5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Italy
Timeline

Hi everyone, 

This morning I learnt that the form i-944, public charge rule, was dismissed starting on March 9th 2021.

I literally got tears to my eyes from how frustrated I felt. 

I sent my application for AOS in June 2020 and it was rejected in August because of that form not being included (we didn't know about it when we filed). Then we filed again right away WITHOUT that form because it was not required anymore and in NOVEMBER 2020 we got a RFE asking to mail that form, (uscis resumed it once again) that we sent in January 2021 cause it takes forever to put together all the (removed)they require. 

So, a total of almost 8 MONTHS wasted because of that (removed) form. 

And now it has been permanently dismissed!!!!!!!! 

And here I am, can't work, can't get a driving license, can't go visit my family because of that delay. 

(I still haven't gotten my ead+AP card!!) 

And in the meantime I had a daughter, which means that every time that I need to go buy groceries or to the pediatrician, I have to walk as I can't drive. 

We're talking of 6-7-8-9 miles on foot when it's 90-100° outside (I'm in California).

Not to mention that I can't contribute to the family finances and that my father had a cerebral stroke and I couldn't go visit him. 

And also that nobody from my family has seen my daughter yet. 

All that because of that stupid i-944 form. 

Which is not required anymore. 

I really wanna cry now. 

This post is probably useless, but I guess what I'm hoping for is some support and to know weather anybody else had similar experience and how you guys are dealing with them. 

Thank you all 

Edited by Ontarkie
bypassing language filter

I am very sorry that that form I-944 caused you so much trouble and stress. I agree with you that that form was a major pain.

We can't go back in time to fix the delays, but to make your life a little easier going forward, here are a few suggestions:

• Groceries: have you looked into online grocery delivery with Amazon or other stores? You can sign up for a free trial of Amazon Prime, try their free grocery delivery, and see if it works for your needs.
  • Pediatrician visits: there are some things that can only be done in person, but have you asked your pediatrician if there are certain visits that can be done through teleconference? It may cut down on the need for in-person visits.
  • Buy Nothing / Nextdoor groups: if money is a bit tight, have you considered joining your local Buy Nothing Facebook groups or Nextdoor.com? In my area, people post about household items/used adult and baby clothing they are giving away for free. I also get a lot of good info on local garage sales.

I hope these suggestions give you some ideas for making your life easier and saving some money while you wait for your EAD/AP to come through.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline

If your Italian driver's license is valid you can still drive in the US.

You live in California so you should be able to get an AB Driver's license: https://www.ilrc.org/sites/default/files/resources/ab_60_4_27_15.pdf 

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

So sorry that you are having a rough time.  I hope that you will be able to get your EAD/AP soon.

Try to get Emergency AP.  Make an Infopass appointment and bring evidence of your father's medical condition. 

Blame Trump and the Republicans for the I-944.

What you're going through are the downsides of choosing the K-1 fiancee visa over the CR-1 spousal visa.

Hope things get better for you soon.

On 4/23/2021 at 10:22 AM, aaron2020 said:

What you're going through are the downsides of choosing the K-1 fiancee visa over the CR-1 spousal visa.

Adjusting from esta so skipped the k1 wait/cost. 

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.