marcella

question about "proof oh having met within 2 years"

21 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Should I explain what I am sending as a proof of having met him within 2 years? For example, on the letter its says we met on this restaurant he works at, so im sending pictures of us in front of this restaurant, and a couple of my credit card bills showing ive eaten there a few times. whould i explain this to the USCIS and if so, where should i do it ?

thanks!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

They are usually okay with the travel documents to and from his country, phone bills and stuff... I don't think it would hurt to supply anything that helps your case.

TIME LINE 2007

01/12/07-I Fly to Australia

01/25/07-We Got Married!

07/15/07-Point of Entry (K3 Visa)

K3 Time Line for the I-130, I-129F, EAD and AOS

usaCa.gifanimated-hearts.gifaustralC_1xa.gif

Lifting Conditions Timeline

11/06/09- Mailed Petition Via USPS Certified Mail

11/09/09- Your item was delivered at 11:08 AM on November 9, 2009 in LAGUNA NIGUEL, CA 92677.

11/12/09- Check Cashed

11/12/09- Return Receipt Arrives in Mail

11/13/09- Touched

11/16/09- NOA Received

11/27/09- Received Appointment Letter

12/18/09- Biometrics

12/21/09- Touched

01/08/10- Card Production Ordered (E-Mail)

01/09/10- Touched

01/14/10- Greencard Received

Filed: Timeline
Should I explain what I am sending as a proof of having met him within 2 years? For example, on the letter its says we met on this restaurant he works at, so im sending pictures of us in front of this restaurant, and a couple of my credit card bills showing ive eaten there a few times. whould i explain this to the USCIS and if so, where should i do it ?

thanks!

No need to explain what you are sending, you can write ___ Restaurant, Brazil xx/xx/2006 on the back. Also, boarding passes & passport stamps are most important!

thanks!

No need to explain what you are sending, you can write ___ Restaurant, Brazil xx/xx/2006 on the back. Also, boarding passes & passport stamps are most important!

What I did with mine and Jacki's was to provide bank and credit card statements (I blacked out all account numbers) showing the bills for the International Travel via plane to the Philippines. I also included the travel itineraries for the first two trips, as well as boarding passes. I labeled each section and subsection of our packet as to what exactly they contained, but I did not go into great detail other than dates and what was included in that section. Almost a Table of Contents would be what I would call it. Color photocopies of passport stamp pages showing the passport stamps of entry into and exit from beneficiary's country, and also for entry back into the USA is also helpful. Photographs of the two of you together are in my opinion, the best evidence. But you should bolster that with travel information as I noted above. Hope this helps.

D&J

05-26-2006: Engaged!!

DHS/USCIS - I-129F

02-26-2007: Petition Mailed to TSC via Express Mail

03-06-2007: NOA1 "Notice"

03-07-2007: Check cashed (posted 03-12-2007)

03-12-2007: NOA1 Received in Mail from CSC

06-11-2007: NOA2 Received in Mail from CSC

NVC

06-22-2007: NVC Received Case

06-26-2007: NVC Sent to Manila Embassy (got DOS Case #)

07-02-2007: Received Letter from NVC, dated June 27, 2007

USE-Manila

06-26-2007: USE received case electronically

07-05-2007: USE received hard copy of case from NVC

07-31-2007: J receivied Packet 4

08-16/17-2007: J did early Medical Review at St. Luke's

09-10-2007: Interview Approved!

09-14-2007: Visa in HAND!!

02/21/2008: USA Arrival

03/29/2008: Wedding!

05/12/2008: Mailed AOS via Express Mail

05/21/2008: Check clears our bank account

05/22/2008: Touch on all three apps

05/23/2008: NOA1 for AOS, EAD, and AP arrives from MSC (notice date 5/19/08)

05/24/2008: Received Biometrics Appt. Letter

06/16/2008: Biometrics Appt. at Durham Office

06/17/2008: EAD & AOS touched

07/21/2008: AP "Approval Notice Sent" & EAD "Card Production Ordered" via CRIS Email

07/25/2008: 2 copies of AP approval form received in snail mail, dated 7/21/08

07/28/2008: EAD Card arrives in mail; CRIS email sent I765 (EAD) "Approval Notice Sent"

11/25/2008: Received Appt. Letter dated 11/18/2008 (Appt. is 1/13/09)

01/13/2009: AOS Interview approved

01/20/2009: AOS Approval Notice received

01/23/2009: 2-year Green Card received

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

thanks!

I would suggest you put on the I-129 under how did you meet?.....

We met at the restaurant where my fiance works on X date Xyear. Then simply include the proof you were in the country, a receipt from the restaurant and a picture of the two of you in front of the restaurant.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

i also did a sort of table of contents for each section...i have my i-129f cover letter (general outline for the entire packet), then one for having met in person within 2 years, and another itemized list for proof of an ongoing relationship...

if there were any gray areas in my case, i explained them on the cover page for the appropriate section...but if there is nothing strange about the situation then they should be able to figure it out...

for example, i use an international calling card to call my fiance, so rather than my bills repeating his phone number over and over again, it repeats a 1-800 number...i was able to explain this to them in the cover sheet for the section on having an ongoing relationship

Removal of Conditions NOA: 2/24/11

Biometrics Appt: 8/15/11

ROC Approval: 9/30/11

Card Production Ordered: 10/11/11

Card Received: 10/15/11

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline
i also did a sort of table of contents for each section...i have my i-129f cover letter (general outline for the entire packet), then one for having met in person within 2 years, and another itemized list for proof of an ongoing relationship...

if there were any gray areas in my case, i explained them on the cover page for the appropriate section...but if there is nothing strange about the situation then they should be able to figure it out...

for example, i use an international calling card to call my fiance, so rather than my bills repeating his phone number over and over again, it repeats a 1-800 number...i was able to explain this to them in the cover sheet for the section on having an ongoing relationship

Babybluesusie, there is no section on having an ongoing relationship in the initial application - just proof of having met. Evidence of the ongoing relationship is not needed until the interview.

Edited by smgx4000

wellp! i sent it in! lol ive read that i should send in both with the initial petition...oh well, i dont think that it can hurt

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

thanks!

And for the K-1 interview, make sure you ahve evidence of your relationship. I brought pictures - including pictures of him, my daughter (he's her daddy even though not biological), and myself; and also family pictures of him, myself, my daughter, my mom, grandma, etc. We took family pics on holidays so he was always in all of them.

I had cards that he had given and sent me over the years, phone bills, letters, emails, airline tickets, etc.

I was kinda worried about evidence at first because we spent most of our time together in Germany when he was stationed there. Since we had no clue what a k-1 visa actually was, we didnt think about getting evidence together. Thankfully, I save everything and was able to use it all for my interview.

036.jpg

Timeline:

*Met in Tanzfleck, Germany October 24, 2003 - Continued dating until he got out of the ARMY in Nov. 2005. Continued LD relationship.

*Came to visit me in Germany for New Years 2006

*Filed for K1 Visa on 4/4/06

*NOA1 - 7/6/06

*I-129F NOA2 Approved - 9/14/06

*Came to see me Thanksgiving week in Nov. 2006

*K1 Interview - 2/2/07

*K1 Visa received - 2/11/07

*Date of US Entry (POE Chicago)- 3/5/07

*Wedding/Marriage - 3/17/07

AOS (My case was expedited due to husband going to Iraq):

*Filed for AOS - 4/20/07

*Found out in the beginning of June that husband is going to Iraq

*NOA for I-485 - 6/11/07

*Made Infopass appointment to get case expedited due to deployment (Infopass appt 6/12/07)

*Biometrics - 7/7/07

*Interview date - 7/11/07

*I-485 Aprroval date- 7/11/07

*Green Card Received- 7/19/07

Removal of Conditions:

*Filed petition to remove conditions on 6/9/09

*NOA- 6/15/09

*Biometrics Appt. in Birmingham - 8/6/09

*Lifting of Conditions Approval Date - 10/22/09

*Waiting for Green Card!

Had our daughter on 4/4/08 and have another baby due 11/19/09!!!

wellp! i sent it in! lol ive read that i should send in both with the initial petition...oh well, i dont think that it can hurt

Weeeelll, not necessarily, depends on who's adjudicating your case. For the most part, you're right it will not hurt your petition, but if there is any inconsistency in the documentation you've provided (a date wrong, for examle) you may get an RFE asking for further proof.

Given that you've provided 'ongoing' relationship proof in your original I-129F petiton, make sure your fiance gets a copy of everything you sent in to USCIS. Remember that your original petition, w/ all the evidence makes its way to the consulate where your fiance will be interviewing for the visa. So the CO can and will question your fiance on all documents they have, which include the 'ongoing relationship' evidence you sent. So your fiance will need a copy, to be prepared for any questions the CO may ask from the information. (Like what's the 1-800 number your fiance calls for the calling card?) Given that you're going through the Albanian consulate, which from my understanding is not the easiest to process through, make sure your fiance knows details....since you've provided more detail than necessary in your initial filing, more than likely the consulate will use that info to quiz your fiance at the visa interview.

Good luck,

-P

funny-dog-pictures-wtf.jpg

its all good...ive already sent him the copy

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

This is what they are looking for - note especially what DOESN'T count at all as well as what is the PRIMARY - the best - evidence:

Submit evidence of meeting the meneficiary in person within the two-year period preceding the filing of the petiition. The primary evidence may include airline ticket stubs and receipts (that indicate month, day, and year), copies of passport pages taht show the identification page and admission stamps, military order(s), letter from Commanding Officer, or any evidence that will help the USCIS to determine that the petitioner has met the beneficiary within the two years. The secondary evidence may be film dated photographs of the petitioner and the beneficiary together. The following DOES NOT constitue evidence of meeting: disc, videos, emails, letters, phone bills, and greeting cards.

The best evidence to send is self-explanatory. Your passport stamps, boarding passes, etc. Just highlight the important parts to make sure they see the stamp, date, names, etc. They'll know what a passport and boarding passes look like. For photos, the dates alone are fine. They'll have passport size photos of you to compare to anyway.

Best of luck.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

We also sent in proof of ongoing relationship. I think that's important.

Of course you need to prove that you've met in the past 2 years...but what else? I moved back to the U.S. and wanted to show that we are still very much in contact with each other - hence the e-mails, letters, pictures, gifts, phone bills....

11/2004 - Met in Brazil

09/2006 - Apply for K1

03/2007 - K1 approved

04/2007 - Apply for AOS & EAD

07/2007 - EAD approved

01/2008 - Conditional Residency approved

11/2009 - Apply to remove conditions

02/2010 - Permanent Residency approved

11/2010 - Apply for Citizenship

03/2011 - Citizenship approved

07/2011 - Moved back to Brazil

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
I labeled each section and subsection of our packet as to what exactly they contained, but I did not go into great detail other than dates and what was included in that section. Almost a Table of Contents would be what I would call it.

that's what i want to do... just a brief explanation of what I'm sending it. siiiilly question but..how did you separate the sections of your files? did you put them in a folder or something like that?

(kinda like things organized. the mess its driving me crazy...as well of the passport-style pics on a ZIP LOC bag. gosh :wacko: )

i used giant paper clips and binder clips...i had it in a large envelope, but because i mailed it express mail, the envelope wouldnt fit! so i just put them all in the express mail envelope...it was still organized though...i had these nice little transparent envelopes that came with the passport photos...i attached those to the g-325a with a paper clip and i put the photos of us together in a ziplock attached to the section on meeting in the past 2 years =0)

if you dont put it in a folder, just make sure the pages are labeled with your info

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.