From_CAN_2_US

Canadian Police Clearance Certficate

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

We are still awaiting our i130 approval, but I am preparing documents in anticipation of DS 260 application.

I am trying to find information on how one is to obtain PCC for Canada. I went to the both RCMP, travel.state.gov website, and the postings here on visa journey. I learnt that the instructions are conflicting and not clear, and people have had their PCCs rejected in the past for getting the wrong one.

I know the first step is to go to a police station or a RCMP-approved partner agency. My questions are:

1. What is the type of document to be requested - Certified Criminal Record Check "under privacy act" or "other" or "landed immigrant"

2. What documents are required to be taken to the obtain the PCC (any letter from NVC, passport, Canadian PR card etc) (I couldn't find this info anywhere)

3. What is the processing time for the PCC

Thanks for your advice

*~*~*country-specific question moved to Canada regional forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
4 hours ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

We are still awaiting our i130 approval, but I am preparing documents in anticipation of DS 260 application.

I am trying to find information on how one is to obtain PCC for Canada. I went to the both RCMP, travel.state.gov website, and the postings here on visa journey. I learnt that the instructions are conflicting and not clear, and people have had their PCCs rejected in the past for getting the wrong one.

I know the first step is to go to a police station or a RCMP-approved partner agency. My questions are:

1. What is the type of document to be requested - Certified Criminal Record Check "under privacy act" or "other" or "landed immigrant"

2. What documents are required to be taken to the obtain the PCC (any letter from NVC, passport, Canadian PR card etc) (I couldn't find this info anywhere)

3. What is the processing time for the PCC

Thanks for your advice

Police Certificates

Available

Fees: Varies by Province

Document Name:  Certified Criminal Record Check

Issuing Authority: Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: The Certified Criminal Record Check requested under the Privacy Act is fingerprint-based, but the report does not include an image of the applicant’s fingerprints.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: There is no issuing authority personnel title

Registration Criteria: There is no registration criteria

Procedure for Obtaining: To obtain this document, you must submit your fingerprints to a local police service or RCMP-approved partner agency.  You must also specifically request the record which includes the “RCMP National Repository entire holdings.” 

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are not available

Alternate Documents: Criminal Record Check for Personal Use

Exceptions: None

Comments: As of September 10, 2018 a fingerprint-based, certified criminal record check from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is required by U.S. Consular posts in Canada. 

For more information on how to request this document, visit rcmp-grc.gc.ca

YMMV

Timeline
19 minutes ago, payxibka said:

Police Certificates

Available

Fees: Varies by Province

Document Name:  Certified Criminal Record Check

Issuing Authority: Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Special Seal(s) / Color / Format: The Certified Criminal Record Check requested under the Privacy Act is fingerprint-based, but the report does not include an image of the applicant’s fingerprints.

Issuing Authority Personnel Title: There is no issuing authority personnel title

Registration Criteria: There is no registration criteria

Procedure for Obtaining: To obtain this document, you must submit your fingerprints to a local police service or RCMP-approved partner agency.  You must also specifically request the record which includes the “RCMP National Repository entire holdings.” 

Certified Copies Available: Certified copies are not available

Alternate Documents: Criminal Record Check for Personal Use

Exceptions: None

Comments: As of September 10, 2018 a fingerprint-based, certified criminal record check from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police is required by U.S. Consular posts in Canada. 

For more information on how to request this document, visit rcmp-grc.gc.ca

Thanks, but I have seen that and it doesn’t answer my questions. Of my questions all it addresses is what type of Criminal Record Check should be applied, which is specified to be under Privacy Act. However, there are posts on this forum dating as recent as 2020 where such a police certificate was rejected and were told “other” and not “privacy act” should be selected. Others got approved with “landed immigrant” selection.... that leaves my questions from my post unanswered.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Just wondering if anyone has a sample of what the CRC should look like?

I understand they just changed the wording again as of Nov. 2020 (it will no longer say Privacy Act). But, what should the sub-type be?

The one I submitted (that has been DQ-ed) says Others (Provide Details). But, when I went to get another one (for date reasons), the person told me it's supposed to say Active Criminal Record. I'm a little stressed out with the various reports people have made about their application not going through at the consulate bc of the wrong CRC.

Would anyone who's recently had an interview be able to maybe provide a quick photo of what theirs looks like?

• 3 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

@Canada5 if you go to the FAQ's in my signature, the information you require is there.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hi Everyone, sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this question. So what happened was that I applied for an IR-1, had my interview (in Hungary), but because I lived in Canada in the past 5 years, I had to obtain a Canadian Police Certificate from RCMP (NVC accepted our explanation at the time that we were unable to get it from a Canadian Authority, because of COVID etc). Anyway, at the interview, the consular said I need some sort of an official form, so I applied for it at RCMP. They have it mailed to a Canadian address on 3rd June. Guess what...It never arrived to the address, so Canada Post obviously lost it. I had to apply for it again, now I try another Canadian address... RCMP says there is no other way for me to get this certificate.

Does anyone else has the same issue? What if Canada Post keep losing this very important document which is the ONLY thing I need for my visa? I would greatly appreciate if someone has an idea how the #&@ I can get this letter?? Thanks everybody!!

2015-04-03: I-129F sent

2015-04-06: I-129F received

2015-04-15: NOA1 received

2015-05-21: RFE message received by email and text

2015-05-26: RFE hardcopy received

2015-05-27: RFE sent

2015-05-28: RFE received by CSC, status updated on USCIS website

2015-06-17: NOA2 message received by email

2015-06-22: NOA2 hardcopy received

2015-07-20: Got our case # from NVC on the phone and same day transferred to the Embassy

2015-07-27: According to the CEAC site, our case is ready for the interview

2015-08-12: Medicals

2015-09-02: INTERVIEW:-))))

2015-09-06: ACCEPTED!!! (Checked also on ustraveldocs.com), delivery company called me when can they deliver the docs

2015-09-18: POE: ATLANTA

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

2015-11-01: Marriage Ceremony took place in our home

2015-11-02: Marriage License signed and handed over to the Probate Court

2015-11-09: Marriage Certificate is ready to pick up

2015-11-16: Docs sent to USCIS with Fedex

2015-11-18: Docs delivered to USCIS with Fedex

2015-11-23: Got 3 txt msgs with 3 different receipt numbers (MSC# - AOS, EAD, AP)

2015-11-27: 3 NOA#3 received by mail

2015-12-09: Biometrics appointment letter received by mail - Appointment is on the 21st December

2015-12-21: Biometrics was taken for EAD

2015-12-21: RFE received regarding I-485 (W2 was requested)

2015-12-22: Evidence (W2) sent back to USCIS

2015-12-28: Biometrics appointment letter received by mail - Appointment is on the 4th January

2016-01-04: Biometrics was taken for AOS

2016-02-01: Service request sent regarding EAD

2016-02-02: Service request was sent to an officer for response
2016-02-05: Expedite request sent
2016-02-11: Second service request sent, assigned to an officer same day
2016-02-12: EAD/AP card is being produced!!!
2016-02-17: EAD/AP card is being mailed!!!

Current status:

:goofy: Waiting for GC or waiver :goofy:

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Bogi&Nick said:

Hi Everyone, sorry if this is not the right forum to ask this question. So what happened was that I applied for an IR-1, had my interview (in Hungary), but because I lived in Canada in the past 5 years, I had to obtain a Canadian Police Certificate from RCMP (NVC accepted our explanation at the time that we were unable to get it from a Canadian Authority, because of COVID etc). Anyway, at the interview, the consular said I need some sort of an official form, so I applied for it at RCMP. They have it mailed to a Canadian address on 3rd June. Guess what...It never arrived to the address, so Canada Post obviously lost it. I had to apply for it again, now I try another Canadian address... RCMP says there is no other way for me to get this certificate.

Does anyone else has the same issue? What if Canada Post keep losing this very important document which is the ONLY thing I need for my visa? I would greatly appreciate if someone has an idea how the #&@ I can get this letter?? Thanks everybody!!

Did you confirm with RCMP that they mailed it out? My experience with RCMP is that they drag their feet... Writing to them pointing out the long time you have been waiting gets them to act. There is no way to collect documents directly from them though. You have to wait for it to arrive my mail.

Canada Post, doesn't usually lose mail, but they often are very late in delivering (especially if the Canadian address is remote). Your first document that was apparently sent on June 3rd may still arrive. Good that you have a second document on the way as well as a back up.

I think you will receive these documents, it will just take a while.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Hungary
Timeline
5 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

Did you confirm with RCMP that they mailed it out.

My experience with RCMP is that they drag their feet... Canada Post, doesn't usually lose mail, but they often are very late in delivering (especially if the Canadian address is remote). Your first document that was apparently sent on June 3rd may still arrive. Good that you have a second document on the way as well as a back up.

I think you will receive these documents, it will just take a while.

Hi! The first address is in Hamilton, so that is not really remote... The agency who I hired, said that most likely the case is that they lost it, because some other of their customer's experience is that they received the mail within a week. My second submission was on the 22nd June, I sent them a request today to confirm they mailed it, but I think they did, since the last one took them a week to mail, and this was was technically ready lol

Do you think the first one can still arrive...? Do you have an experience with them? So there is really no other way to get this letter? I even go there in perso (from Hungary) or send a Fedex courier if I knew where they are... That is how desperate I am :(

I am thinking that I will put a waiver request letter at this point, because we are waiting for it so long (we submitted the whole IR-1 last year) and it really takes a toll on us...

Thanks for your fast answer though!

2015-04-03: I-129F sent

2015-04-06: I-129F received

2015-04-15: NOA1 received

2015-05-21: RFE message received by email and text

2015-05-26: RFE hardcopy received

2015-05-27: RFE sent

2015-05-28: RFE received by CSC, status updated on USCIS website

2015-06-17: NOA2 message received by email

2015-06-22: NOA2 hardcopy received

2015-07-20: Got our case # from NVC on the phone and same day transferred to the Embassy

2015-07-27: According to the CEAC site, our case is ready for the interview

2015-08-12: Medicals

2015-09-02: INTERVIEW:-))))

2015-09-06: ACCEPTED!!! (Checked also on ustraveldocs.com), delivery company called me when can they deliver the docs

2015-09-18: POE: ATLANTA

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

2015-11-01: Marriage Ceremony took place in our home

2015-11-02: Marriage License signed and handed over to the Probate Court

2015-11-09: Marriage Certificate is ready to pick up

2015-11-16: Docs sent to USCIS with Fedex

2015-11-18: Docs delivered to USCIS with Fedex

2015-11-23: Got 3 txt msgs with 3 different receipt numbers (MSC# - AOS, EAD, AP)

2015-11-27: 3 NOA#3 received by mail

2015-12-09: Biometrics appointment letter received by mail - Appointment is on the 21st December

2015-12-21: Biometrics was taken for EAD

2015-12-21: RFE received regarding I-485 (W2 was requested)

2015-12-22: Evidence (W2) sent back to USCIS

2015-12-28: Biometrics appointment letter received by mail - Appointment is on the 4th January

2016-01-04: Biometrics was taken for AOS

2016-02-01: Service request sent regarding EAD

2016-02-02: Service request was sent to an officer for response
2016-02-05: Expedite request sent
2016-02-11: Second service request sent, assigned to an officer same day
2016-02-12: EAD/AP card is being produced!!!
2016-02-17: EAD/AP card is being mailed!!!

Current status:

:goofy: Waiting for GC or waiver :goofy:

Timeline
1 hour ago, Bogi&Nick said:

Hi! The first address is in Hamilton, so that is not really remote... The agency who I hired, said that most likely the case is that they lost it, because some other of their customer's experience is that they received the mail within a week. My second submission was on the 22nd June, I sent them a request today to confirm they mailed it, but I think they did, since the last one took them a week to mail, and this was was technically ready lol

Do you think the first one can still arrive...? Do you have an experience with them? So there is really no other way to get this letter? I even go there in perso (from Hungary) or send a Fedex courier if I knew where they are... That is how desperate I am :(

I am thinking that I will put a waiver request letter at this point, because we are waiting for it so long (we submitted the whole IR-1 last year) and it really takes a toll on us...

Thanks for your fast answer though!

I ordered to Police Clearance Certificates from RCMP (one for maiden name, one for married name). 

Fingerprints for first certificate - Feb 25

Date RCMP Mailed out - March 8

Date received in mail in downtown Toronto - March 24

Fingerprints for second certificate - March 3

Date RCMP Mailed out - March 17 (after I sent them a reminder email on March 16)

Date received in mail in downtown Toronto - April 5

I agree Hamilton, especially if downtown Hamilton is not remote. Maybe Canada Post lost it, but maybe it will still arrive... There is no way to collect the report in person from them as far as I know. All other applicants I know have received it by mail and a month's wait from fingerprints is not unheard of.

Good news is I don't think Canada Post loses things that often, so you will almost certainly receive the second submission. I would not assume just because this is your second submission it would be any faster for RCMP to send it out than the first. 

Personally, I would wait until end July before deciding it will not come and apply for a waiver. Not sure a waiver would be successful at this point.

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

• 1 month later...

Hi there,

I live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and I am required to get a pcc during my time that I lived in Canada (British Columbia).  I am unable to navigate the process to obtain fingerprints locally. I called my main RCMP Office in BC, and they said any local police station can do this; I went there today, they need an official "form" or document that they can take my ink fingerprints on.  RCMP says there is no form, and the local police office can hand their local form - which does not exist!
Neither consulate in Dubai nor the Embassy in Abu Dhabi are aware of this entire process and are super unhelpful. They keep redirecting me back to the RCMP/GC website, and I find myself back to square 1. 

Any tips?

Thx in advance. 

Timeline
1 hour ago, emmewalle said:

Hi there,

I live in Dubai, United Arab Emirates and I am required to get a pcc during my time that I lived in Canada (British Columbia).  I am unable to navigate the process to obtain fingerprints locally. I called my main RCMP Office in BC, and they said any local police station can do this; I went there today, they need an official "form" or document that they can take my ink fingerprints on.  RCMP says there is no form, and the local police office can hand their local form - which does not exist!
Neither consulate in Dubai nor the Embassy in Abu Dhabi are aware of this entire process and are super unhelpful. They keep redirecting me back to the RCMP/GC website, and I find myself back to square 1. 

Any tips?

Thx in advance. 

It is actually not true that Canada does not have a standard form. They do. I got fingerprints done on a Canadian card yesterday. It may be true that they do not care if you use that card.

I have a few ideas (none of them tested):

1. I found an image of the fingerprinting card online. See attached. Remove the seal at the bottom of the page of the agency in surrey using photo editing software and then print this and take it to the police station in Dubai for them to use.

2. I found the following site online that provides RCMP fingerprinting for residents of UAE:

https://www.reliabilityscreening.ca/background-check-united-arab-emirates/

3. Blank FBI fingerprinting forms are available for purchase on Amazon. I also have a Singapore fingerprint form. Maybe Canada won’t care if you use those?

7B72EA2F-2F86-454B-B12B-B49DF5AB398D.jpeg

Edited by From_CAN_2_US

4 minutes ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

It is actually not true that Canada does not have a standard form. They do. I got fingerprints done on a Canadian card yesterday. It may be true that they do not care if you use that card.

I have a few ideas (none of them tested):

1. I found an image of the fingerprinting card online. See attached. Remove the seal at the bottom of the page of the agency in surrey using photo editing software and then print this and take it to the police station in Dubai for them to use.

2. I found the following site online that provides RCMP fingerprinting for residents of UAE:

https://www.reliabilityscreening.ca/background-check-united-arab-emirates/

3. Blank FBI fingerprinting forms are available for purchase on Amazon. I also have a Singapore fingerprint form. Maybe Canada won’t care if you use those?

7B72EA2F-2F86-454B-B12B-B49DF5AB398D.jpeg

Oh wow this is super helpful! THANK YOU! I would be a bit weary to edit a form for immigration purposes. what card did you use and where did you get it from? what city/country did you do this from and how was your experience? did you face any issues on the TYPE of pcc? i read some previous threads on ensuring the exact pcc is used otherwise they're quick to deny you.

thanks again!

Timeline
16 minutes ago, emmewalle said:

Oh wow this is super helpful! THANK YOU! I would be a bit weary to edit a form for immigration purposes. what card did you use and where did you get it from? what city/country did you do this from and how was your experience? did you face any issues on the TYPE of pcc? i read some previous threads on ensuring the exact pcc is used otherwise they're quick to deny you.

thanks again!

I must qualify that I am a Canadian resident and so am only familiar with type of police certificates for those applying within Canada. This is probably the same type required from those outside Canada, but I can't be sure.

Details of the type of certificate can be found in the below link, created by @Hawk Riders

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/edit

I have to clarify a few things:

1. Living in Canada, I got my fingerprinting done digitally for purposes of police certificates for IR1/CR1 immigration. There are many agencies here who do this for us, and send it to RCMP. You can look for something similar in Dubai too..

2. I used the Canadian fingerprint card when sending fingerprints to Singapore to obtain Singapore police Certficate (for three purposes - security clearance to work on provincial projects, immigration to US (CR1/ IR1), Canadian citizenship application. Singapore has their own sample cards but they always have accepted fingerprints on the Canadian card.

The seal I asked you remove on the image I sent you is to be put by the authority taking your fingerprints. In your case, that is the Dubai Police. The form given by the govt is blank. I do not see a problem in removing teh seal on this picture using photo-editing software.

1 hour ago, From_CAN_2_US said:

I must qualify that I am a Canadian resident and so am only familiar with type of police certificates for those applying within Canada. This is probably the same type required from those outside Canada, but I can't be sure.

Details of the type of certificate can be found in the below link, created by @Hawk Riders

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/edit

I have to clarify a few things:

1. Living in Canada, I got my fingerprinting done digitally for purposes of police certificates for IR1/CR1 immigration. There are many agencies here who do this for us, and send it to RCMP. You can look for something similar in Dubai too..

2. I used the Canadian fingerprint card when sending fingerprints to Singapore to obtain Singapore police Certficate (for three purposes - security clearance to work on provincial projects, immigration to US (CR1/ IR1), Canadian citizenship application. Singapore has their own sample cards but they always have accepted fingerprints on the Canadian card.

The seal I asked you remove on the image I sent you is to be put by the authority taking your fingerprints. In your case, that is the Dubai Police. The form given by the govt is blank. I do not see a problem in removing teh seal on this picture using photo-editing software.

thanks a lot! So I did some more research and there are a few forms that look quite similar but have some minor differences; how do I know which is the right form to use? Here are some examples:

1. the one you sent me

2. http://www.thecommissionaires.com/default/assets/File/Fingerprint Service for Canadians Abroad Forms(1).pdf

3. https://www.pweservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/RCMP_GRC_C-216C_Form.pdf

I've now reached out to Commisionnaires, Canadian Forensics Inc & Reliability Screening.  Fingers crossed!

PS,  I have a CPIC done from 2017 via BackCheck for an employment purpose; can I not just use that?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.