Redneck-NOVA

Green card petition for parents

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Hello, 

I'm a naturalized US citizen and I'm thinking of filing for GC for my parents who are Russian citizens residing in Russia. I have a few questions: 

• Is there a guide that outlines key steps in the process and required documents at a high level (I reviewed the information on USCIS website and it's rather confusing, sends you between multiple pages, etc.)? 
  • What are the current fees for this? 
  • What is the current approximate processing time for this, from filing for I-130 through receipt of the visa? 
  • Is it possible to do the embassy portion of the process in a third country (Russian embassy currently doesn't process any visas and there is no reopening date in the near future)? 
  • What are the physical presence requirements to maintain the GC?  

Thanks! 

================================================================================

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

================================================================================

K-1 Process

Fall 2005 I-129F Filed at VSC

Winter 2005 I-129F Recieved

02/06 Interview in Moscow Embassy - Approved!

03/06 K-1 visa recieved

03/06 POE NYC, EA stamped

04/06 Found a job (professional and relevant to education)!

04/06 Wedding!

AOS Process

04/06 Filed for I-485, EAD, AP at VSC

05/06 Biometrics taken

05/06 Letters to Congressmen and Senators to expedite EAD

06/06 EAD recieved

07/06 AP recieved (and never used)

10/06 AOS Interview - Approved, Passport stamped with I-551

11/06 2 year GC recieved!

ROC Process

07/08 I-751 Filed with VSC

08/06/08 NOA date

02/25/09 Transferred to CSC

02/26/09 Touched

02/27/09 Touched

03/01/09 Touched

03/17/09 Approved

03/20/09 Approval notice recieved

04/02/09 10 year GC recieved!

N-400 Process

07/28/09 N-400 Sent

07/29/09 N-400 Recieved in TX Lockbox

08/03/09 Check cashed

08/03/09 NOA Recieved, NOA date 07/29/09

08/21/09 Biometrics appointment - completed

10/15/09 Interview - Recommended for approval!

11/16/09 Oath Letter finally received (after numerous calls to our Senators)

12/10/09 Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN - Done with USCIS!!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks for linking the I-130 guide. 

Does anyone have inputs on my other questions? Thanks in advance! 

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

K-1 Process

Fall 2005 I-129F Filed at VSC

Winter 2005 I-129F Recieved

02/06 Interview in Moscow Embassy - Approved!

03/06 K-1 visa recieved

03/06 POE NYC, EA stamped

04/06 Found a job (professional and relevant to education)!

04/06 Wedding!

AOS Process

04/06 Filed for I-485, EAD, AP at VSC

05/06 Biometrics taken

05/06 Letters to Congressmen and Senators to expedite EAD

06/06 EAD recieved

07/06 AP recieved (and never used)

10/06 AOS Interview - Approved, Passport stamped with I-551

11/06 2 year GC recieved!

ROC Process

07/08 I-751 Filed with VSC

08/06/08 NOA date

02/25/09 Transferred to CSC

02/26/09 Touched

02/27/09 Touched

03/01/09 Touched

03/17/09 Approved

03/20/09 Approval notice recieved

04/02/09 10 year GC recieved!

N-400 Process

07/28/09 N-400 Sent

07/29/09 N-400 Recieved in TX Lockbox

08/03/09 Check cashed

08/03/09 NOA Recieved, NOA date 07/29/09

08/21/09 Biometrics appointment - completed

10/15/09 Interview - Recommended for approval!

11/16/09 Oath Letter finally received (after numerous calls to our Senators)

12/10/09 Oath Ceremony - US CITIZEN - Done with USCIS!!!

Hi. I have been looking for the answers a while but none has concrete answers for them. I filed I-130 for my mother last December and after hitting seventh month no updates so far. I believe there are three stages for the petition - USCIS-->NVC-->Embassy. The first petition will cost you around $490, after USCIS process and send it out to NVC (national visa center) you'll be required to pay a few more fees including green card. From my own calculation it might be aggregate $2500-3000. The process time varies on state residence -- for me, residing in California, my documents are in Nebraska and it is supposed to take averagely 9 months, but if you are somewhere on the East coast - due to higher application it may take longer. 

On 6/25/2021 at 12:16 AM, ali.cha said:

The first petition will cost you around $490, after USCIS process and send it out to NVC (national visa center) you'll be required to pay a few more fees including green card.

The I-130 filing fee is $535, not $490.  Please check the official USCIS site for accurate info -- https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Also, you will need to pay the immigrant fee for green card printing only AFTER receiving the visa, not at NVC stage.

On 6/25/2021 at 12:16 AM, ali.cha said:

The process time varies on state residence -- for me, residing in California, my documents are in Nebraska and it is supposed to take averagely 9 months, but if you are somewhere on the East coast - due to higher application it may take longer. 

Also not accurate.  Petition and visa processing times are NOT dependent on state residence.  Assignment of petition processing center is effectively random and the petition may be transferred anytime.

2 hours ago, Chancy said:

Thanks for noting my errors. I submitted the application relatively long enough, so $490 was approximate figure. Possibly they assign cases randomly to balance workflow among 5 offices, yet it would be closer to the state residence.

2 hours ago, Chancy said:

The I-130 filing fee is $535, not $490.  Please check the official USCIS site for accurate info -- https://www.uscis.gov/i-130

Also, you will need to pay the immigrant fee for green card printing only AFTER receiving the visa, not at NVC stage.

Also not accurate.  Petition and visa processing times are NOT dependent on state residence.  Assignment of petition processing center is effectively random and the petition may be transferred anytime.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
On 6/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, Redneck-NOVA said:

Consider carefully the cost of health insurance if your parents are notified working age … and if they cannot achieve 40 Social security quarters earnings before turning 65 .. 

Timeline
On 6/21/2021 at 12:04 PM, Redneck-NOVA said:

After the I 130 is approved , the NVCguide is invaluable. 
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/immigrate/the-immigrant-visa-process/step-1-submit-a-petition/step-2-begin-nvc-processing.html

Timeline
On 6/18/2021 at 1:30 PM, Redneck-NOVA said:

Hello, 

I'm a naturalized US citizen and I'm thinking of filing for GC for my parents who are Russian citizens residing in Russia. I have a few questions: 

• Is there a guide that outlines key steps in the process and required documents at a high level (I reviewed the information on USCIS website and it's rather confusing, sends you between multiple pages, etc.)? 
  • What are the current fees for this? 
  • What is the current approximate processing time for this, from filing for I-130 through receipt of the visa? 
  • Is it possible to do the embassy portion of the process in a third country (Russian embassy currently doesn't process any visas and there is no reopening date in the near future)? 
  • What are the physical presence requirements to maintain the GC?  

Thanks! 

2. 12-18 months assuming the embassy is interviewing .. getting longer as the closures stretch out and the pile of applications waiting for an interview grows 
3.  Only if they have legal residency in that country 

4. Google the USCIS website for this .. easily answered in detail there 

23 hours ago, ali.cha said:

Possibly they assign cases randomly to balance workflow among 5 offices, yet it would be closer to the state residence.

This is not at all the case.  Service center processing of petitions is not related to the petitioner's residence.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.