NandV

Affidavit of support (basic questions)

11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline

Hi all, I've been reading the forums very carefully but I made the grave mistake of asking a lawyer what is/not needed and now I'm just confused.

He suggested the following:

Last 3 year Tax Returns
Last 6 months Salary Slips
Last 6 months Bank Statements
Last 3 years W-2 or 1099 as the case may be. 
 -> He does not recommend letter from employer

From what I read on the I-34, it sounds like the following will be sufficient:

Letter of employment (my salary is above the 125% threshold)
Current Tax return
12 months of bank statements (starting/ending balance)

Help on what I should include?

Also, do I need to include every stock, all bank accounts (I like to open CDs based on the best rate, don't worry I don't have a swiss account :P), etc that I have or could I just fill out the main bank account information? Is there a minimum you would recommend having in the "main" bank account if I can only put that down?

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
28 minutes ago, NandV said:

Hi all, I've been reading the forums very carefully but I made the grave mistake of asking a lawyer what is/not needed and now I'm just confused.

Last 3 year Tax Returns

Current Tax return

Also, do I need to include every stock, all bank accounts (I like to open CDs based on the best rate, don't worry I don't have a swiss account :P), etc that I have or could I just fill out the main bank account information? Is there a minimum you would recommend having in the "main" bank account if I can only put that down?

I have a rare agreement with the lawyer.

Past income - tax transcripts (3)

Current income - paystubs and matching bank statements - I always go to the beginning of the current year

Only IF you are submitting tax returns would you need to include the W2 and 1099’s etc that go with each return.  Self-employment also has extra documentation and I’m not sure about that.

I didnt submit a bank letter or a letter from employer

I once had to file an I134 on assets.  I documented every cent that I claimed.  You can print a statement for them if you wish, my first I134 declared the assets but I didnt attach anything to back them up.  If it’s easy, attach it.  Why not.

Edited by Nitas_man

Timeline
2 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

I have a rare agreement with the lawyer.

Past income - tax transcripts (3)

Current income - paystubs and matching bank statements - I always go to the beginning of the current year

Only IF you are submitting tax returns would you need to include the W2 and 1099’s etc that go with each return.  Self-employment also has extra documentation and I’m not sure about that.

I didnt submit a bank letter or a letter from employer

I once had to file an I134 on assets.  I documented every cent that I claimed.  You can print a statement for them if you wish, my first I134 declared the assets but I didnt attach anything to back them up.  If it’s easy, attach it.  Why not.

Thank you! I will then start collecting this information. This will sound really bad considering how much time and effort I've already put into the process, but I was feeling a bit lazy if I could get away with some of the other things for the affidavit of support. I need to remind myself that this is not a process to be lazy in

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 hours ago, NandV said:

Last 3 year Tax Returns

Current Tax return

Overkill 

YMMV

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 minutes ago, NandV said:

Hello! What would you recommend adding again then?

Deleting is what I would do.   One year tax return is all I submitted.   Does your consulate give any guidance in the instructions?

YMMV

Timeline
2 hours ago, payxibka said:

Deleting is what I would do.   One year tax return is all I submitted.   Does your consulate give any guidance in the instructions?

Oh wow that is pretty easy. They don't, they just say to refer to the affidavit of support. On there (if I read it properly), it sounds like you do have to provide 2 things of financial proof. I'll probably do a mix of both then to be on the safe side. Thank you!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
7 hours ago, NandV said:

Last 3 year Tax Returns

Current Tax return

Hello!

I’ll tell you how I assembled my proof of income in my process:

Employment letter

Pay stubs for the last 6 months

Tax return for the last 3 years

Bank account statement showing the current balance

I had no issues at all in my interview. 

Good luck! 

Timeline
14 hours ago, CrisBR said:

Hello!

I’ll tell you how I assembled my proof of income in my process:

Employment letter

Pay stubs for the last 6 months

Tax return for the last 3 years

Bank account statement showing the current balance

I had no issues at all in my interview. 

Good luck! 

Thank you! It sounds like most are submitting similar to the lawyer's suggestion. Would you happen to know why 3 years of tax returns are important?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

The most recent year's tax return should be fine if they were over the threshold. No need to supply so many years of tax documents if the person has been gainfully employed, consistently. The only reason to supply multiples of anything is if you feel there is a need to prove that the employment / income has been consistent.

When I went through the process, I actually included 2 different affidavits of support (because one had the previous years tax returns, and the other didn't). If you don't feel that one meets the criteria, you can always have a second one completed by someone else.

With that said, I would refer you to:

This lists the required evidence (as appropriate) as:
(A) Statement from an officer of the bank/financial institution with your deposits, identifying the following: 1. date account opened; 2. total amount deposited for the past year; 3. present balance
(B) Statement(s) from your employer on business stationary showing: 1. Date and nature of employment; 2. salary paid; 3. whether position is temporary or permanent (also include copies of your last two pay stubs and your previous W-2 for the associated employer if available)
(C) If Self Employed: 1. Copy of last income tax return filed (or IRS transcripts); or 2. report of commercial rating concern
(D) List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s) if you own any.

I supplied A and B to my consulate, and it was adequate. Note it only contains the previous year's W-2. 

Timeline
59 minutes ago, Peot said:

The most recent year's tax return should be fine if they were over the threshold. No need to supply so many years of tax documents if the person has been gainfully employed, consistently. The only reason to supply multiples of anything is if you feel there is a need to prove that the employment / income has been consistent.

When I went through the process, I actually included 2 different affidavits of support (because one had the previous years tax returns, and the other didn't). If you don't feel that one meets the criteria, you can always have a second one completed by someone else.

With that said, I would refer you to:

This lists the required evidence (as appropriate) as:
(A) Statement from an officer of the bank/financial institution with your deposits, identifying the following: 1. date account opened; 2. total amount deposited for the past year; 3. present balance
(B) Statement(s) from your employer on business stationary showing: 1. Date and nature of employment; 2. salary paid; 3. whether position is temporary or permanent (also include copies of your last two pay stubs and your previous W-2 for the associated employer if available)
(C) If Self Employed: 1. Copy of last income tax return filed (or IRS transcripts); or 2. report of commercial rating concern
(D) List containing serial numbers and denominations of bonds and name of record owner(s) if you own any.

I supplied A and B to my consulate, and it was adequate. Note it only contains the previous year's W-2. 

hmm I see, maybe in my case it would be worth doing it since I haven't been in my current job for too long before I would get the employment letter from them. Yes, that is the same information on the affidavit of support site so I couldn't understand why he recommended I include so much information without addressing the first point. Thank you again!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.