!!🤓🌻

Congratulations on your move. I am sure that was already stress inducing for you and having to return and sell your car and get a U-haul, must have been almost blood boiling stress. I’m thrilled for you that your family are finally altogether.

I just got back from Texas after our marriage and honeymoon. I spent five weeks there, was thinking of you while there, as I thought you had crossed over already☺️

All the very best to you and your family♥️

-lurk out-

• Ontarkie changed the title to Not so smooth crossing with car (split)
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~One post and reply split off to its own thread to not get lost in the Mega thread.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

That is very strange that they made you turn back. Over the years I've seen others do what you wanted to do. Drive down then scrap the car. I wonder if they said something different then saying they would impost it later.  

At least you're done now and don't have to deal with that again. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
10 hours ago, CGs_Mother said:

Hi Everyone,

However, my car was not.

Wrong.

"Sold it for scrap."

Thanks, everyone! 

Hey there, thank you for sharing your experience. It helps a lot. I am about to cross by land. I will import my car, I will have the letter form the manufacturer and the 2 forms for customs to import the car filled out. I hope that is enough. My car is not transformed yet into a US car I will do that while in the US , is that going to be a problem ? Also about paying tax, I read somewhere that they are not charging tax on cars if you own it ??? Where they telling you were gonna have to pay tax on your car? Your answers are much appreciated !

Timeline
21 hours ago, Ontarkie said:

That is very strange that they made you turn back. Over the years I've seen others do what you wanted to do. Drive down then scrap the car. I wonder if they said something different then saying they would impost it later.  

At least you're done now and don't have to deal with that again. 

I had read that too, but I think one of the factors was that the family in front had tried to do the same thing, i.e. drive the car down and import it later, so they were asking for the letter up front. The guard told me that selling the car for scrap is "still selling your vehicle for a value, which requires importation". Just the luck of the draw, I guess....

Timeline
16 hours ago, Flowergirl 737 said:

Hey there, thank you for sharing your experience. It helps a lot. I am about to cross by land. I will import my car, I will have the letter form the manufacturer and the 2 forms for customs to import the car filled out. I hope that is enough. My car is not transformed yet into a US car I will do that while in the US , is that going to be a problem ? Also about paying tax, I read somewhere that they are not charging tax on cars if you own it ??? Where they telling you were gonna have to pay tax on your car? Your answers are much appreciated !

I only know from my experience. They did say to the family in front of us that, since they still had a loan on the car, they would have to pay taxes on their vehicle to import it. I would definitely call USCBP and ask them.

Filed: R-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
1 hour ago, CGs_Mother said:

I only know from my experience. They did say to the family in front of us that, since they still had a loan on the car, they would have to pay taxes on their vehicle to import it. I would definitely call USCBP and ask them.

Thanks!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.