Vasia

How change dv-immigrant visa interview after Submit DS260?

54 posts in this topic

Hello everyone i m new at this website. I would be happy if someone share information or experience with me about changing dv- immigrant visa interview place from one country to another.  I m the winner of dv 2022 green card lottery and my case number is low around XXXX2000  currently i live in Canada with my visitor status but when i applied green card lottery on november i was student in Canada and my status was study permit. When the results are announced interview place mentioned automatically Montreal US embassy. I completed my DS260 without any interview place changes and i submitted my ds form 16 May . 1 week ago i wrote email to Montreal embassy and asked can i attend immigrant visa interview with my visitor status and they replied you are not eligible come immigrant visa interview with visitor status in Canada. 
what should i do this situation? Where should i write email to change interview place ? Can this cause delay ? ( my interview has not been set yet) thank you in advance.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

wrong question to Montreal

u can not interview on tourist visa

but you are there to study/  are u a permanent resident on a student visa for canada?

It will be months before you can interview, the earliest is October. Montreal is apparently not doing any DV interviews at the moment anyway as it deals with a massive backlog of immigrant visas. Suggest you return home & update address in ds260 to your home address if you want an interview.  Have you submitted civil documents to kcc yet?

1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

It will be months before you can interview, the earliest is October. Montreal is apparently not doing any DV interviews at the moment anyway as it deals with a massive backlog of immigrant visas. Suggest you return home & update address in ds260 to your home address if you want an interview.  Have you submitted civil documents to kcc yet?

Hello. no KCC has yet asked me to send any documents. I would like to know that when the DS 260 forum unlock , If i  change my current address does  the green card  visa interview place change automatically?  or do I have to apply for it separately? And i asked KCC unlock DS260 it is almost 2 month they still does not unlock.

40 minutes ago, Vasia said:

Hello. no KCC has yet asked me to send any documents. I would like to know that when the DS 260 forum unlock , If i  change my current address does  the green card  visa interview place change automatically?  or do I have to apply for it separately? And i asked KCC unlock DS260 it is almost 2 month they still does not unlock.

Yes, the interview is set to the embassy that serves what is listed as the “current address” on the DS260. They are snowed under dealing with DV21 at present so I guess you’ll need to wait a bit longer  for them to unlock. You can decide if you want to wait for them to ask you to send the docs or to just go ahead and send them (but I’d wait till address was updated for that if I were you), you will not be scheduled for an interview unless they have processed the docs.

2 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Yes, the interview is set to the embassy that serves what is listed as the “current address” on the DS260. They are snowed under dealing with DV21 at present so I guess you’ll need to wait a bit longer  for them to unlock. You can decide if you want to wait for them to ask you to send the docs or to just go ahead and send them (but I’d wait till address was updated for that if I were you), you will not be scheduled for an interview unless they have processed the docs.

Thank you for detailed information i really appreciate it.I hope KCC will unlock  my DS form soon and i would be able to change interview location.Good luck to everyone.

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

Did you request KCC just to unlock your DS260 or ask for change of embassy? Sometimes they may not unlock it. If you ask them for the change of consulate for the mentioned reasons and provide evidences, they will assign the embassy in your home country.

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

1 hour ago, arken said:

Did you request KCC just to unlock your DS260 or ask for change of embassy? Sometimes they may not unlock it. If you ask them for the change of consulate for the mentioned reasons and provide evidences, they will assign the embassy in your home country.

Kcc always unlocks if requested. They are just under a massive backlog at the moment and not prioritizing dv22 applicants yet. 

6 hours ago, arken said:

Hello. I request KCC unlock DS260 for  add my USA address where i lived before i forgot write some previous address but still KCC did not unlock

however i did not ask KCC unlock my DS260 because change embassy from one country to another . 

14 minutes ago, Vasia said:

Hello. I request KCC unlock DS260 for  add my USA address where i lived before i forgot write some previous address but still KCC did not unlock

however i did not ask KCC unlock my DS260 because change embassy from one country to another . 

You can’t edit the field where the “chosen” embassy is anyway. The embassy is assigned to the one associated with “current address” (at the time the interview is scheduled), so that is what needs to be changed if you want to change the embassy by using the Ds260. You can also confirm that with an email to KCC.

On 7/18/2021 at 2:04 PM, SusieQQQ said:

You can’t edit the field where the “chosen” embassy is anyway. The embassy is assigned to the one associated with “current address” (at the time the interview is scheduled), so that is what needs to be changed if you want to change the embassy by using the Ds260. You can also confirm that with an email to KCC.

Thank you for detailed information. 
I would like to know also  ,  after change current address to my  home country address  is it ok i keep living in Canada    until  interview date in my country ? Can cause any problems at the interview ?

On 7/19/2021 at 5:33 PM, SusieQQQ said:

As long as you have an appropriate police certificate for Canada it should be ok.

Hello.  I have 2 more question I would be glad if you answer

From which department  should I get a police certificate within Canada?

Toronto police service or Royal Canadian  mounted police ? ( currently i m living in Toronto)

and second question is. İ have stayed in US around 6 month ( exactly 174 days) with my B1/B2 visa. When I entered the United States, the officer marked the last date  of stay after 6 month.

if i will be asked to interview staying long time  in US  can cause any denied of visa?

Thank you

Just now, Vasia said:

Hello.  I have 2 more question I would be glad if you answer

From which department  should I get a police certificate within Canada?

Toronto police service or Royal Canadian  mounted police ? ( currently i m living in Toronto)

and second question is. İ have stayed in US around 6 month ( exactly 174 days) with my B1/B2 visa. When I entered the United States, the officer marked the last date  of stay after 6 month.

if i will be asked to interview staying long time  in US  can cause any denied of visa?

Thank you

Are you asking about a past stay? If you did not overstay (in fact even if you did but not more than 180 days which incurs a ban) it is not a problem as long as you are interviewing at a consulate outside the US. 

For the police certificate etc please refer to the pages linked to in the instructions for dv selectees for what is required per country - choose the country and scroll down to the relevant section https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/Visa-Reciprocity-and-Civil-Documents-by-Country.html/

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.