Quinton1980

Marriage Issues - Already filed I-751

6 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Bermuda
Timeline

Hi, 

I need some advice.  My receipt date for the I-751 is Feb 2020.  So it has been 13+ months.  Just recently, around the end of Feb, my marriage has start to have to turbulence.  I am now living separately and as of today, I have asked my husband to give me space for my own mental health.  But I am still waiting to have my conditions lifted on my Green Card.  I anticipate it will be another several months before they get to me.  I have no clue what to do now.  We are not divorcing and we are not legally separated through a court.  How will this affect my application?  What if they want to do an interview with me and my spouse.  Is there something I need to do, some form or something?  I am so lost.  Please help if you know what actions I should take.  Thank you!

1 hour ago, Quinton1980 said:

Hi, 

I need some advice.  My receipt date for the I-751 is Feb 2020.  So it has been 13+ months.  Just recently, around the end of Feb, my marriage has start to have to turbulence.  I am now living separately and as of today, I have asked my husband to give me space for my own mental health.  But I am still waiting to have my conditions lifted on my Green Card.  I anticipate it will be another several months before they get to me.  I have no clue what to do now.  We are not divorcing and we are not legally separated through a court.  How will this affect my application?  What if they want to do an interview with me and my spouse.  Is there something I need to do, some form or something?  I am so lost.  Please help if you know what actions I should take.  Thank you!

Is this just a trial separation for you guys? Are you absolutely sure you guys will not be getting divorced? It doesn't matter if you did get divorced because you can request USCIS to update your ROC filing to a divorce waiver and then present the divorce decree once it's in your hands. If you stay legally married and you get called for an interview, your spouse has to go to the interview with you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

Simplest is to get divorced.  

Alternatively, if you thing the marriage can be salvaged, continue.  However if you have an interview you will have to convince the IO that you getting “space” from your spouse is a bonafide marriage.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Things to consider while you are separated from your spouse.

You can only complete a joint i751 petition if are together with your spouse. If you are officially separated, then USCIS will in the future will examine the good faith status of your marriage either when you complete the i751 at an interview or when you file for your n400.

So if you get called in for an interview you need your spouse to attend and support you proving that you are both still together a married couple.

If you get approved without an interview USCIS will look at your marital status in the future if you are divorced and you got the divorce or officially separated before or shortly after the i751 is approved USCIS may suspect marriage fraud.

If you sure you are headed for divorce your best choice is file for divorce soon and convert your i751 to a divorce waiver case. Then there will be no issues with USCIS going forward.

K1 Visa Arrived USA July 2017

Married August 2017

AOS Approved July 2018

Filed for i751 joint application May 2020

Fingerprints reused October 2020, and February 2021 and June 2021 (Yes 3 fingerprint notices)

Case move to National Benefits Center December 2020 for quicker processing from California Service Center

Oct 2021 out of processing time inquiry made, response May 5th 2022 that our i751 case will be addressed at our n400 interview

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento

Approved June 08, 2022

Filed for Naturalization May 2021

Fingerprints reused May 2021

Combo interview May 16th 2022, in Sacramento, 

Approved June 08, 2022

Oath Ceremony completed June 29th 2022

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

For any marriage in trouble, I would recommend marriage counseling. In this case, perhaps bringing receipts for payments to the counselor would demonstrate a bonafide attempt to work things out. If there is no interview, but you are divorced later, then bringing the receipts to the n400 interview might help there also.

Edited by JonSeattle

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.