Hpotter

San Francisco Office Same-day Oath ceremony

16 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Belgium
Timeline

Based on the posted timelines, same-day ceremonies are probably still happening in SF: https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/citlist.php?op6=All&op7=San+Francisco+CA&op1=6&op2=&op4=1&op5=&cfl=0

F-1: 2003-2009

H-1B: 2009-2015

LPR: 2015 - 2021

Naturalized citizen: July 2021

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I shared my experience from almost a month ago now here: 

[01/17/2014] I-130, I-485, I-765 sent off to Chicago

[01/21/2014] (Day 01) Package delivered to Chicago Lockbox

[01/27/2014] (Day 06) NOA1 confirmation txts + emails - Case files transferred to USCIS National Benefits Center

[01/30/2014] (Day 09) NOA1 hard copies in the mail

[02/03/2014] (Day 13) Biometrics Appointment letter for 02/19/2014

[02/04/2014] (Day 14) Biometrics Walk-In successful in Oakland

[02/10/2014] (Day 20) I-485 Status changed to "Testing and Interview"

[02/15/2014] (Day 25) NOA: Interview Date: 03/18/2014

[03/18/2014] (Day 57) Interview in SF; Online Status "Card in Production"

[03/27/2014] (Day 66) Green Card in the mail

Timeline
On 6/10/2021 at 9:09 PM, Hpotter said:

Thanks y'all!

I hope everything went well today! I'm hoping you can share if you were able to do the oath same-day. If so, what time was the oath?

To update everyone who's supporting me on my journey. Today I've become a U.S. citizen! The interview in the morning went really well. I went there about 20 mins ahead of the appointment time, and the security person just let me in right away. The check in was quick, no photos/fingerprints taken. The wait didn't take too long either, maybe about 10-15 mins past my scheduled time.

Everything was done through a couple of iPads: there is one iPad for video call with the officer, and another iPad for reading/writing tests, reviewing documents, etc. There's also a printer so that the officer can print the result notice.

The officer was extremely nice and courteous, she was asking me to show my green card, state ID, and the current passport, then proceed to ask me about my personal information (like name, date of birth, etc.). Then we went into reading/writing test. My reading test was "When is Columbus day?", and the writing test was "Columbus day is in October." Then we proceeded to the civics question, then go over the N-400 again, ending with the yes/no questions at the end.

Once the officer told me that I passed, she asked if I want to do the same-day oath ceremony. I said yes I'd like to. She then printed out the form and said that somebody will come and get me from the room and I should wait for about 10-15 mins for the oath ceremony notice since I'll be having it later that afternoon.

The oath ceremony happens in the same building but a different entrance, so you must be careful about that. They checked me in, took my green card and gave me my certificate right away. Then an officer gives a quick talk, we did the oath, and was shuffled out of the room. And that's really it. Unfortunately, no photo opportunity at all :(

• 6 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I need to attend the interview in few days at SFO. Few questions.

1. Is it true that only morning interview schedules gets the option for the same day oath(Is it right that Oath's happens only after lunch?
  2. My interview time is at 10:50 AM, what are my chances for the SAME DAY Oath?
  3. Can I request them to keep my Green Card (as a memory) ? Do they take the Green Card at the interview OR at the Oath? Can I ask if I can keep it?
  4. Do I need to take the copies of the documents attached with my online application even though I am taking the originals? (namely: Green Card, Birth Certificate, Passport, Kids birth certificates, Marriage certificate) Mine is a 5 years GC-N400(not marriage based).

Thanks

Attn: @Hpotter , @Wafflebot @Wurstbrot_Royal @agripa @Alwesa @Anna Rock @UnaMexicana@birdnerd

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline
17 minutes ago, ImmiGeek said:
  1. Is it true that only morning interview schedules gets the option for the same day oath(Is it right that Oath's happens only after lunch?
  2. My interview time is at 10:50 AM, what are my chances for the SAME DAY Oath?
  3. Can I request them to keep my Green Card (as a memory) ? Do they take the Green Card at the interview OR at the Oath? Can I ask if I can keep it?
  4. Do I need to take the copies of the documents attached with my online application even though I am taking the originals? (namely: Green Card, Birth Certificate, Passport, Kids birth certificates, Marriage certificate) Mine is a 5 years GC-N400(not marriage based).

1. That was not true in in July this year. My interview was scheduled for 1:30 p.m., and I had my ceremony at 3:15 p.m. that same day. It seemed like they were doing oath ceremonies at least every couple of hours well into the afternoon.

2. Same-day oaths seemed pretty standard in SF the months leading up to mine in July 2021 (based on what I saw on this forum), but I have not paid attention to this since then.

3. They took my green card when I signed in for my oath.

4. My app was based on the 5-year rule as well, and while I brought a whole bunch of documents with me, I wasn't asked to show any of them. Your mileage may vary depending on how you answered certain questions on your application, for example of you have any outstanding tax balances. My assumption is that, if they needed any additional original documents, you would have received an RFE before they scheduled your interview.

Timeline

@Wafflebot: My sincere appreciation for your kind and quick attention on my above request. Thank you.

Thanks for clarifying my question about the possible Same-Day-Oath and Green Card retention.

I dont see any issues on my 5 years petition, pretty straight forward. I have verified my online IRS account statement, its of Zero Balance all of the last 20+ years. No pending/late fee etc any time.  I have never left US since my N400 petition, no criminal record anywhere. No marriage/kids changes etc. Only one employer change, currently employed. Printed my N400 application, need a couple of corrections, marker-highlighted to get them done during the interview. Having said that, I am envisioning a smooth ride for my interview and Oath.

BTW, (sorry to ask you more): Is there any Passport Volunteers on the Oath time to accept Passport applications there? In the past it used to be there. Anyways, I did fill and print the Passport application already just in case if there is such option. (If this option is available, They will verify the Naturalization certificate there itself and return it, no need to send it to DOS and hoping the best to get it back).

Also I intend to fetch a couple of "Certified" Naturalization  copies there itself  (see my notes below in my signature for more more details)

Again, thanks for being kind in helping to understand these.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline

@ImmiGeek There was no option to submit a passport application after my oath, I think that's been pretty standard during COVID.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Wafflebot said:

@ImmiGeek There was no option to submit a passport application after my oath, I think that's been pretty standard during COVID.

Thank you @Wafflebot : I did expect that. I have taken a passport appointment at the local post office on the same day towards the end of the day. I just want to submit the passport application as soon as I can to save time. 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 1 year later...

Hope it's okay to revive this thread but happy to post in another one if it's more relevant. Does the San Francisco Field Office still do same-day oath ceremonies? Now that things are basically post-pandemic I'm not sure if there is a solidified policy one way or another since a lot of the info shared is anecdotal.

• 1 month later...
On 6/21/2023 at 12:29 PM, jxn said:

Hope it's okay to revive this thread but happy to post in another one if it's more relevant. Does the San Francisco Field Office still do same-day oath ceremonies? Now that things are basically post-pandemic I'm not sure if there is a solidified policy one way or another since a lot of the info shared is anecdotal.

Yes they do 🙂 I was just there yesterday and everyone who passed went straight to their oath ceremony that day. I scheduled mine for Friday 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
On 7/27/2023 at 4:08 AM, I.Kat said:

Yes they do 🙂 I was just there yesterday and everyone who passed went straight to their oath ceremony that day. I scheduled mine for Friday 🙂

@I.Kat, do you know how long the ceremony takes and if visitors are allowed?

08/15/2017 -  I-129F NOA1 

02/22/2018 - NOA2 (online)

02/26/2018 - NOA2

03/20/2018 - NVC received, RDJ assigned 

05/24/2018 - Medical

05/29/2018 - Interview (rescheduled by Consulate for 06/06)

06/06/2018  - Interview

06/15/2018 - Visa in hand

07/21/2018 - POE

07/26/2018 - Wedding day

08/23/2018 - Mailed AOS packet (I-130, I-485, I-765)

08/24/2018 - Package received

08/25/2018 - NOA1 for I-130, I-485, I-765

09/07/2018 - Received hard copy of NOA1

10/23/2018 - Biometrics letter notice for I-485 & I-765 & I-131 

11/09/2018 - Biometrics Appointment Done

11/15/2018 - Case Is Ready To Be Scheduled For An Interview

01/29/2019 - Request for Initial Evidence  EAD/AP

xx/xx/2019 - EAD/AP Approved

XX/XX/201X - Card in Production

XX/XX/201X - Received Approval Notice in the Mail

XX/XX//201X - Card Mailed (Priority Mail) to Me

XX/XX/201X - Card Received

XX/XX/201X - Interview Date XX/XX

XX/XX/201X - Interview

XX/XX/201X - Received hard copy for GC

XX/XX/201X - USCIS Mobile Status changed to "Card was mailed to me"

XX/XX/201X - Permanent Resident/Green Card received 

5 minutes ago, Pbl said:

@I.Kat, do you know how long the ceremony takes and if visitors are allowed?

The ceremony itself was very short, probably like 5 minutes but the whole check-in process was probably like 1-1,5 hour. They did not allow visitors, super disappointing for everyone who came with loved ones 😪 I am unsure whether they'd allow visitors if there were less people but we were at capacity

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.