wealtz

CSPA - is it an (online) system Issue?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello, visa-journey-experts! I've been combing through the threads about this, but didn't quite find the very similar situation... 

Scenario:

Family-based petition: US citizen petitioned her brother and his family (spouse and son)

Son birth year: 1994, unmarried 

Priority date: Nov 2002 

NVC (Visa Case Creation) Letter: Mar 2021

Everything now is online. The Principal, wife and son were all in the system at the time we paid for AOS and IV (for all 3). Shortly after, I noticed that the Son's line item was removed from the system. Neither one of us (petitioner and applicants) had removed it (that option is on the website). Naturally, we re-added him and got a rejection immediately after that saying he doesn't qualify under CSPA. Called the customer service line, but that yielded to unfruitful discussion, as their answer says "he doesn't qualify for CSPA". 

Given all the information, here are the questions:

1. Is the "Approval Date" the same as NVC Letter Date? 
  2. The son still is covered by CSPA, isn't he?
  3. If so, how do we best rectify the son's application? 
  4. Had anyone experienced the same? did you find out why the applicant was removed?

Any advice would be appreciated. If I missed other info, just let me know. 

Edited by wealtz

The approval date is that on the i797 approval notice - this is what is sent to you by USCIS before the case is sent to NVC.  This was likely to have been received by the petitioner years ago. Can you check that date?

Edited by SusieQQQ

1 minute ago, wealtz said:

++Info:

Approval Date: August 2005 

Then the son has aged out. He gets around 3 years of protection under CSPA (2005-2002) and is around 27 now, so his CSPA age is around 24. It’s a clear age out so exact dates don’t matter - he needs to be under 21 in CSPA terms when a visa is available (= when the priority date is current).

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Then the son has aged out. He gets around 3 years of protection under CSPA (2005-2002) and is around 27 now, so his CSPA age is around 24. It’s a clear age out so exact dates don’t matter - he needs to be under 21 in CSPA terms when a visa is available (= when the priority date is current).

Thanks @SusieQQQ. 

Would you know/advise:   What's the best alternative in this case? Have the principal applicant and spouse get visa (assuming approved, then) enter the US and file for him? Also, since the son's IV was paid, how do we get a refund for his application?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Assuming he is single and remain so a LPR can file for an unmarried so.

If he marries than you will have needed to have Naturalised first to keep this petition but can file again.

Not aware of refunds been given.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Nepal
Timeline

IV fees are non refundable. It's up to the applicant to determine eligibility before starting NVC process.

Timeframe for son after the parents immigrate and petition him

11-12 years to immigrate if remain unmarried

26-28 years if marries

Spouse:

2015-06-16: I-130 Sent

2015-08-17: I-130 approved

2015-09-23: NVC received file

2015-10-05: NVC assigned Case number, Invoice ID & Beneficiary ID

2016-06-30: DS-261 completed, AOS Fee Paid, WL received

2016-07-05: Received IV invoice, IV Fee Paid

2016-07-06: DS-260 Submitted

2016-07-07: AOS and IV Package mailed

2016-07-08: NVC Scan

2016-08-08: Case Complete

2017-06-30: Interview, approved

2017-07-04: Visa in hand

2017-08-01: Entry to US

Myself:

2016-05-10: N-400 Sent

2016-05-16: N-400 NOA1

2016-05-26: Biometrics

2017-01-30: Interview

2017-03-02: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.