Nat & Mark

Pros vs. Cons of US Citizenship

51 posts in this topic

On 5/5/2021 at 6:59 PM, YecaCruz said:

Big pro: (as previously mentioned)

freedom to travel / live in another country without worrying about maintaining the greencard. That's the primary reason why my husband went all the way with US citizenship. We want to live in Nicaragua one day. Being able to come and go to the US without having to apply for a tourist visa AND ever having to deal with US immigrations and their ever increasing wait times and fees is freeing!

Yep, that is main reason my wife is getting her Citizenship

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline
7 hours ago, VALU said:

Some countries who don't allow dual citizenship don't even check or keep track, so not sure how big a deal it is...

That is right. Some countries do not even know if you became a US citizen. I guess you can keep your passport and ID and have dual citizenhip. It depends of what country are we talking about. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
14 hours ago, MarkPajr said:

What are people's thoughts on the primary con of losing original country citizenship where dual citizenship is not recognized? Would holding a greencard in that case be more beneficial by allowing you to keep your original citizenship as well? 

If you think that you might want to move back to you original country at some point then yes, Greencard + keeping your original citizenship would be your best bet.  If you are sure that you want to stay in America and never move back, than you can just as well naturalize in America and give up your old citizenship.  I most cases you will still be able to visit your old country.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
3 hours ago, RLA said:

If you think that you might want to move back to you original country at some point then yes, Greencard + keeping your original citizenship would be your best bet.  If you are sure that you want to stay in America and never move back, than you can just as well naturalize in America and give up your old citizenship.  I most cases you will still be able to visit your old country.

The OP that you advised is from the UNITED KINGDOM. They will not lose U.K. citizenship by naturalisation as American. That’s already been established in this thread. The British government will not drop them when they became American. They would have to file forms and pay money to the UK  to quit being British citizens. 

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

The OP that you advised is from the UNITED KINGDOM.

The OP was five days and 48 replies ago.  The discussion has broadened beyond the UK since then, and several people have brought up the issue of some countries not allowing dual citizenship, which is a relevant con of U.S. citizenship.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 minutes ago, RLA said:

The OP was five days and 48 replies ago.  The discussion has broadened beyond the UK since then, and several people have brought up the issue of some countries not allowing dual citizenship, which is a relevant con of U.S. citizenship.

Sorry, I thought you quoted the OP but I see it was another person. My bad. I think the OP hasn’t returned to read any of this discussion. At least they haven’t said “Thanks all” or “Good point”. Not a peep to indicate they have read it.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.