20 posts in this topic

Hello 

My co-sponsor ( my mother in law) says she is 10x over the poverty guidelines, therefore do we need to include my father in-law or can we just use her as our joint / co sponsor? Also do they require a copy of her birth certificate as proof of her citizenship?

Thank you 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

You don't need your FIL as your MIL has more than enough. 

Yes. She will need proof of citizenship submitted alongside her I-864

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

14 minutes ago, Jill Mackie said:

Hello 

My co-sponsor ( my mother in law) says she is 10x over the poverty guidelines, therefore do we need to include my father in-law or can we just use her as our joint / co sponsor? Also do they require a copy of her birth certificate as proof of her citizenship?

Thank you 

Just yesterday you wrote that her income is $36,500.   Now it’s >$100k?

18 minutes ago, NikkiR123 said:

so?   she must have assumed that, not a crime 

I never said it was a crime.  It is just kind of a strange error to make, especially because the answer to her question may change based on which it actually is.....

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

I never said it was a crime.  It is just kind of a strange error to make, especially because the answer to her question may change based on which it actually is.....

I said:

"if" my joint sponsor (my mother in-law) on her own makes $36,500 .

I didn't say it was exactly what she makes .

2 hours ago, Timona said:

You don't need your FIL as your MIL has more than enough. 

Yes. She will need proof of citizenship submitted alongside her I-864

Thank you 😊

Filed: Timeline
2 hours ago, Jill Mackie said:

I said:

"if" my joint sponsor (my mother in-law) on her own makes $36,500 .

I didn't say it was exactly what she makes .

Thank you 😊

Thats exactly why @Jorgedig was suggesting it's a strange error to make. 10x guidelines is roughly $200,000. That's drastically different than $35,000. Of course some people have occupations that are surprisingly well paid or live modestly below their means.  Hopefully the discrepancy was because of this or an error in converting currencies.

1 minute ago, Villanelle said:

Thats exactly why @Jorgedig was suggesting it's a strange error to make. 10x guidelines is roughly $200,000. That's drastically different than $35,000. Of course some people have occupations that are surprisingly well paid or live modestly below their means.  Hopefully the discrepancy was because of this or an error in converting currencies.

Not really that strange to me ,It was a a hypothetical number I used whilst explain to my mother in law.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline
11 hours ago, Jill Mackie said:

Hello 

Thank you 

Answered this on your other post about it, but here it is again>

There is no requirement for the father-in-law to provide an I-864A. If the mother-in-law meets the requirement then she can be your joint sponsor on her own. She will provide her taxes, which are most likely joint, so be sure she includes her own W-2 and perhaps pay stubs to show her exact income separate from her husband's. She needs to make sure they can clearly see her income alone is enough.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Just now, KayDeeCee said:

Answered this on your other post about it, but here it is again>

There is no requirement for the father-in-law to provide an I-864A. If the mother-in-law meets the requirement then she can be your joint sponsor on her own. She will provide her taxes, which are most likely joint, so be sure she includes her own W-2 and perhaps pay stubs to show her exact income separate from her husband's. She needs to make sure they can clearly see her income alone is enough.

Thank you so much , I appreciate it

Timeline
3 minutes ago, Jill Mackie said:

Thank you so much , I appreciate it

You're welcome, and proof of citizenship doesn't have to be birth certificate, but can be >

For U.S. citizens or U.S. nationals, a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or certificate of naturalization or citizenship.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Just now, KayDeeCee said:

You're welcome, and proof of citizenship doesn't have to be birth certificate, but can be >

For U.S. citizens or U.S. nationals, a copy of your birth certificate, passport, or certificate of naturalization or citizenship.

Ok thank you , we will submit her birth certificate as she has an expired passport only. Also just off the subject slightly do I have to submit an original copy of my marriage certificate not a photocopy?

Timeline
1 minute ago, Jill Mackie said:

Ok thank you , we will submit her birth certificate as she has an expired passport only. Also just off the subject slightly do I have to submit an original copy of my marriage certificate not a photocopy?

Just a copy of your marriage certificate.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.