From_CAN_2_US

Canadian Police Clearance Certficate

20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
2 hours ago, emmewalle said:

thanks a lot! So I did some more research and there are a few forms that look quite similar but have some minor differences; how do I know which is the right form to use? Here are some examples:

1. the one you sent me

2. http://www.thecommissionaires.com/default/assets/File/Fingerprint Service for Canadians Abroad Forms(1).pdf

3. https://www.pweservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/RCMP_GRC_C-216C_Form.pdf

I've now reached out to Commisionnaires, Canadian Forensics Inc & Reliability Screening.  Fingers crossed!

PS,  I have a CPIC done from 2017 via BackCheck for an employment purpose; can I not just use that?

I would use 2.

Regarding your other question - Whether you can use the one you use the police clearance done for  for employment background check in 2017 depends on the following:

1. Was it done after you were last in Canada. If no, you can’t use it.

2. Was there type of criminal record check the same as for immigration. It has to be “for personal use” 

Timeline

@emmewalle FYI, most of us here get our Canadian police clearance done by the commissionaires. So you are definitely on the right track there. Good luck and let us know how it goes. It would be good info for others like you who reside outside Canada.

• 11 months later...
Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/29/2021 at 1:01 PM, emmewalle said:

thanks a lot! So I did some more research and there are a few forms that look quite similar but have some minor differences; how do I know which is the right form to use? Here are some examples:

1. the one you sent me

2. http://www.thecommissionaires.com/default/assets/File/Fingerprint Service for Canadians Abroad Forms(1).pdf

3. https://www.pweservices.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/RCMP_GRC_C-216C_Form.pdf

I've now reached out to Commisionnaires, Canadian Forensics Inc & Reliability Screening.  Fingers crossed!

PS,  I have a CPIC done from 2017 via BackCheck for an employment purpose; can I not just use that?

Hey what did you end up doing?

My friend is currently working in NYC on a TN but need to obtain the Canadian police certificate as he is from Canada. He is doing Consular Processing. 

• 1 year later...

I see you asked this question in. 2021 and I am facing it now. On the documents page is a link to reciprocity documents and talks about a police report with fingerprints etc. However under police reports further down the page it mentions police certificate. I went into the RCMP,today and they can provide me with a police certificate. No fingerprints required.  Now I am confused by which one I need? If anyone can help I’d appreciate it.thank you

Timeline
11 hours ago, Ellenjl said:

I see you asked this question in. 2021 and I am facing it now. On the documents page is a link to reciprocity documents and talks about a police report with fingerprints etc. However under police reports further down the page it mentions police certificate. I went into the RCMP,today and they can provide me with a police certificate. No fingerprints required.  Now I am confused by which one I need? If anyone can help I’d appreciate it.thank you

There are many types of police certificates. You absolutely need to provide fingerprints to get the type of police certificate you need for US immigration.

Details of the type of certificate can be found in the below link, created by @Hawk Riders

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k927pE5wqzTN5n0lPYZ1JQxgbmnzmNWX5hSteyii0BY/edit

Note that this googledoc was last updated in Jan 2022, and not sure if there have been any changes in the requirements since then.

Go to the commissionaires closest to you. They are an accredited private agency that facilitates these police checks by taking fingerprints and laising with RCMP. Print out the requirements you see on NVC website and show it to them so they can give you the correct police certificate. I just looked at mine and the type of record check is "For Personal use - Others (Provide Details)."

Hope this helps.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.