Magnolian

Montreal interview recap (split)

4 posts in this topic

Hello All,

I had my visa interview yesterday at the Montreal consulate, and just want to give my account

here before I forget the details.

I arrived at the consulate about 40 minutes before my interview. There were a few people standing

outside waiting. When one of the guards came out to let someone in, I talked to him and he told me

to come back 10 minutes before my interview. So, they wouldn't let you in early even if you come early.

Once I was inside, and went through the airport-like security at the ground floor and put my i-phone in

a locker as one of the guards instructed. I brought all my massive 3 folders full of documents, and 

a small purse with me, and I was allowed to bring all of it except my i-phone to the interview hall.

They sent me upstairs to join others sitting and waiting in a hall. At the first window, they took my passport, and

nothing else and I sat down and waited. I think this wait was at least for 40 minutes and the longest.

Then they called me with my number on the screen again. This time, they took the necessary documents, which

were as best as I can remember:

-Original birth certificate

-original marriage certtificate

-W-2s and 1040 for 2020

-i864

-Police certificate from Canada

-Police certificate from my home country

-my Canadian PR card

Then they sent me back to the waiting area to wait more. This time, I didn't need to wait long as I was called

again shortly afterwards for the interview.

I was interviewed by an older gentleman, who was polite, friendly even. He asked some questions related to

my marriage after taking an oath:

-Who is your petitioner

-Tell me how you met your husband and where and when you got married

-What does you husband to for living

-Where you will you be living in US?

-Have you ever arrested?

-What is the longest time you stayed in US?

-What do you do?

-Do you have children?

It felt more like a conversation, rather than an interview. One thing to note here is I brought a letter from my mother-in-law

stating we will be living with her in her place and we were welcome to stay as long as we like. She actually had the letter notarized

by a public notary in California and attached her driver's license to it. When he asked where will be living in the US, I pulled out the

letter and gave it to him and after he looked at it and said 'It is very complete and good. It really helps.'. I actually took someone's 

wise and informed advise here in this forum and asked my mother-in-law to write me a letter and have it notarized. I thank this forum for

it!

The interview was for about 5-7 minutes in length. In the end, he said that he was planning to approve my visa, explained the procedure etc.

and gave me the welcome letter. I thanked him and left.

I was inside for about 1 hr and 40 minutes.  It was generally a good experience. The security guards were polite. Inside, there were only 4

people were working, 2 taking documents and other 2 interviewing. I thought they were efficient.

I wanted to thank all the wonderful members in this forum. You all have been an enormous help during a challenging time. I would have been in the

total dark without any knowledge as to what is going in regards to the application/interview schedule without this forum, and would probably have

driven myself mad. So, thank you all!

38 minutes ago, Magnolian said:

Hello All,

I had my visa interview yesterday at the Montreal consulate, and just want to give my account

here before I forget the details.

I arrived at the consulate about 40 minutes before my interview. There were a few people standing

outside waiting. When one of the guards came out to let someone in, I talked to him and he told me

to come back 10 minutes before my interview. So, they wouldn't let you in early even if you come early.

Once I was inside, and went through the airport-like security at the ground floor and put my i-phone in

a locker as one of the guards instructed. I brought all my massive 3 folders full of documents, and 

a small purse with me, and I was allowed to bring all of it except my i-phone to the interview hall.

They sent me upstairs to join others sitting and waiting in a hall. At the first window, they took my passport, and

nothing else and I sat down and waited. I think this wait was at least for 40 minutes and the longest.

Then they called me with my number on the screen again. This time, they took the necessary documents, which

were as best as I can remember:

-Original birth certificate

-original marriage certtificate

-W-2s and 1040 for 2020

-i864

-Police certificate from Canada

-Police certificate from my home country

-my Canadian PR card

Then they sent me back to the waiting area to wait more. This time, I didn't need to wait long as I was called

again shortly afterwards for the interview.

I was interviewed by an older gentleman, who was polite, friendly even. He asked some questions related to

my marriage after taking an oath:

-Who is your petitioner

-Tell me how you met your husband and where and when you got married

-What does you husband to for living

-Where you will you be living in US?

-Have you ever arrested?

-What is the longest time you stayed in US?

-What do you do?

-Do you have children?

It felt more like a conversation, rather than an interview. One thing to note here is I brought a letter from my mother-in-law

stating we will be living with her in her place and we were welcome to stay as long as we like. She actually had the letter notarized

by a public notary in California and attached her driver's license to it. When he asked where will be living in the US, I pulled out the

letter and gave it to him and after he looked at it and said 'It is very complete and good. It really helps.'. I actually took someone's 

wise and informed advise here in this forum and asked my mother-in-law to write me a letter and have it notarized. I thank this forum for

it!

The interview was for about 5-7 minutes in length. In the end, he said that he was planning to approve my visa, explained the procedure etc.

and gave me the welcome letter. I thanked him and left.

I was inside for about 1 hr and 40 minutes.  It was generally a good experience. The security guards were polite. Inside, there were only 4

people were working, 2 taking documents and other 2 interviewing. I thought they were efficient.

I wanted to thank all the wonderful members in this forum. You all have been an enormous help during a challenging time. I would have been in the

total dark without any knowledge as to what is going in regards to the application/interview schedule without this forum, and would probably have

driven myself mad. So, thank you all!

Thank you for sharing. I'm just curious if you had to come back to pick up anything from them after the whole interview process is done? I booked my flight back to BC on the night of the interview but not sure if that was a good plan.

Edited by Fobosdaemios

1 minute ago, Fobosdaemios said:

Thank you for sharing. I'm just curious if you had to come back to pick up anything from them after the whole interview process is done? I booked my flight back to BC on the night of the interview but not sure if that was a good plan.

Hi I did the same, and it worked out. I had my interview yesterday morning and left the consulate around 12 noon,

and walked to my hotel, picked up my bag and went directly to the airport. My flight back home was at 3:15 pm

and I was at the airport way early.

To answer to your question, no, you don't need to come back to the consulate at least to my experience.

Good luck with your interview!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Interview experience split off to it's own topic. It helps members when all information/experience is kept nicely together.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.