Tomaso11

Finding an appropriate work visa

77 posts in this topic

27 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

Well the o1 visa is something we are still looking into. I was hoping to find somebody who would employ me on e2 visa (an Australian investment business owner who wants to use me as an employee) but that didn't quite work out. Then I found this opportunity so we are trying to make it work. It just seems the best possible way is the eb3 at the moment.

I believe for O-1 you’d have to have publicly documented notoriety/accomplishments in your field, which is why Susie referenced Great British Baking Show earlier in the thread.

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry&Koala said:

I understand some advantages of marriage based visa over K1 but in addition to what you indicated, some people just don't want to live apart from their spouse once they get married so they prefer K1, like my now husband and me:) 

Except that with approved petitions for K-1 sitting at NVC for a year now, it’s no longer faster.   Interviews for K-1s are at a standstill.   Since spouses are considered relatives, those interviews are happening.

1 hour ago, Tomaso11 said:

Im not sure what boomerang pies are sorry

One of a number of Australian-food-based companies in the US, that’s all. It’s a huge country with many immigrants, you’re going to find some kind of producer of food for every nationality you can think of somewhere 

59 minutes ago, Jorgedig said:

I believe for O-1 you’d have to have publicly documented notoriety/accomplishments in your field, which is why Susie referenced Great British Baking Show earlier in the thread.

Well those would be the easy ones - but yes there needs to be some sort of published or other way to verify your accomplishments among your peers.

1 hour ago, Boiler said:

They advertise to comply with the law, not to find applicants. 

So, what, they do it comply and  they happen to find a perfectly competent applicant who is going to do the same job and just ignore them to rather spend thousands on lawyers and wait two years? How does that make sense unless it’s not an arms length job offer in the first place?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I often wonder if there is any real need for most new EB3 applicants, that can not be filled if you look hard enough, seem often other factors. I am putting aside those who are working on NIV which only last so long.

But lets say you have a position to fill,logically you would of course advertise normally, if for nothing else the time involved. If you have done that and nobody comes up and then you look for other options and find someone abroad, well you have to go through Labor Certification, I seriously doubt that has much in common with how a Company would actively seek a new Employee.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Well we know why they do it for nurses, it's to get them at lower wages than otherwise which more than offsets the costs of the visa sponsorship. 

Anyway - it's clear that OP's prospective employer/lawyers haven't done much work on this type of thing or they'd know exactly what the options are , no matter, I am sure they will find something appropriate, the issue for the OP is that he was more keen on doing something like community college than waiting for an employment visa to come through. 

1 hour ago, Jorgedig said:

Except that with approved petitions for K-1 sitting at NVC for a year now, it’s no longer faster.   Interviews for K-1s are at a standstill.   Since spouses are considered relatives, those interviews are happening.

i think she was saying that they don't mind living apart while engaged but mind it while being married...

If you are a pastry chef at a Michelin star restaurant or one of the biggest restaurants in Australia or you have a bakery that has won national awards, you can get an O1. The O1 visa needs to have a LOT of documentation supporting your expertise. It's time consuming and a lawyer has to put it together. I know people who had an O1 visa and they had like 400 pages of supporting documents, some which included letters from experts in the field talking about the skills of the candidate, awards, publications, etc. etc.

If you are a baker in a small place, there is no way you can get an O1 visa. The bar is extremely high. 

3 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well we know why they do it for nurses, it's to get them at lower wages than otherwise which more than offsets the costs of the visa sponsorship.   In addition to the fact that there is, and has been for years and years, a labor shortage of RNs in the US.  More need than available, qualified workers.   Not sure the same could be said for bakers.

Anyway - it's clear that OP's prospective employer/lawyers haven't done much work on this type of thing or they'd know exactly what the options are , no matter, I am sure they will find something appropriate, the issue for the OP is that he was more keen on doing something like community college than waiting for an employment visa to come through. 

56 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Well those would be the easy ones - but yes there needs to be some sort of published or other way to verify your accomplishments among your peers.

Thats what we are looking into, the place I work at has won a lot of awards, and being one of the people in charge there i am responsible for contributing to attaining some of these awards. There have been various publications of the business in certain media, but not so much individually. I have previous co-workers who now have their own accomplishments, that have now been recognised in the various media sources, that can acknowledge my skills etc.

Edited by Tomaso11

52 minutes ago, Boiler said:

I often wonder if there is any real need for most new EB3 applicants, that can not be filled if you look hard enough, seem often other factors. I am putting aside those who are working on NIV which only last so long.

But lets say you have a position to fill,logically you would of course advertise normally, if for nothing else the time involved. If you have done that and nobody comes up and then you look for other options and find someone abroad, well you have to go through Labor Certification, I seriously doubt that has much in common with how a Company would actively seek a new Employee.

Unless someone understands the situation you are in and is willing to help another fellow Australian out. Someone who he thinks can contribute and grow his business in different ways. Someone who understands how to make the products.

7 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

Thats what we are looking into, the place I work at has won a lot of awards, and being one of the people in charge there i am responsible for contributing to attaining some of these awards. There have been various publications of the business in certain media, but not so much individually. I have previous co-workers who now have their own accomplishments, that have now been recognised in the various media sources, that can acknowledge my skills etc.

I was looking into an O some years back (when i fortuitously won the DV lottery, there's an option for you too and much easier than anything else if you are lucky enough to get selected) and I was told to collate all publications mentioning me by name, articles I had authored, some national awards I had won,etc. Nothing about the companies I had worked for. The only guy here in the US that I really know well on an O was a professor with the usual publications, and a start up that was bought out by a large US company, who brought him over to head up that section at their head office. (and imo definitely way more accomplished globally in his field than I had been in mine) Now - there are people here with far more expertise and who actually completed the O1 route which I had only tentatively started exploring - but from my recollection it would need to be you mentioned in the media sources, not just referred by others who have been. Anyway - the lawyers would have to put this together and would tell you what you need.

15 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

I was looking into an O some years back (when i fortuitously won the DV lottery, there's an option for you too and much easier than anything else if you are lucky enough to get selected) and I was told to collate all publications mentioning me by name, articles I had authored, some national awards I had won,etc. Nothing about the companies I had worked for. The only guy here in the US that I really know well on an O was a professor with the usual publications, and a start up that was bought out by a large US company, who brought him over to head up that section at their head office. (and imo definitely way more accomplished globally in his field than I had been in mine) Now - there are people here with far more expertise and who actually completed the O1 route which I had only tentatively started exploring - but from my recollection it would need to be you mentioned in the media sources, not just referred by others who have been. Anyway - the lawyers would have to put this together and would tell you what you need.

I have applied for the DV lottery 🤞🤞 yes I am sceptical about the o visa also. My lawyer has told me to get those who have won the awards to write letters about my skills, achievements, we are also looking into getting some publication on the story of my employer wanting to bring me over to work for him.

55 minutes ago, Tomaso11 said:

I have applied for the DV lottery 🤞🤞 yes I am sceptical about the o visa also. My lawyer has told me to get those who have won the awards to write letters about my skills, achievements, we are also looking into getting some publication on the story of my employer wanting to bring me over to work for him. As he has done a lot of work in the media in L.A also.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.