1 post in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

My husband came here on his k1 visa last July. I left my job a couple months ago to become self employed, so we now have marketplace insurance. We were able to get the coverage just fine, but now they're stating that to keep the coverage, we need to provide a document with 'either the admitted date or allowable duration of stay'. I already gave them his I94 and visa with the date he was admitted on it. I submitted two different letters explaining that there literally is no document saying the duration of his stay, because he is here indefinitely. They continue to state that his documents are insufficient and seem to be ignoring my explanation. They don't give any context other than the message above, and continue to demand a document that does not exist.

There is no reason this should be happening because Adjustment for LPR is listed as an approved status on the marketplace website. We've given them EVERY document we have (I797, I94, marriage license, visa/passport), which are all on their approved list. The last thing we got from USCIS is the I797 stating that his I485 is pending, but haven't heard ANYTHING since that came on November 6, 2020. He doesn't have his EAD yet, that's also still pending since Nov. So we have nothing else to give them. I have spoken to 4 supervisors who understood and said that our documents should be fine. I have submitted multiple letters clearly explaining the situation. I have submitted an appeal which I'm waiting on. I've tried to schedule a call with a case worker (they have to call me though, I can't call them, and they kept trying when I wasn't available). I have done absolutely everything I can think of.  

Has anyone else faced this? I don't think my spouse should have to settle for some crappy short term/catastrophic insurance that doesn't cover anything, which we will have to do if he loses coverage. To me that shouldn't happen, especially when the marketplace's own website says that folks waiting on their green card are eligible! If that's really true, then they should understand that not all immigrants are given a document in the interim until they get their green card.

This has been so frustrating... any input is appreciated.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.