Jake77

Evidence for Father-Child Relationship (merged)

35 posts in this topic

I have my mother's name on my birth certificate instead of my father's because they were never married and my father is married to another woman.

In my country, the government allows an illegitimate child to bear the surname of the father as long as the father gives his consent.

Would it help me get my visa if I changed my surname on my birth certificate to that of my father's?

Also, aside from financial support and Facebook messages, I don't have any more evidence that proves our relationship. Is this enough?

Filed: Country: Jamaica
Timeline
18 minutes ago, Jake77 said:

I have my mother's name on my birth certificate instead of my father's because they were never married and my father is married to another woman.

In my country, the government allows an illegitimate child to bear the surname of the father as long as the father gives his consent.

Would it help me get my visa if I changed my surname on my birth certificate to that of my father's?

Also, aside from financial support and Facebook messages, I don't have any more evidence that proves our relationship. Is this enough?

What Country are you from?

Evidence of relationship includes pictures of the both of you since you were born, proof of his name on school records listed as your father, proof of your medical records his name is listed as your father, proof of trips together, proof of pictures of you and paternal family members, baptism certificate listing him as the father, child support order listing him as the father.

Other than a DNA test without proof of relationship since childhood, there is no way to prove relationship.  However, DNA test will not automatically get your immigration petition approved.  

Edited by Pinkrlion

Phase I - IV - Completed the Immigration Journey 

While a DNA test will prove paternity, you can’t just run out and get one and submit that. USCIS and DoS will only accept a DNA test from an approved provider linked to a specific case number, so you will need to wait for them to actually request it as evidence before you can send it to them. In the meanwhile submit what you have, but no changing your last name years after your birth is not likely to be enough. Financial support is quite strong evidence, not sure if it’s enough on its own.

Edited by SusieQQQ

26 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

What Country are you from?

Evidence of relationship includes pictures of the both of you since you were born, proof of his name on school records listed as your father, proof of your medical records his name is listed as your father, proof of trips together, proof of pictures of you and paternal family members, baptism certificate listing him as the father, child support order listing him as the father.

Other than a DNA test without proof of relationship since childhood, there is no way to prove relationship.  However, DNA test will not automatically get your immigration petition approved.  

I am from the Philippines. Aside from one picture that was taken when I was a baby - my father holding me in his arms - I don't have any more pictures of us together because he's always worked abroad.

Also, my father's name is not on any of those possible proofs (school records, medical records ... ) because my grandmother hated him and didn't want his name to be used.

The only additional proof that I can have (beside bank transcripts of his financial support and messages on Facebook) is to have his name on my birth certificate instead of my mother's. My country allows children born out of wedlock to use their father's surname even when the parents are not married as long as the father gives his consent.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

How old are you?

Is your father's name on your birth certificate?

Is your father a US citizen?

Has your father filed an I-130 petition for you?

Changing your name will not change your situation.

The US Embassy wants evidence of a personal relationship - meaning interactions between the two of you.  Changing your name now is not evidence of a personal relationship between the two of you.  You would be changing your name for an immigration benefit.  Evidence is something that has been around for years.   Financial support for you is the best evidence that you have.  It shows that your father provided care for his child.  Messages over a long period between the two of you showing a father/child relationship.

Edited by aaron2020

Timeline

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/how-prove-parent-child-relationship-citizenship-immigration-purposes.html#:~:text=If you are the child's father and the child was,relationship) between you and the

Evidence of a personal relationship between father and child before age 21

If you are the child’s father and the child was born outside of marriage (out of wedlock), and you did not legitimate the child before he or she turned 18, then proving your father-child relationship will require evidence of a personal relationship (also referred to as a “bona fide” relationship) between you and the child.

For example, you might supply evidence that you lived with the child at some point, publicly treated the child as your own, and/or participated in the child's life—especially through financial and/or emotional support, but also through demonstrated concern for the child’s well-being, school work, or religious instruction.

Be sure to include copies of any: receipts of money orders you sent to the child; insurance records naming the child as your beneficiary; letters exchanged between you and the child; and affidavits written by persons (perhaps your friends or your child’s school officials) who know about the relationship.

I need to send proof that my father has been financially supporting me before I turned 18.
I also have to provide conversations of myself and my father on Facebook.

Questions:

1. We've got bank records and the records go all the way back to 2000. Which years should I show? And, how many?
E.g.: January, July and December records from years: 2000, 2005, 2015 and 2020. Is this enough?

2. Facebook messages:
- How many should I show?
- Which years? (2020 - 2017? Is this good enough?)

3. Form I-130 asks for the PETITIONER's father's name. My father's dad left them when he was still a child. They don't know his exact name or how to spell it correctly.
What do we write?

4. USCIS says it needs the child's birth certificate. I don't have my father's name on my birth certificate - do I still send my birth certificate along with I-130?

Timeline

You get one chance to do this, so do it right. 

It's better to provide complete information and not need it rather than not give enough information.

1.  Provide all the records.  

2.  Provide all the records.

3.  Do your best.

4.  USCIS asked for it.  So yes, you need to provide it.  

What proof do you have of your father accepting paternity before age 18 since he is not listed on your birth certificate?

4 minutes ago, aaron2020 said:

You get one chance to do this, so do it right. 

It's better to provide complete information and not need it rather than not give enough information.

1.  Provide all the records.  

2.  Provide all the records.

3.  Do your best.

4.  USCIS asked for it.  So yes, you need to provide it.  

What proof do you have of your father accepting paternity before age 18 since he is not listed on your birth certificate?

Proof - other than bank records and conversations? None. Do I need get an affidavit stating admission of paternity?

Timeline
Just now, Jake77 said:

20. Turning 21 next year.

Would have been best to have done it before you turned 18.  You can still do it, but it will probably have less weight now that you are an adult and no longer a minor.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.