ezmiller

Different legal residential addresses when filing for citizenship

16 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Israel
Timeline

My wife is eligible to apply for citizenship after receiving her (temporary) green card on a marriage based visa (forgot the form names). Because of COVID we've had to move from our permanent residence address for the moment, and yet our move is as far as we know long-term but not permanent. We are waiting to see what happens with the virus later this year. I am considering moving my official address for tax purposes, but my wife's company is less amenable to that kind of a shift, and so she may keep hers the same. For tax purposes, it is legal to file "married, filing jointly" with separate addresses. But are there any limitations, hard or otherwise, that would make that a bad idea? 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

**Moved from US Citizenship Case Filing and Progress Reports to US Citizenship General Discussion**

🇷🇺 CR-1 via DCF (Dec 2016-Jun 2017) & I-751 ROC (Apr 2019-Oct 2019)🌹

Spoiler

Info about my DCF Moscow* experience here and here

26-Jul-2016: Married abroad in Russia 👩‍❤️‍👨 See guide here
21-Dec-2016: I-130 filed at Moscow USCIS field office*
29-Dec-2016: I-130 approved! Yay! 🎊 

17-Jan-2017: Case number received

21-Mar-2017: Medical Exam completed

24-Mar-2017: Interview at Embassy - approved! 🎉

29-Mar-2017: CR-1 Visa received (via mail)

02-Apr-2017: USCIS Immigrant (GC) Fee paid

28-Jun-2017: Port of Entry @ PDX 🛩️

21-Jul-2017: No SSN after three weeks; applied in person at the SSA

22-Jul-2017: GC arrived in the mail 📬

31-Jul-2017: SSN arrived via mail, hurrah!

*NOTE: The USCIS Field Office in Moscow is now CLOSED as of February 28th, 2019.

Removal of Conditions - MSC Service Center

28-Jun-2019: Conditional GC expires

30-Mar-2019: Eligible to apply for ROC

01-Apr-2019: ROC in the mail to Phoenix AZ lockbox! 📫

03-Apr-2019: ROC packet delivered to lockbox

09-Apr-2019: USCIS cashed check

09-Apr-2019: Case number received via text - MSC 📲

12-Apr-2019: Extension letter arrives via mail

19-Apr-2019: Biometrics letter arrives via mail

30-Apr-2019: Biometrics appointment at local office

26-Jun-2019: Case ready to be scheduled for interview 

04-Sep-2019: Interview was scheduled - letter to arrive in mail

09-Sep-2019: Interview letter arrived in the mail! ✉️

17-Oct-2019: Interview scheduled @ local USCIS  

18-Oct-2019: Interview cancelled & notice ordered*

18-Oct-2019: Case was approved! 🎉

22-Oct-2019: Card was mailed to me 📨

23-Oct-2019: Card was picked by USPS 

25-Oct-2019: 10 year GC Card received in mail 📬

*I don't understand this status because we DID have an interview!

🇺🇸 N-400 Application for Naturalization (Apr 2020-Jun 2021) 🛂

Spoiler

Filed during Covid-19 & moved states 1 month after filing

30-Mar-2020: N-400 early filing window opens!

01-Apr-2020: Filed N-400 online 💻 

02-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received online 📃

07-Apr-2020: NOA 1 - Receipt No. received via mail

05-May-2020: Moved to another state, filed AR-11 online

05-May-2020: Application transferred to another USCIS field office for review ➡️

15-May-2020: AR-11 request to change address completed

16-Jul-2020: Filed non-receipt inquiry due to never getting confirmation that case was transferred to new field office

15-Oct-2020: Received generic response to non-receipt inquiry, see full response here

10-Feb-2021: Contacted senator's office for help with USCIS

12-Feb-2021: Received canned response from senator's office that case is within processing time 😡

16-Feb-2021: Contacted other senator's office for help with USCIS - still no biometrics

19-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice - canned response from other senator's office 🌐

23-Feb-2021: Interview scheduled - notice to come in the mail

25-Feb-2021: Biometrics reuse notice arrives via mail

01-Mar-2021: Interview notice letter arrives via mail  ✉️ 

29-Mar-2021: Passed interview at local office! Oath Ceremony to be scheduled

13-Apr-2021: Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

04-May-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 Unable to attend due to illness

04-May-2021: Mailed request to reschedule Oath to local office

05-May-2021: "You did not attend your Oath Ceremony" - notice to come in the mail

06-May-2021: Oath Ceremony will be scheduled, date TBA

12-May-2021: Oath Ceremony re-scheduled for June 3rd, then de-scheduled same day 😡 

25-May-2021: New Oath Ceremony notice was mailed

16-Jun-2021: Oath Ceremony scheduled 🎆 - DONE!!

17-Jun-2021: Certificate of Naturalization issued

🎆 Members new and old: don't forget to fill in your VJ timeline! 🎇 https://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

In a roundabout way it seems you are asking what office she can file citizenship at? This is what the manual says about the requirement :

In general, an applicant for naturalization must file his or her application for naturalization with the state or service district that has jurisdiction over his or her place of residence. The applicant must have resided in that location for at least three months prior to filing. ...The applicant’s “residence” refers to the applicant’s principal, actual dwelling place in fact, without regard to intent. The duration of an applicant’s residence in a particular location is measured from the moment the applicant first establishes residence in that location. .... If an applicant claims residence in more than one state, the residence for purposes of naturalization will be determined by the location from which the applicant’s annual federal income tax returns have been and are being filed. 

https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-d-chapter-6

Timeline

Hmm @SusieQQQ, that was actually not my question, but the information you provided is useful and may begin to answer my question. Sorry for not being clear. I'm struggling to be clear because I am not totally sure of the question.

I think my question is more along the lines of: Will the citizenship application be weakened if for some technical/tax reason my wife and I have separate legal addresses, although we are married?

With regards to the rules you shared about residence: the document states: "The duration of an applicant’s residence in a particular location is measured from the moment the applicant first establishes residence in that location." I'm curious what it means to "establish residence"? So for example if someone has not changed their legal residence for tax purposes, but has resided in a different state for 3+ months, and has paid utilities at that other location? Are they then a resident in that other states, or both states, from the point of view of USCIS?

Edited by ezmiller

55 minutes ago, ezmiller said:

Hmm @SusieQQQ, that was actually not my question, but the information you provided is useful and may begin to answer my question. Sorry for not being clear. I'm struggling to be clear because I am not totally sure of the question.

I think my question is more along the lines of: Will the citizenship application be weakened if for some technical/tax reason my wife and I have separate legal addresses, although we are married?

With regards to the rules you shared about residence: the document states: "The duration of an applicant’s residence in a particular location is measured from the moment the applicant first establishes residence in that location." I'm curious what it means to "establish residence"? So for example if someone has not changed their legal residence for tax purposes, but has resided in a different state for 3+ months, and has paid utilities at that other location? Are they then a resident in that other states, or both states, from the point of view of USCIS?

Oh, so you are asking  your wife because your wife is filing under the 3 year rule? If so, it is not just being married she needs to show, but that you have been living together in marital union for 3 years preceding the application. So you will need to somehow show that you are still living in marital union even though you have different addresses. That might be tricky for obvious reasons. Wouldn’t be the first time we’ve seen in immigration someone doing something for a tax advantage hitting them in an unexpected way (though that is usually when they have underreported income and now need to sponsor.) I don’t even know if what you are doing for tax in terms of using an address you don’t live at is properly legal, but if it isn’t or is shady, then she is potentially going to have a problem with the “good moral character” aspect too, paying taxes falls into that. I don’t know enough about tax law to address that. For marital union considerations, see part D in this link https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-2

as to your second question on residence, please read the earlier link I gave you for a fuller explanation. 

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Thank you again for pointing me to the relevant USCIS documents. It looks like the USCIS has a more extensive idea of what it means to "live in a marital union." For tax purposes, it's normal to file as "married, filing jointly" with different tax addresses. Think of a couple that are married but live in different places. Maybe they work in different cities or something like that. But the USCIS documents add some other idea it looks like, namely they say:

An applicant does not meet the married and “living in marital union” requirements if:

• The applicant is not residing with his or her U.S. citizen spouse at the time of filing or during the time in which the applicant is required to be living in marital union with the U.S. citizen spouse

In our case, we reside together, but our tax addresses could end up being different. I could see how that could cause some confusion for USCIS. I wonder if anyone here has any experience filing in this kind of situation, and whether it has caused a problem.

Edited by ezmiller

Timeline

Regarding the definition of "residence", I see that Chapter 6 says:

The applicant’s “residence” refers to the applicant’s principal, actual dwelling place in fact, without regard to intent.

I do find this a bit vague. I'm guessing what it means is that a person's residence is the place that they are actually living, presuming they've lived there by three years. But how does one demonstrate that a given address is in fact one's "actual dwelling place"? Is it just things like a lease or utility bills and the like?

Edited by ezmiller

1 hour ago, ezmiller said:

Regarding the definition of "residence", I see that Chapter 6 says:

I do find this a bit vague. I'm guessing what it means is that a person's residence is the place that they are actually living, presuming they've lived there by three years. But how does one demonstrate that a given address is in fact one's "actual dwelling place"? Is it just things like a lease or utility bills and the like?

It’s mainly to get around people living one place and filing another because the second has faster processing time (or people who effectively live overseas but “intend” to have residence in the US, but that’s more an issue for continuous residence than this particular aspect). Particularly if an address has changed fairly shortly before filing, they will usually ask to see DL or state ID with the claimed address, you could present other evidence I guess. Kids at school, local employer, etc. People can pay leases/utilities in holiday homes where they do not actually reside so that’s not always sufficient in and of itself.

1 hour ago, ezmiller said:

Think of a couple that are married but live in different places. Maybe they work in different cities or something like that

You would need to argue that as an exception. Marital union is not the same as being married, it is actually physically being together. This is to get around people who get and stay married on paper for green cards. 

Timeline
3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

It’s mainly to get around people living one place and filing another because the second has faster processing time (or people who effectively live overseas but “intend” to have residence in the US, but that’s more an issue for continuous residence than this particular aspect). Particularly if an address has changed fairly shortly before filing, they will usually ask to see DL or state ID with the claimed address, you could present other evidence I guess. Kids at school, local employer, etc. People can pay leases/utilities in holiday homes where they do not actually reside so that’s not always sufficient in and of itself.

And I'm guessing they aren't very understanding of the way in which COVID has caused people to make temporary location adjustments? Or?

Your main concern is the discrepancy between your actual residence address and the ones you and your wife use for tax purposes.

I do not think it should be an issue. 

Even if you actually didn't live together, it wouldn't be an issue, as the USCIS manual states the following:

"Involuntary Separation

Under very limited circumstances and where there is no indication of marital disunity, an applicant may be able to establish that he or she is living in marital union with his or her U.S. citizen spouse even though the applicant does not actually reside with citizen spouse. An applicant is not made ineligible for naturalization for not living in marital union if the separation is due to circumstances beyond his or her control, such as:

-Service in the U.S. armed forces; or

-Required travel or relocation for employment."

Source: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-12-part-g-chapter-2#S-D-3

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

For federal tax purposes, a married couple filing jointly can have only one address.  It's impossible to file a joint federal tax return with separate addresses.  

For state tax returns, the couple can file separate state tax returns with different addresses.  

Do this only with a professional accountant.  Not DIY.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline
5 hours ago, ezmiller said:

Thank you again for pointing me to the relevant USCIS documents. It looks like the USCIS has a more extensive idea of what it means to "live in a marital union." For tax purposes, it's normal to file as "married, filing jointly" with different tax addresses. Think of a couple that are married but live in different places. Maybe they work in different cities or something like that. But the USCIS documents add some other idea it looks like, namely they say:

In our case, we reside together, but our tax addresses could end up being different. I could see how that could cause some confusion for USCIS. I wonder if anyone here has any experience filing in this kind of situation, and whether it has caused a problem.

You are making an assumption not supported by facts.  

You are assuming that "it's normal to file as 'married, filing jointly' with different tax addresses."  

If you and your spouse wants to file a joint US federal tax return, you have to pick one address.  It's a mailing address.  

For state tax returns, you can file separately with your respective addresses.

Not DIY.  Get a professional tax accountant.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.