seetsuh

Updated My SSN with SSA and it was simple

147 posts in this topic

Exactly what we did months ago, and it went very well.

Got the passport back within a few days, and the new SS card in another couple of weeks.

No issues whatsoever.

Profile pic - Rainbow Tower of the Hilton Hawaiian Village - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii.

Why this for the profile pic?  Often in movies and on TV when they show Hawaii they show this beach/view. So, instead of doing Kauai or some other locale, we decided to do here, so that whenever some show shows Hawaii and this view, we will see where we were married.

BENEFICIARY (From Dubai)

2012 - US Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

2012 - First Night spent in the US - Waikiki Beach, Honolulu

2016 - Wedding on the beach, Honolulu, Hawaii

2016 - Honeymoon at the hotel in this photo, Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

They were filming a scene of Hawaii Five-O in the suite above ours during our Honeymoon stay! Actors everywhere!

Spouse hung out here with celebrities from the movie The Fifth Element back when he moved to Hawaii

2016 - US Spousal Visa, via DCF, Manila, Philippines

PETITIONER (from NYC)

1999 - Got a place right down the street from this hotel - Waikiki, Honolulu, Hawaii

2007 - Visited Philippines on vacation

2008 - Got a condo in Makati, PH

2012 - Considered for a role on the TV show, The Last Resort, shot out of Hawaii

SUMMARY TIMELINE

06/2011 - Met Spouse in Makati, Philippines

01/2012 - B1/B2 Tourist Visa, Manila, Philippines

10/2016 - Married in Hawaii

11/2016 - Filed for Spousal Visa DCF, in Manila, Philippines

12/2016 - POE, CR-1 Status Received

10/2018 - ROC I-751 Received by USCIS

10/2019 - Filed for Citizenship, N-400

03/2020 - Citizenship Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Armenia
Timeline
10 hours ago, seetsuh said:

The whole process took a week, I first applied for my passport and passport card, I then filled out the SSN application and mailed it off with a letter stating that I am updating my citizenship status and included my passport card as evidence of citizenship. So if anyone is worried about SSA loosing their naturalization certificate, you don't have to mail that, just mail your passport card if you applied for one.

@seetsuh Deeply Appreciate the info! However, would you be so kind to confirm that you actually sent the Passport "Card" rather than the Passport "Book"? Pardon my question, but no where in the SSA Form SS-5-FS  (Page 2, Last Paragraph - "Evidence of US Citizenship") do we see that the Passport "Card" could be submitted. If the Passport "Card" is acceptable, this is a great tip!!!  Spending an additional $30 to get the Passport Card and not be worried of SSA's delays (in case an international trip arises in the interim, one could use the Passport Book to travel while the Passport Card is at SSA for the Citizenship Status update.) Hence my question. Anyone else successful in updating their citizenship status at SSA using the Passport "Card". Thanks again!

2 hours ago, DallasDreamy said:

@seetsuh Deeply Appreciate the info! However, would you be so kind to confirm that you actually sent the Passport "Card" rather than the Passport "Book"? Pardon my question, but no where in the SSA Form SS-5-FS  (Page 2, Last Paragraph - "Evidence of US Citizenship") do we see that the Passport "Card" could be submitted. If the Passport "Card" is acceptable, this is a great tip!!!  Spending an additional $30 to get the Passport Card and not be worried of SSA's delays (in case an international trip arises in the interim, one could use the Passport Book to travel while the Passport Card is at SSA for the Citizenship Status update.) Hence my question. Anyone else successful in updating their citizenship status at SSA using the Passport "Card". Thanks again!

I can confirmed that I use the passport card, I did not mail the passport book as I had an upcoming trip and did not know how long they would take and I thought it would be safer if anything would happen to the card vs the book as the card would be rarely used.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
15 hours ago, seetsuh said:

The whole process took a week, I first applied for my passport and passport card, I then filled out the SSN application and mailed it off with a letter stating that I am updating my citizenship status and included my passport card as evidence of citizenship. So if anyone is worried about SSA loosing their naturalization certificate, you don't have to mail that, just mail your passport card if you applied for one.

Perrrrrfect!! I am just waiting for this kind of confirmed information. Can you copy-paste your LETTER text indicating that you want to update your SS (mentioned in your post above), I just want to re-use same language (remove your personal info in that text). I have updated my notes here: https://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

My USC Journey noteshttps://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

Citizenship: Completed SFO/CA(Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Nov 31, 2020 (Day 00): Submitted N400 Application, filed online.

Dec 07, 2020 (Day 08): NOA Receipt received in the mail.

Feb 19, 2021 (Day 82): Biometrics reuse notice received online.

Dec 22, 2021 (Day 387) Interview is  scheduled for 01/25/2022.

Jan 25, 2021 (Day 420) Interview and Oath is completed.

Passport: Completed (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Jan 26, 2022 (Day 00): Submitted Application at USPS - Regular speed.

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Feb 23, 2022 (Day 28) :  Approved on DOS site.

Feb 28, 2022 (Day 33) :  Received the passport - Old Gen.

Mar 01, 2022 (Day 34) :  Received the passport card.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

SS Updates: In Progress (Details: Click the hidden content below)

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

Timeline
2 hours ago, seetsuh said:

I can confirmed that I use the passport card, I did not mail the passport book as I had an upcoming trip and did not know how long they would take and I thought it would be safer if anything would happen to the card vs the book as the card would be rarely used.

Many thanks for confirming the info @seetsuh!!! This is indeed a great tip!!!

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Target2020ForN400 said:

Perrrrrfect!! I am just waiting for this kind of confirmed information. Can you copy-paste your LETTER text indicating that you want to update your SS (mentioned in your post above), I just want to re-use same language (remove your personal info in that text). I have updated my notes here: https://tinyurl.com/myUSCNotes 

@Target2020ForN400 - Unbelievable! This is an awesome effort! I thought I kept great notes but nothing compared to what you have 😅 - Kudos!

Timeline
1 minute ago, DallasDreamy said:

@Target2020ForN400 - Unbelievable! This is an awesome effort! I thought I kept great notes but nothing compared to what you have 😅 - Kudos!

I have started making my notes on a text pad, moved it to a Google doc(which can be shared across) and keep updating my Google doc as and when I find something useful for me. Later made it more useful for others too.. now its continuously evolving, each time I find something new. 

Thus, its just a journey than a launch 🙂

BTW, thanks for your posting.. helped me to get direct proof that I can save my passport too 🙂 for SS(using passport card). 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Feb 01, 2022 (Day 06): DOS received (status: in process) Locator 69: New Hampshire: Old Gen Passport to come.

Mar 04, 2022 (Day 37) :  Received the original Naturalization Certificate safely.

Spoiler

Feb 29, 2022 (Day 00) :  Received the passport card, used it for SS updates request on the same day.

6 hours ago, Target2020ForN400 said:

Here is the letter text and the SSA response when they return your document back.

Date

Your Name and Address

Social Security Administration
Your Local SSA Address

Dear Sir or Madam:

I recently become a naturalized US Citizen and I am sending this application to change or update my social security record to reflect my new citizenship status. I am requesting a citizenship change, and I have included a completed and signed Form SS-5 and my passport card as proof of US citizenship. 

Sincerely,

(Your Name)

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 1.17.29 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-28 at 7.23.25 PM.png

Timeline

@seetsuh Many thanks for the letter template and the SS response. I will update my doc(in my signature below) with these details. Thanks for your help to the community.

Edited by Target2020ForN400

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Timeline

@seetsuh  : Forgot to ask you, I guess that the SS has returned your Passport card right? Thanks

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Wait if you're mailing your passport card, you don't need to mail your driver's license? I'm a bit confused here because per SSA website and after talking to the SSA clerk, I was told that they need BOTH - Certificate of Naturalization and my driver's license. Maybe it's the list for those who requires the name change, I don't know. Either way, I cannot imagine mailing them my original drivers license and losing the ability to drive for indefinite period of time.

Timeline

I am quite confused. If you mail your original driving license card, how do you drive? In other words, SSA is mandating the applicant to be HOME while they process the SSA updates? It doesnt sound logical.

Also, Passport card is a FEDERAL ID, No agency (Fed/State/Local) should ask for any other ID card to super seed it. I guess, passport card should be enough. As I understood from @seetsuh above, I didnt see any driving license reference in the successful application.

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, Eternati said:

Wait if you're mailing your passport card, you don't need to mail your driver's license? I'm a bit confused here because per SSA website and after talking to the SSA clerk, I was told that they need BOTH - Certificate of Naturalization and my driver's license. Maybe it's the list for those who requires the name change, I don't know. Either way, I cannot imagine mailing them my original drivers license and losing the ability to drive for indefinite period of time.

The Passport Card and Passport Book proofs both Identity and proof of US citizenship, you only need one or the other when mailing off your application if you do not want to send in your certificate. I would suggest getting the Passport Card and use that to update your SSN.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.