Caitlin Kennedy

Green Card Interview To Bring

24 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, we got our green card interview scheduled (status as of website) waiting for letter to come in mail for date/time (Chicago)

For anyone who has been through it recently, do you have a list of what we need to bring? I know they say don't bring anything not requested. We have heard conflicting regarding duplicating the entire green card package and bringing that, which seems a bit extreme.

We would like to start on gathering the information now and not wait for letter to come in mail.

Thanks,

Edited by Caitlin Kennedy

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 hours ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Hi everyone, we got our green card interview scheduled (status as of website) waiting for letter to come in mail for date/time (Chicago)

For anyone who has been through it recently, do you have a list of what we need to bring? I know they say don't bring anything not requested. We have heard conflicting regarding duplicating the entire green card package and bringing that, which seems a bit extreme.

We would like to start on gathering the information now and not wait for letter to come in mail.

Thanks,

Caitlin, 
Read the reviews from people who interviewed in Chicago to get a more accurate idea of your place. 
https://www.visajourney.com/reviews/index.php?cnty=&cty=Chicago+IL&dfilter=5

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

It's a standard letter without any info to your personal case.

The basics are both of your passports and birth certificates, a certified copy of your marriage certificate, the I-864 and I-693 if not already sent ( I-864 you sent with the application and the I-693 is already in your file and you don't need to worry about that if your vaccination sheet was marked as complete ), your I-94, every communication you ever received from USCIS and everything you want to add to your file that shows your marriage is bona fide. Also because of covid your own black or blue ink pen and of course wear a mask 😊

Timeline
8 hours ago, Letspaintcookies said:

and the I-693 is already in your file and you don't need to worry about that if your vaccination sheet was marked as complete

@Caitlin Kennedy

The I-693 would not be in your file unless you did a new medical in the US with a Civil Surgeon before AOS. The Panel Physicians who do visa medicals in foreign countries use a Dept of State form number. The medical results from the Panel Physician in London will be in your file. 

6 hours ago, Wuozopo said:

@Caitlin Kennedy

The I-693 would not be in your file unless you did a new medical in the US with a Civil Surgeon before AOS. The Panel Physicians who do visa medicals in foreign countries use a Dept of State form number. The medical results from the Panel Physician in London will be in your file. 

Thanks for confirming. He did the medical in London Jan 2020 prior to the K-1 approval and interview in Feb 2020. Since he that medical that for the K-1, are we all set?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Thanks for confirming. He did the medical in London Jan 2020 prior to the K-1 approval and interview in Feb 2020. Since he that medical that for the K-1, are we all set?

I think so, but with all the Covid delays who knows. I would go to the appointment and let the interviewer tell you how to proceed. If he needs anything further from you, he will tell you exactly what is needed and you send back directly to him so he can approve. Short delay if anything is needed. No point in spending several hundred dollars guessing if your medical is not sufficient when it should be. Keep us updated on how it goes. 

We can bring all the medical documentation we received from the appointment in London in-case. Thanks for the note.

• 1 month later...
On 2/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, Wuozopo said:

I think so, but with all the Covid delays who knows. I would go to the appointment and let the interviewer tell you how to proceed. If he needs anything further from you, he will tell you exactly what is needed and you send back directly to him so he can approve. Short delay if anything is needed. No point in spending several hundred dollars guessing if your medical is not sufficient when it should be. Keep us updated on how it goes. 

Hey, We just had our interview this morning. He said that he had the medical in his file and nothing was needed from us. We offered to show him what we had, but he declined.

On 2/21/2021 at 8:35 PM, Letspaintcookies said:

It's a standard letter without any info to your personal case.

The basics are both of your passports and birth certificates, a certified copy of your marriage certificate, the I-864 and I-693 if not already sent ( I-864 you sent with the application and the I-693 is already in your file and you don't need to worry about that if your vaccination sheet was marked as complete ), your I-94, every communication you ever received from USCIS and everything you want to add to your file that shows your marriage is bona fide. Also because of covid your own black or blue ink pen and of course wear a mask 😊

We just had our interview and legit asked us to show all those things. Plus our leases for our apartment, we gave those to him and health insurance proof. He didnt ask for photos or anything else.

Timeline
6 hours ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Hey, We just had our interview this morning. He said that he had the medical in his file and nothing was needed from us. We offered to show him what we had, but he declined.

Great!!

5 hours ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

We just had our interview and legit asked us to show all those things. Plus our leases for our apartment, we gave those to him and health insurance proof. He didnt ask for photos or anything else.

That is to be expected...show them things you have which supports you have a bonafide marriage. Usually they don’t ask for specific proofs, but ask what you would like to show them supporting your marriage and will put it in your file. 

You didn’t say if he approved you. ⁉️

13 minutes ago, Wuozopo said:

Great!!

That is to be expected...show them things you have which supports you have a bonafide marriage. Usually they don’t ask for specific proofs, but ask what you would like to show them supporting your marriage and will put it in your file. 

You didn’t say if he approved you. ⁉️

Yep def. We honestly got really lucky. No trick questions, didnt even ask for photos...talked ten mins about the filtering system/ in his office and felt safe working there etc...We didnt even get asked what we want to include. Asked for health insurance, job info, birth certif, who attended our marriage, apartment leases, if we had gone on vacation, AP documentation, passports, if either of us had previous marriages or kids etc. He just told us what he wanted. He didnt say "You are approved" as he said his supervisor had to review it..which is pretty normal I think? I could tell he was by the book guy so i am not surprised. We walked away with a letter saying "No other doc is needed from you...final decision is to be made" Then at the end talking about how in the mail in 18 months we will get a form to lift conditions....

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline
12 minutes ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Then at the end talking about how in the mail in 18 months we will get a form to lift conditions....

Don't trust that. Some get a reminder for ROC some don't. Don't wait for it 😁

But from what you said it sounds quite normal and good 😊

6 minutes ago, Letspaintcookies said:

Don't trust that. Some get a reminder for ROC some don't. Don't wait for it 😁

But from what you said it sounds quite normal and good 😊

oh i wont for sure. :)

Timeline
32 minutes ago, Caitlin Kennedy said:

Then at the end talking about how in the mail in 18 months we will get a form to lift conditions....

If you move, I don’t think the reminder will follow you to your new address. Any address changes with USCIS do not change that ROC reminder. It seems to be a fixed address in its own alternate universe or at least that’s how it used to be. We moved and my reminder went to the original POE and AOS home address. The new owner has my details and texted I had mail that seemed to be from immigration. I told her to open it (suspecting it was the reminder). It was and I told her she could bin it. Just remember to apply before before Sean’s greencard expires (2 years from whatever date ends up on the soon to be approved card). And 3 years from that date on card, he is eligible for citizenship as long as he stays married to the USC who petitioned him. Otherwise five years.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.