Lights

IR5 Interview - Documents Needed (kept passport)

19 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All, 

We missed an original copy of a document that we needed for our IR5 interview - it was my Birth Certificate (face palm, for real!!).  I know, it's been a long process and such a simple overstep.  I thought this entire time they had the originals.  When we did our checklist, I asked if they had my BC, they said yes... not specifying original or copy.  This morning, I get a text saying "all is good - we had a great interview and the officer was very pleasant.  They said a lot of people get so nervous since it's quite a lifestyle change, they usually forget a doc or two." handed them a "refusal" notice with one single X that said "Original Copy Needed" and kept their passports. 

We are sending it this week back to them.  My question is (I haven't seen the documentation yet since my parents are en-route to travel back to their city) -- since they kept their passports and only requiring the 1 documentation, that they are not actually "refused" but more like conditionally approved upon seeing the original doc.  I think what's catching me off guard is that they said they got a "refusal visa documentation with X for original copy" but I haven't seen it yet so I'm unsure. 

We were sooo consumed with being covid safe and getting all the things needed to travel across the country that I cannot believe after all this wait, we missed something so simple... 

Otherwise, my parents said the interview experience was nice and pleasant and the officer was very kind to them. 

Thanks in Advance 

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
22 minutes ago, Lights said:

Hi All, 

We missed an original copy of a document that we needed for our IR5 interview - it was my Birth Certificate (face palm, for real!!).  I know, it's been a long process and such a simple overstep.  I thought this entire time they had the originals.  When we did our checklist, I asked if they had my BC, they said yes... not specifying original or copy.  This morning, I get a text saying "all is good - we had a great interview and the officer was very pleasant.  They said a lot of people get so nervous since it's quite a lifestyle change, they usually forget a doc or two." handed them a "refusal" notice with one single X that said "Original Copy Needed" and kept their passports. 

We are sending it this week back to them.  My question is (I haven't seen the documentation yet since my parents are en-route to travel back to their city) -- since they kept their passports and only requiring the 1 documentation, that they are not actually "refused" but more like conditionally approved upon seeing the original doc.  I think what's catching me off guard is that they said they got a "refusal visa documentation with X for original copy" but I haven't seen it yet so I'm unsure. 

We were sooo consumed with being covid safe and getting all the things needed to travel across the country that I cannot believe after all this wait, we missed something so simple... 

Otherwise, my parents said the interview experience was nice and pleasant and the officer was very kind to them. 

Thanks in Advance 

Refused is the usual status after an unsuccessful result due to any reason .. once the Consulate has the original in hand , it will move to AP then approved and Issued. 

This is what is known as a 221g refusal, it is a refusal that can be overcome, in your case by submitting the required documents.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you -- I was so worried about the word "refusal" and needed to make sure we're not starting from square one again... 

Thank you - sending this right away and hopefully... this will be the end of our journey for now :).  They need a few months to finalize everything (it's been 50+ years there)... so although I know "we have time" I just wanted that confirmation and hopefully having them here by Christmas. 

AOS

July 05 - AOS package sent

July 14 - NOA 1

July 25 - Biometrics Appointment Letter

July 28 - Walk in Biometrics successful

Aug 27 - Request for Expedite on EAD (Job Offer)

Sept 12 - EAD approved and in production

Sept 12 - AP is approved but USCIS status is in 'Post Decision Activity'

Sept 18 - EAD marked as mailed

April 09 - Interview - Delayed due to sealed package from civil surgeon not at local office

May 07 - GC in production

May 18 - GC in hand!!!

Feb 9 - ROC 

Feb 14 - Check Cashed

Feb 16 - NOA 1

Feb 25 - Received Biometrics Appointment

April 10 - N400 Application

April 29 - Biometrics

January 29 - Combo Interview / Recommendation for Approval 

February 20 - Oath Ceremony - NATURALIZED 

My parents were also refused the visas at the interview, but it was because of an issue with their medical exams. After the medical exams came back clear, they sent in their passports. Today after three weeks of waiting, their case status changed from Refused to Administrative Processing. I am not sure how long your parents will have to wait for the approval after the consulate receives the original birth certificate, but I think the process will be the same. 

20 hours ago, Lil bear said:

Refused is the usual status after an unsuccessful result due to any reason .. once the Consulate has the original in hand , it will move to AP then approved and Issued. 

Hi Lil bear,

Do you know how long it often takes for the status to be changed from AP to approved? I am hoping it will not be another few weeks. We are approaching 2 years since I filed the I-130. It has been a long journey. Thank you very much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline
13 minutes ago, HanhChi said:

My parents were also refused the visas at the interview, but it was because of an issue with their medical exams. After the medical exams came back clear, they sent in their passports. Today after three weeks of waiting, their case status changed from Refused to Administrative Processing. I am not sure how long your parents will have to wait for the approval after the consulate receives the original birth certificate, but I think the process will be the same. 

Hi Lil bear,

Do you know how long it often takes for the status to be changed from AP to approved? I am hoping it will not be another few weeks. We are approaching 2 years since I filed the I-130. It has been a long journey. Thank you very much!

There is no way of knowing when it will be finalised.   But when it’s for a simple clear reason such as yours , it is likely to be sooner rather than later. 

4 hours ago, Milasa said:

@HanhChi I hope you don’t mind me asking, but your parents’ visa was originally refused because medical results didn’t get in on time or it was something about the results itself?

Asking because my mom is waiting for interview. It’s been such a long wait.

Hi Milasa,

My parents got the 221(g) refusal because their medical exams were still pending at the time of the interview.  What happened was that at the medical exam 2 weeks earlier, the doctor suspected my parents had TB based on the x-rays. So they went on to have the dreadful sputum test, which took almost 9 weeks to complete. Luckily the results came back negative for both of my parents, otherwise they would have had to go under treatment for 6 months. So, they followed the instructions in the 221(g) to send in their passports once their medical exams were cleared. Now we are waiting for the issuance of the visas as the status of their case have changed from “refused” to “administrative processing.” I have no idea how long the “administrative processing” for cases like my parents will take. I know! It has taken so long, almost 2 years for us now and at some point I thought we were so close, but then now it feels like forever. Has your mom been scheduled for an interview yet?

4 hours ago, HanhChi said:

Hi Milasa,

My parents got the 221(g) refusal because their medical exams were still pending at the time of the interview.  What happened was that at the medical exam 2 weeks earlier, the doctor suspected my parents had TB based on the x-rays. So they went on to have the dreadful sputum test, which took almost 9 weeks to complete. Luckily the results came back negative for both of my parents, otherwise they would have had to go under treatment for 6 months. So, they followed the instructions in the 221(g) to send in their passports once their medical exams were cleared. Now we are waiting for the issuance of the visas as the status of their case have changed from “refused” to “administrative processing.” I have no idea how long the “administrative processing” for cases like my parents will take. I know! It has taken so long, almost 2 years for us now and at some point I thought we were so close, but then now it feels like forever. Has your mom been scheduled for an interview yet?

I remember my cousin got suspected for TB as well in Ankara… they approved her husband’s though! But they had to wait 3-4 months to get clearance… this story belongs to 2016!!

11 hours ago, HanhChi said:

Hi Milasa,

Thank you for your reply. I hope your parents will get their visa soon.

10 hours ago, Agolbaghi said:

I remember my cousin got suspected for TB as well in Ankara… they approved her husband’s though! But they had to wait 3-4 months to get clearance… this story belongs to 2016!!

It is my biggest worry that this administrative processing will take months. But when you apply for a US visa, waiting is part of the game anyway. I just hope no others hurdles will come up.

Edited by HanhChi

3 hours ago, HanhChi said:

It is my biggest worry that this administrative processing will take months. But when you apply for a US visa, waiting is part of the game anyway. I just hope no others hurdles will come up.

Think of positive things you guys achieved so far! I am still waiting for DQ!!! I guess the same 2 yr journey is ahead of me and I am only on month 7!!! I guess embassy doctor is obligated to suspect TB for older people coming from Middle East and South Asia with little to no suspect on X Ray just to be on safe side!!it is what it is … it is good to be safe though! Hopefully we hear better news from you soon! Good luck!!

On 6/26/2021 at 3:25 AM, SandyD said:

I was wondering during your interview did they ever ask for the original copy of the petitioner's marriage certificate? 

No, they didn’t. To be on the safe side, I’d check the website of the US embassy/consulate where your parents are scheduled to have interview to know exactly what documents they require and whether they have to be the original copies or not. I did the same for my parents’ cases.

And my parents’ visas have been issued today! So, they sent in the medical reports on 5/28. The case status changed from “Refused” to “Administrative Processing” on 6/17 and then today 6/30 it changed to “Issued”! 

Edited by HanhChi

16 hours ago, HanhChi said:

No, they didn’t. To be on the safe side, I’d check the website of the US embassy/consulate where your parents are scheduled to have interview to know exactly what documents they require and whether they have to be the original copies or not. I did the same for my parents’ cases.

And my parents’ visas have been issued today! So, they sent in the medical reports on 5/28. The case status changed from “Refused” to “Administrative Processing” on 6/17 and then today 6/30 it changed to “Issued”! 

Congratulations!!! 🎊 

One more question: when uploading documents to ceac for the passport did your parents upload all the pages, or only the one with name and picture?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.