LadyJLeague

Pending 130 need adjustment advice

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-2 Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline

Mother in law has a pending 130 by my husband USC.  Will be sending in an adjustment of status application as well (485).  She is visiting the US on her tourist visa since July and visitor status expired in January.  Should I be sending in any other documentation for adjustment of status application?

Husband now USC Jan 2020! 

Born in DR

K1 Visa in 2016

2 babies together

Petitioned 130 for my stepsons (as USC at that time March 2019)

Petitioned 130 for mother in law (husband petitioned April 2020 - after he became citizen)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

1. When was the I-130 filed? 

2. Was it filed when she was in or outside US?

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-2 Country: Dominican Republic
Timeline
On 5/25/2021 at 8:26 PM, Timona said:

1. When was the I-130 filed? 

2. Was it filed when she was in or outside US?

It was filed April 2020 and she was not present, since then the 130 has been accepted and she has been in the US since November, so 8 months now.  Two months past recommended vida stay.  The 139 was granted last week and I am gonna send in adjustment of status but not sure if I need to send regular 485

Husband now USC Jan 2020! 

Born in DR

K1 Visa in 2016

2 babies together

Petitioned 130 for my stepsons (as USC at that time March 2019)

Petitioned 130 for mother in law (husband petitioned April 2020 - after he became citizen)

Timeline

That is not how it works. Sorry.

You will have to start a fresh since she's now here. You cannot file an I-130 for Consular processing, come to US, overstay and then want to continue with the process while in the US. She will have to go back home to continue with the process since it was Consular. She now has an overstay and if she decided to go back and continue with the process at the embassy, she may run into problems.

To avoid all this, she'll have to start afresh with the process now that she's in the US. File all papers at the same time. Let her not attempt to leave the US before she gets advanced parole. Follow the below guides.

And lastly, use a money order. I cannot stress this enough. USCIS and CC payments are not good friends.

Try filing as soon as you can because being an overstay, she can run it on law enforcement and things can get murky. There is a thread here this week of this happening to someone. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, Timona said:

That is not how it works. Sorry.

You will have to start a fresh since she's now here. You cannot file an I-130 for Consular processing, come to US, overstay and then want to continue with the process while in the US. She will have to go back home to continue with the process since it was Consular. She now has an overstay and if she decided to go back and continue with the process at the embassy, she may run into problems.

To avoid all this, she'll have to start afresh with the process now that she's in the US. File all papers at the same time. Let her not attempt to leave the US before she gets advanced parole. Follow the below guides.

And lastly, use a money order. I cannot stress this enough. USCIS and CC payments are not good friends.

Try filing as soon as you can because being an overstay, she can run it on law enforcement and things can get murky. There is a thread here this week of this happening to someone. 

IR5 can adjust from overstay without repercussions but yes must understand limitations of the process.

agree re credit card payments, another forum I am on a bunch of people are getting CC rejections even when telling their card companies its authorized, from different CCs.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
1 hour ago, SusieQQQ said:

IR5 can adjust from overstay without repercussions but yes must understand limitations of the process.

agree re credit card payments, another forum I am on a bunch of people are getting CC rejections even when telling their card companies its authorized, from different CCs.

Yes IR5 can adjust from overstay BUT by filing afresh. 

However, look at OP's situation. They did I-130 before MIL came over. She's now here, overstayed and OP wanted to do AOS based off of that I-130 (by sending in I-485 - basically). That, I don't think it's possible. 

They'll have to start afresh with new I-130..

Edited by Timona

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Peru
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Timona said:

Yes IR5 can adjust from overstay BUT by filing afresh. 

However, look at OP's situation. They did I-130 before MIL came over. She's now here, overstayed and OP wanted to do AOS based off of that I-130 (by sending in I-485 - basically). That, I don't think it's possible. 

They'll have to start afresh with new I-130..

A number of people in the AOS from work/student/tourist visa forum are in similar situations (I-130 already filed for consular processing when they came to visit the US without intent with a tourist visa and then decided to adjust), and didn’t need to file a new I-130. So it is possible. 

Edited by iy2020

09/25/20: AOS package (I-130/I-485/I-765/I-944) mailed out via USPS.

09/27/20: Package received by USPS.

10/24/20: Received NOA1 in the mail. PD is 09/28/20.

01/05/21: Biometrics appointment completed (Brooklyn ASC). Case updated to show fingerprints were taken (I-486 & I-765).

01/05/21: I-131 mailed via UPS.

01/17/21: Received IOE receipt number for I-131 via text.

01/25/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-131.

02/02/21: I-485 Case is ready to be scheduled for an interview.

02/04/21: Received I-693 deficiency notice in the mail (dated 01/29/21).

02/09/21: Advance Parole document was produced.

02/16/21: AP in hand.
02/26/21: New Card Is Being Produced (EAD).

03/04/21: EAD in hand.

09/01/21: EAD renewal paperwork received by USCIS. IOE receipt number.

09/07/21: Receipt / 180-day automatic extension received in the mail.

09/09/21: Received a biometrics reuse notice for I-765 renewal.

10/25/21: AP renewal NOA and biometrics reuse received in the mail.

11/04/21: Interview was scheduled for 12/02.

Timeline
13 minutes ago, iy2020 said:

A number of people in the AOS from work/student/tourist visa forum are in similar situations (I-130 already filed for consular processing when they came to visit the US without intent with a tourist visa and then decided to adjust), and didn’t need to file a new I-130. So it is possible. 

Really? I'd love to read about this. Any link? 

You may be misunderstanding the process. 

Let's talk student for example....Your parents filed an I-130 for you and you're over 21 years. You get tourist visa and come to US...There's no way you're gonna adjust if your PD is not current. And I'm pretty sure your PD cannot be current within max 6 months authorized stay. 

Let's talk a spouse of USC who filed I-130 and then wife later obtained tourist visa, came to the US and overstayed. Yes, she can adjust immediately as she's direct relative of USC and not subject to limitations. HOWEVER, she has to abandon the previously filed I-130 and start a fresh in the US. 

Read OP story well.

@Lucky Cat need some help here

Edited by Timona

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Taiwan
Timeline

I-130s are not process dependent.  They only establish the relationship between petitioner and beneficiary, not the continuing process.  The I-797 showing the I-130 has been submitted previously would suffice when submitting the I-485, imho.  I don't think a new I-130 is needed in this situation.

Edited by Lucky Cat

"The US immigration process requires a great deal of knowledge, planning, time, patience, and a significant amount of money.  It is quite a journey!"

- Some old child of the 50's & 60's on his laptop 

Senior Master Sergeant, US Air Force- Retired (after 20+ years)- Missile Systems Maintenance & Titan 2 ICBM Launch Crew Duty (200+ Alert tours)

Registered Nurse- Retired- I practiced in the areas of Labor & Delivery, Home Health, Adolescent Psych, & Adult Psych.

IT Professional- Retired- Web Site Design, Hardware Maintenance, Compound Pharmacy Software Trainer, On-site go live support, Database Manager, App Designer.

August 7, 2022: Wife filed N-400 Online under 5 year rule.

November 10, 2022: Received "Interview is scheduled" letter.

December 12, 2022:  Received email from Dallas office informing me (spouse) to be there for combo interview.

December 14, 2022: Combo Interview for I-751 and N-400 Conducted.

January 26, 2023: Wife's Oath Ceremony completed at the Plano Event Center, Plano, Texas!!!😁

February 6, 2023: Wife's Passport Application submitted in Dallas, Texas.

March 21, 2023:   Wife's Passport Delivered!!!!

May 15, 2023 (about):  Naturalization Certificate returned from Passport agency!!

In summary, it took 13 months for approval of the CR-1.  It took 44 months for approval of the I-751.  It took 4 months for approval of the N-400.   It took 172 days from N-400 application to Oath Ceremony.   It took 6 weeks for Passport, then 7 additional weeks for return of wife's Naturalization Certificate.. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Timona said:

Really? I'd love to read about this. Any link? 

You may be misunderstanding the process. 

Let's talk student for example....Your parents filed an I-130 for you and you're over 21 years. You get tourist visa and come to US...There's no way you're gonna adjust if your PD is not current. And I'm pretty sure your PD cannot be current within max 6 months authorized stay. 

Let's talk a spouse of USC who filed I-130 and then wife later obtained tourist visa, came to the US and overstayed. Yes, she can adjust immediately as she's direct relative of USC and not subject to limitations. HOWEVER, she has to abandon the previously filed I-130 and start a fresh in the US. 

Read OP story well.

I understood correctly. The example I had in mind was about spouses, I just mentioned the work/student visas because that’s the full name of the forum. 

Here you go if you want an example. A spouse who started their immigration journey via consular processing, then visited the US (without intent), then switched to AOS

As you can see from her other post, she didn’t send a new I-130 with her AOS package. 

There’s more examples in the forum of people already approved, but I’ll let you locate those if you are still interested in the subject. 

01/05/21: Biometrics appointment completed (Brooklyn ASC). Case updated to show fingerprints were taken (I-486 & I-765).

Timeline
1 hour ago, iy2020 said:

I understood correctly. The example I had in mind was about spouses, I just mentioned the work/student visas because that’s the full name of the forum. 

Here you go if you want an example. A spouse who started their immigration journey via consular processing, then visited the US (without intent), then switched to AOS

As you can see from her other post, she didn’t send a new I-130 with her AOS package. 

There’s more examples in the forum of people already approved, but I’ll let you locate those if you are still interested in the subject. 

I went through this link and there's only one person who did that. However, you do realize cashing and receiving receipts doesn't matter much? Basically cashed checks just means you paid right fee for the form. USCIS cashes checks and can later send you a rejection notice. I  doubt if the posters there will successfully AOS based on what they did. 

I'll start a thread to see what others say. It's good to learn from each other, though my money still remains where it is.

Timeline
1 hour ago, Lucky Cat said:

I-130s are not process dependent.  They only establish the relationship between petitioner and beneficiary, not the continuing process.  The I-797 showing the I-130 has been submitted previously would suffice when submitting the I-485, imho.  I don't think a new I-130 is needed in this situation.

I understand and acknowledge this. However, would the bolded still remain same if the I-130 was done at Consulate and now the beneficiary is in US, overstayed and wants to do AOS in the US by piggyridding on the Consular I-130 without starting afresh with new I-130? This is my question 

I know you can continue a process by submitting I-485, BUT if the initial I-130 was submitted while in US. I don't think I can submit I-130 in Kenya, come over on B2 then switch to AOS by continuing the process through I-485 WITHOUT filing a new I-130. That is the question...or can I? If that would be the case, a lot of spouses would be doing this. ......Just file the I-130 at Consulate, come over on B2 and then I'll submit I-485 to continue the process. Voila, I've circumvented the process. 

Edited by Timona

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Timona said:

I went through this link and there's only one person who did that. However, you do realize cashing and receiving receipts doesn't matter much? Basically cashed checks just means you paid right fee for the form. USCIS cashes checks and can later send you a rejection notice. I  doubt if the posters there will successfully AOS based on what they did. 

I'll start a thread to see what others say. It's good to learn from each other, though my money still remains where it is.

Yes, it’s only one person. You asked for an example, and so I gave you one.

And yes, I know that this person’s process isn’t complete (she’s gotten her EAD so far, if I’m not mistaken). But (as someone who’s been reading posts in those forums for a while) I definitely have read about people successfully AOSing with a similar pathway. Some had to ask for their I-130 file to be transferred stateside, for others it was done automatically without them needing to contact anyone about transferring. 

Hopefully you get a response to your thread you deem worthy of your standards. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, iy2020 said:

Hopefully you get a response to your thread you deem worthy of your standards. 

You really didn't need to go that route.

This is a learning forum. Learning never ceases.

There are many things I know that you don't and vice-versa. 

Timeline
1 minute ago, Timona said:

You really didn't need to go that route.

This is a learning forum. Learning never ceases.

There are many things I know that you don't and vice-versa. 

I’m going to end this here because I don’t want to further spam OPs post. I agree, learning never ceases. That’s why I think it’s unadvisable to say things with such a definite tone (like “that’s not how it works, sorry”) when in the end one might not be correct. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.