71 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Well I finally got through this post and must say that I agree totally and I too am the USC. I don't have any friends at the present moment. No one to call for coffee or go catch a movie with. My hubby is my best friend but he only cares to hear about fashion, celebrities, the latest tv shows and why my co-workers suck for a short amount of time and then I have lost him :P It is true that sometimes you just need a woman to relate to. I am close to my family but the hubby isn't really so that makes for some tough times :(

Anyways just wanted to pop in and share the same sentiments. America is a hard place to make REAL friends...especially when you are already out of school as it seems most people run in groups that were formed in highschool or college.

Keep the faith everyone! I hope you all can find a great confidant someday...myself included.

Oh yeah I also think that by living in a small town it really affects how to make friends. I live in a town 2 hours north of Seattle...not much diversity and if you aren't into the bar scene or country music :P around here than you are pretty much SOL.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read this thread off and on and I'm glad it's here. My wife is the Canadian and she's gets lonely. Not being able to work and the nature of our current housing(apartment) make it hard for her to meet people. Folks from my church have reached out to her, but it's still not the same as having a good pal to open up to. She has good days and bad days...mostly bad days lately since she's really sick with pregnancy and can't even get out of the house.

CIS Office : Philadelphia PA

08/25/09 I-751 Sent to VSC

08/26/09 Package arrives at VSC

08/31/09 Check is Cashed/Clears

08/27/09 NOA

09/24/09 Biometrics

11/24/09 Approval letter arrives!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

I have seen this thread but have never actually read it!

I'm not actually there full time yet! But this subject worries me a little bit too.... I have friends in America already... 3 or 4 very good ones. The only thing being, they are quite alot older than me... Which is fine for the most part. But I do want to meet people my own age too as sometimes the friends that I have now aren't particularly into what I am, like my friends here in England are.

So... Anyone close to the Hagerstown area of Maryland fancy getting together when I get there? :P

Edited by toshtishtash

Our K1 Journey

November 5th 2005 - ♥ Tash & Chris met ♥

June 11th 2007 - We posted the I129F :D

June 19th 2007 - USCIS received date

June 22nd 2007 - NOA1 received

November 16th 2007 - NOA2 - 156 days from filing

November 24th 2007 - Hard copy of NOA2 received

December 15th 2007 - Packet 3 received

January 18th 2008 - Packet 3 returned

February 13th 2008 - Packet 4 received

March 4th 2008 - Medical @ 1.00pm

March 5th 2008 - INTERVIEW @ 10.00am - APPROVED!!

March 11th 2008 - Visa received!

April 30th 2008 - Flying home at last!!!!! (POE: Dulles - Washington DC)

July 12th 2008 - Wedding date!

Now for AOS!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: France
Timeline

Sometimes it makes me want to do two things:

1) Start some sort of community of people from my country in the area. Of course I know there aren't many Frenchies around here...

There are groups of that sort that exist but it's usually in big cities only. In my case there is the Alliance Française, but it's in Charlotte, 2 hours away >.<

My godparent's (my godfather grew up in France) was part of a French community and made some life long friends with some (others were well... too snoob), and I kind of hope to be able to do that.

I don't expect to become friend with anyone from my country, but just the feeling of sharing the same experience, similar backgrounds and all, it seems like it would help. Add to it that we plan to have children someday and I wish for them to grow up in a bi-lingual and bi-cultural atmosphere.

2) In the Forum, additionally to the Regional Discussion that go country by country, I think it would be nice to have a state by state one for those who wish to meet others who come from foreign countries and live in their area.

I've been here for close to a year and without a job or the knowledge I could volunteer... Thankfully my now husband has family around, but still, I think without Internet I would go nuts. I don't make real friends very easily, it takes me time. And the people I meet are friends of my husband... I don't feel as close to them as he does. They're only my "friends" because of him and they never ask me out or offer to do something together.

I do miss a good girlfriend too, the one with whom you can go and shop, have fun trying clothes and not have to worry about what they will think. Because let's be honest, we're also in a country where the way you look and act is scrutinized and judge by people, at least it's how it feels to me.

Oh well, I know it will take time. Hopefully getting a job & volunteering will help, and I'm going to try to figure out where else I can meet people my age...

Edited by Cécy

08.2006: Entered with a B-2 visa.

07.06.07: Civil Wedding

07.17.2008 AOS approved with interview. It took 367 Days!

11.08.08: Big family wedding

09.18.09-10.03.09: First trip to France with Hubby

I-751

04.19.10: Package sent to Vermont

04.21.10: Delivered in Vermont

04.22.10: NOA date

04.23.10: Check cashed

05.17.10: Received biometrics appointment letter

06.07.10: Biometrics Appointment

06.26.10: Touched

07.07.10: Card Production Ordered!

07.17.10: Card in the mail :) Done until citizenship

French Thread I

French Thread II

I know what you mean, I feel like I wanna set up a group, get together with other people, not even necessarily from my own country but any other country, who can understand how strange and different this all is. People here don't get that.

Angelika (Schweinfurt, Germany) and Chris (Tulsa, USA)

I-130

Aug 23 2005 - sent to TSC

Aug 25 2005 - received at CSC

Aug 29 2005 - NOA1 in mail

Jan 25 2006 - NOA 2 per email

Jan 31 2006 - Case # assigned

Feb 13 2006 - AOS Bill and DS 3032 received

Feb 14 2006 - AOS Bill paid and DS 3032 sent to NVC

Feb 27 2006 - AOS form and IV Bill issued

Mar 23 2006 - AOS and IV Bill sent to NVC

Apr 10 2006 - DS230 received and sent right back

Apr 28 2006 - case complete

May 2 2006 - sent to Consulate

May 4 2006 - received at Consulate

July 17 2006 - Interview in Germany

Aug 02 2006 - Flying back to Tulsa with my CR1 in passport

Removal of Conditions - I-751

May 2 2008 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

May 21 2008 - Received NOA 1 (extension letter) from VSC

May 27 2008 - Biometrics Appointment in OKC

July 22 2008 - touched

August 6 2008 - touched

February 22, 2009 - touched

March 24, 2009 - card production ordered

April 4, 2009 - Green Card in mail

I-129F

Aug 31 - Oct 20 2005at NBC

Oct 26 - Nov 3 2005 at NVC

Jan 10 2006- Visa interview

Feb 09 2006- Flying to Tulsa

Filed: Country: Pitcairn Islands
Timeline
Because let's be honest, we're also in a country where the way you look and act is scrutinized and judge by people, at least it's how it feels to me.

Er, that would be any country on the planet. When you are a foreigner, you are the represenative of your country and culture. Natives watch you more closely, just how it is no matter where you go. I lived in Germany for three years (non-military). I was acutely aware of the above.

Filed: Country: Germany
Timeline
Because let's be honest, we're also in a country where the way you look and act is scrutinized and judge by people, at least it's how it feels to me.

Er, that would be any country on the planet. When you are a foreigner, you are the represenative of your country and culture. Natives watch you more closely, just how it is no matter where you go. I lived in Germany for three years (non-military). I was acutely aware of the above.

I agree.

Being a foreigner helps starting a conversation, I think. People are naturally curious and ask questions about the foreigner's home country, and I usually seize that chance to ask my own questions in return.

However, I find it hard to get behind this initial interest of people, and into a "deeper" level of conversation. That is very different in different cultures and languages, and I havent' quite figured out the American Way of it.

I find it easier to connect with people who are used to dealing with other foreigners. It's even easier to connect with somebody who has lived in a foreign country, too. These people ask very different questions than the ones that have never left the US! Not too many of that species around where I live, though...

Conditional Permanent Resident since September 20, 2006

Conditions removed February 23, 2009

I am extraordinarily patient,

provided I get my own way in the end!

Margaret Thatcher

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I think you can definitley use your "foreigner" status to your advantage, but it needs open minded people to do so.

My husband is in the AirForce, that's where I found most of the people I am talking to presently, slowly making friends.

Usually, they are open minded and curious about Germany or me being german, they ask how I am doing and how I am adjusting being in the US now.

Just that makes me happy because often enough I run into people who are pretty ignorant to the fact that I actually had a life (and a good one) in my homecountry. Worst cases are, when people ask if I am happy to be here now (for materialistic reasons, or "opportunities" I have here).

The only reason why I am here is my husband. Otherwise I'd be a happy little woman living and working in Germany.

But yes, it is difficult to find friends here, friends like I had them in Germany. And sometimes I wonder if I have to change my definition of "friends"... :huh:

Nadine & Kenneth

Our K-1 journey

02/06/2006 filed 129F

07/01/2007 received visa via "Deutsche Post"

08/27/2006 POE Dallas

->view my complete timeline

AOS, EAD and AP

12/6/2006 filed for AOS & EAD

1/05/2007 AOS transferred to California Service Center

01/16/2008 letter to Congressman

03/27/2008 GREENCARD arrived

ROC

02/02/2010 filed I-751

07/01/20010 Greencard arrived

Naturalization

12/08/2021 N-400 filed 

03/15/2022 Interview. Approved after "quality review"

05/11/2022 Oath Ceremony

The only reason why I am here is my husband. Otherwise I'd be a happy little woman living and working in Germany.

But yes, it is difficult to find friends here, friends like I had them in Germany. And sometimes I wonder if I have to change my definition of "friends"... :huh:

Same here, if it wasn't for my hubbie, I never would have thought about moving to the US of all places. I don't think I can change my definition of "Friends" just yet. As far as I'm concerned, most of them are aquaintances or co-workers, and I talk about them as this. I don't call them my friends...they of course think it's weird.

Angelika (Schweinfurt, Germany) and Chris (Tulsa, USA)

I-130

Aug 23 2005 - sent to TSC

Aug 25 2005 - received at CSC

Aug 29 2005 - NOA1 in mail

Jan 25 2006 - NOA 2 per email

Jan 31 2006 - Case # assigned

Feb 13 2006 - AOS Bill and DS 3032 received

Feb 14 2006 - AOS Bill paid and DS 3032 sent to NVC

Feb 27 2006 - AOS form and IV Bill issued

Mar 23 2006 - AOS and IV Bill sent to NVC

Apr 10 2006 - DS230 received and sent right back

Apr 28 2006 - case complete

May 2 2006 - sent to Consulate

May 4 2006 - received at Consulate

July 17 2006 - Interview in Germany

Aug 02 2006 - Flying back to Tulsa with my CR1 in passport

Removal of Conditions - I-751

May 2 2008 - Mailed I-751 to TSC

May 21 2008 - Received NOA 1 (extension letter) from VSC

May 27 2008 - Biometrics Appointment in OKC

July 22 2008 - touched

August 6 2008 - touched

February 22, 2009 - touched

March 24, 2009 - card production ordered

April 4, 2009 - Green Card in mail

I-129F

Aug 31 - Oct 20 2005at NBC

Oct 26 - Nov 3 2005 at NVC

Jan 10 2006- Visa interview

Feb 09 2006- Flying to Tulsa

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

Same here, if it wasn't for my hubbie, I never would have thought about moving to the US of all places. I don't think I can change my definition of "Friends" just yet. As far as I'm concerned, most of them are aquaintances or co-workers, and I talk about them as this. I don't call them my friends...they of course think it's weird.

Hey you guys! I found a really cool website last night called www.meetup.com. It's comprised of people who just want to meet new people and get out and do new/fun activities. There's a specific Meetup page for each major city in the U.S.

For example, I joined 3 meetup networks. 1) A book club that meets once per week; 2) A group of Canadian Expats; and 3) A group of people who have just moved to Cincinnati. It's free, and once you sign up, you will be notified by e-mail when there is a new event happening with that group. Events are scheduled by someone in the group- normally the group leader/starter. You must RSVP to the events, so it's harder to bail on them at the last minute because you're nervous ;).

Each person has an opportunity to put a small profile on there, just speaking about why they want to join the group ("I want to meet new people...."). So, you can see who's also in your group and kind of get to know them a bit.

It's cool!! I hope you guys go onto the site and check it out- definitely a chance to meet some people in the SAME situation as us!

I also signed up for volunteering with the Komen Breast Cancer foundation, Arthritis foundation, and Leukemia & Lymphoma society. I also signed up for a book club at the Library!!

Best of luck to you guys & gals!

AOS

AOS Package received in Chicago 4-25-07 (Day 1)

NOA 1 5-01-07 (Day 7)

Cheque Cashed 5-02-07 (Day 8)

Touched 5-04-07 (Day 10)

Biometrics Appointment 5-18-07 (Day 26)

Touched 5-21-07 (Day 29)

Transferred to CSC e-mail 5-25-07 (Day 33)

Touched 5-28-07 (Day 36)

Touched again...feels niiiice! 5-29-07 (Day 37)

Notice of CSC transfer via reg mail 6-01-07 (Day 40)

Touched; 'pending @ CSC' e-mail 6-07-07 (Day 46)

Touched 6-08-07 (Day 47)

Touched 6-10-07 (Day 49)

Touched 6-19-07 (Day 58)

Touched 6-20-07 (Day 59)

Touched 8-31-07 & 9-3-07

Card Production Ordered 10-01-07

Welcome Notice Sent 10-02-07

Lifting of Conditions

Sent 7/13/09

Received at CSC 7/14/09

NOA Receieved (Dated 7/14) 7/18/09

Biometrics Appointment 8/12/09

Touched 8/13/09

Hey you guys! I found a really cool website last night called www.meetup.com

Funny you should mention that I found it a week ago, I was looking for group meetups for backpacking because I'm too scared (and will be a beginner) to go on my own, so gonna sign up next year.

I never looked into it well enough (I don't know why, just didn't cross my mind) to look up other activities as well, so thanks for reminding me about it :D

mooglesmall2-1-1.jpgDelicioussig.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.