APA

Who should pay for beneficiary's flight?

41 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
2 minutes ago, PWB said:

Wow, if you are questioning paying for a ticket on some perceived moral issue then excuse me, are you ready to spend your life with this person.  Right now my fiancee is caught in the middle of the horrid flooding in Luzon Philippines and the USEM is still playing games with her visa.  Money for a ticket should never be the issue. 

You clearly either didn't read my post or didn't understand it. I suggest not commenting until you've done both as your reply really makes you look ignorant.

02/24/2020 K1 I-129F Sent via DHL from Cambodia to Lewisville

02/27/2020 - K1 I-129F Package Received & Signed For in Lewisville

03/04/2020 - Credit Card Charged for Processing Fee

03/05/2020 - NOA1

10/03/2020 - Outside Normal Processing Time Inquiry Request Submitted

10/14/2020 - NOA2

10/16/2020 - Outside Normal Processing Time Inquiry Request Responded To (reflected NOA2)

11/10/2020 - Received K1 FTP

11/10/2020 - In Transit to Embassy

11/15/2020 - Arrival at Embassy

12/05/2020 - Filed DS-160

12/15/2020 - Embassy Issues Appointment Date

01/29/2021 - Interview & Approval

02/05/2021 - K1 Visa In Hand

03/06/2021 - Arrival in US POE

04/19/2021 - Marriage

05/11/2021 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Sent

05/12/2021 - Packet Received @ Chicago Lockbox

05/22/2021 - AOS/EAD NOA1 Received

08/14/2021 - AOS & EAD Biometrics Notice

09/07/2021 - AOS & EAD Biometrics Appointment Completed

09/11/2021 - AP Biometrics Notice

09/21/2021 - AOS Interview Appointment Notice

10/04/2021 - AP Biometrics Appointment Completed

10/29/2021 - AOS Interview & Approval

11/06/2021 - Greencard Received via USPS

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
3 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

If you would of purchased her a flight a few years ago in Philippines, many of the airlines was asking for a copy of the credit card or the actual credit card before they would let them board the flight.

A few years ago is meaningless for today.   

YMMV

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Allovertheworld said:

Yes, No maybe, it shows a trend for 3rd world countries.

Back then you couldn't purchase a international ticket unless you had a visa in hand. 

Whay trend if it isn't applicable today?

Your prerogative to live in the past.  

YMMV

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm planning to use either my American or Delta Airline points to buy my fiance's flights. Would she need anything besides her passport and visa to show at the airlines check-in counters if it was bought by me, in her name? There would not be any of my credit card info to show as it's my points. 

Edited by Mojito

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Thailand
Timeline
56 minutes ago, Mojito said:

I'm planning to use either my American or Delta Airline points to buy my fiance's flights. Would she need anything besides her passport and visa to show at the airlines check-in counters if it was bought by me, in her name? There would not be any of my credit card info to show as it's my points. 

I earn a lot of points, and book a lot of flights with points. In this case if you want to be safe, a copy of your passport ID page, and also a copy of your summery page from your points account would probably be the same as showing a copy of the credit card. But, I think since a credit card was never used, it would never come up honestly. This would definitely be airline specific as it is their points, not a credit card companies. Maybe just double check the miles/points redemption rules to make sure nothing crazy is required. My one card allows me to transfer points between airlines, and my Sky miles points are good on like 22 different airlines. Since You have Delta, that is Sky miles, and good on many different airlines. Since they are so wide spread the sky miles program is really easy to use, and there are almost no restrictions. whenever I used sky miles they always took them, and I never had any issues, so I am sure you will be fine, and I have bought tickets for many different people with different names every time using points, and I never heard of them getting questioned at all.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
1 hour ago, Mojito said:

It is unfortunate discussion like this, that  WAS many years ago, that causes uneeded worry about today.

YMMV

22 hours ago, APA said:

It happened to me 3 times in 2 years of traveling through Asia on 2 different credit cards. One of those times was actually in Cambodia. That's enough to make me not want to take chances of him getting stuck in the same position. On the chance that it does happen, there would be no issue for him to show his card. I'm trying to determine if selecting the wrong answer will be a red flag.

We have seen at times that the beneficiary paid for their flight, but most times the petitioner pays for the beneficiary. If you use your credit card be sure your beneficiary has a copy of the card with him/her for verification and that they have your phone number in the even they need your permission. If you are buying a ticket in a foreign country and you are in the USA, you should contact your back whom the credit card was issued from and explain the circumstances to them so they can flag your record accordingly.

BTW, don't overthink this process. Ninety-eight percent of K-1 visas are approved. 

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline
59 minutes ago, Greenbaum said:

We have seen at times that the beneficiary paid for their flight, but most times the petitioner pays for the beneficiary. If you use your credit card be sure your beneficiary has a copy of the card with him/her for verification and that they have your phone number in the even they need your permission. If you are buying a ticket in a foreign country and you are in the USA, you should contact your back whom the credit card was issued from and explain the circumstances to them so they can flag your record accordingly.

BTW, don't overthink this process. Ninety-eight percent of K-1 visas are approved. 

Thanks, I'm just trying to avoid any hiccups. I tend to try and think of everything rather than getting caught off guard.

02/24/2020 K1 I-129F Sent via DHL from Cambodia to Lewisville

02/27/2020 - K1 I-129F Package Received & Signed For in Lewisville

03/04/2020 - Credit Card Charged for Processing Fee

03/05/2020 - NOA1

10/03/2020 - Outside Normal Processing Time Inquiry Request Submitted

10/14/2020 - NOA2

10/16/2020 - Outside Normal Processing Time Inquiry Request Responded To (reflected NOA2)

11/10/2020 - Received K1 FTP

11/10/2020 - In Transit to Embassy

11/15/2020 - Arrival at Embassy

12/05/2020 - Filed DS-160

12/15/2020 - Embassy Issues Appointment Date

01/29/2021 - Interview & Approval

02/05/2021 - K1 Visa In Hand

03/06/2021 - Arrival in US POE

04/19/2021 - Marriage

05/11/2021 - AOS/EAD/AP Packet Sent

05/12/2021 - Packet Received @ Chicago Lockbox

05/22/2021 - AOS/EAD NOA1 Received

08/14/2021 - AOS & EAD Biometrics Notice

09/07/2021 - AOS & EAD Biometrics Appointment Completed

09/11/2021 - AP Biometrics Notice

09/21/2021 - AOS Interview Appointment Notice

10/04/2021 - AP Biometrics Appointment Completed

10/29/2021 - AOS Interview & Approval

11/06/2021 - Greencard Received via USPS

Timeline
6 hours ago, Loren Y said:

I earn a lot of points, and book a lot of flights with points. In this case if you want to be safe, a copy of your passport ID page, and also a copy of your summery page from your points account would probably be the same as showing a copy of the credit card. But, I think since a credit card was never used, it would never come up honestly. This would definitely be airline specific as it is their points, not a credit card companies. Maybe just double check the miles/points redemption rules to make sure nothing crazy is required. My one card allows me to transfer points between airlines, and my Sky miles points are good on like 22 different airlines. Since You have Delta, that is Sky miles, and good on many different airlines. Since they are so wide spread the sky miles program is really easy to use, and there are almost no restrictions. whenever I used sky miles they always took them, and I never had any issues, so I am sure you will be fine, and I have bought tickets for many different people with different names every time using points, and I never heard of them getting questioned at all.

Thank you very much for your reply. I haven't ever used points for anyone but myself and appreciate the feedback. You are right, maybe I can look at the Sky Miles and One World partners for other options too. Since you have bought tickets for others with your points its good to know they weren't questioned. It's always good to prepare to avoid potential problems is how I view travel related items. And to hear others experiences with points usage a bit outside the norm is valuable. Sooner or later the K1 approvals will occur and when ours does, I want to be knowledgeable and ready to go ASAP, especially with airlines tickets essentially paid for already potentially with points.  Always like your posts as you try to help people where you can. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, payxibka said:

It is unfortunate discussion like this, that  WAS many years ago, that causes uneeded worry about today.

Thanks I think. Just wanting to be ready for her to use the points as soon as she can. Not exactly a worry, more just trying to get some clarification from those that used airpoints for their fiance's. The lockdown situation will change sometime. In fact, she could use them now if she were able to get a travel visa, just I couldn't go there. Bummed because we had a trip planned for November/December and as you are aware, unmarried Americans cant go to the Philippines. Somehow this cluster*** will get resolved. When is always the question. 

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Mojito said:

Thanks I think. Just wanting to be ready for her to use the points as soon as she can. Not exactly a worry, more just trying to get some clarification from those that used airpoints for their fiance's. The lockdown situation will change sometime. In fact, she could use them now if she were able to get a travel visa, just I couldn't go there. Bummed because we had a trip planned for November/December and as you are aware, unmarried Americans cant go to the Philippines. Somehow this cluster*** will get resolved. When is always the question. 

Feel your pain on this. Was supposed to return to Thailand with my wife last month. Since we are married I was able to secure everything I needed from the Thai embassy in LA, the only issue was American Airlines canceled the flight ( Ironically one I used points on), so I was unable to go. This was back in September none the less, and American still hasn't refunded my points or cash portion of my airfare. They keep telling me they have 60 days to refund my money and points, or something like 2 billing cycles. Since you brought this up, looks like I'll be calling them Monday to get on them again, as I think it has been over 60 days now. Love how they can hold my points and money hostage, but when I book they want their money and points right NOW!. They didn't wait 60 days to charge my card or take my points, think I'm done with American Airlines, they really did me dirty this time around. When and if I get my point back, I'll transfer them elsewhere.

Here on a K1? Need married and a Certificate in hand within a few hours? I'm here to help. Come to Vegas and I'll marry you Vegas style!!   Visa Journey members are always FREE for my services. I know the costs involved in this whole game of immigration, and if I can save you some money I will!

Timeline
9 minutes ago, Loren Y said:

Feel your pain on this. Was supposed to return to Thailand with my wife last month. Since we are married I was able to secure everything I needed from the Thai embassy in LA, the only issue was American Airlines canceled the flight ( Ironically one I used points on), so I was unable to go. This was back in September none the less, and American still hasn't refunded my points or cash portion of my airfare. They keep telling me they have 60 days to refund my money and points, or something like 2 billing cycles. Since you brought this up, looks like I'll be calling them Monday to get on them again, as I think it has been over 60 days now. Love how they can hold my points and money hostage, but when I book they want their money and points right NOW!. They didn't wait 60 days to charge my card or take my points, think I'm done with American Airlines, they really did me dirty this time around. When and if I get my point back, I'll transfer them elsewhere.

Yes it seems like they would be bending over backwards at this pandemic time to get it right. It's not like a bunch of people are actively booking international flights. That is a lot of points for 2 people to Southeast Asia, and back too. But they are doing the exact opposite. I would be frustrated too. It's mid November, they should have been able to refund your points by now, especially since THEY cancelled your flight. I'd be interested to know how you can transfer those points elsewhere.  I guess you must have a credit card that can do that. I hear Chase Sapphire is really good for doing things like that. I think I'm stuck with my air points and cant move them since I just got those points by flying on either American or Delta. 

P.S. I love when I get those American emails and they ask, "Where would you like to go?" I'm screaming PHILIPPINES at my computer. LOL. 

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Mojito said:

Yes it seems like they would be bending over backwards at this pandemic time to get it right. It's not like a bunch of people are actively booking international flights. That is a lot of points for 2 people to Southeast Asia, and back too. But they are doing the exact opposite. I would be frustrated too. It's mid November, they should have been able to refund your points by now, especially since THEY cancelled your flight. I'd be interested to know how you can transfer those points elsewhere.  I guess you must have a credit card that can do that. I hear Chase Sapphire is really good for doing things like that. I think I'm stuck with my air points and cant move them since I just got those points by flying on either American or Delta. 

P.S. I love when I get those American emails and they ask, "Where would you like to go?" I'm screaming PHILIPPINES at my computer. LOL. 

You are correct. I have the chase sapphire reserve card as my primary travel card. The annual fee is a little steep, but I always recover my annual fee in benefits with no issues. In 2019 I received a little over 7700.00 in benefits over a year's time according to my annual summary, so, yeah I get mines LOL. I did have the Citi card I got pretty good for points, and back in the day I did a number on Delta with my american express delta sky miles card. If you want to know how to really get bang for your buck head to "the points guy" Google it. And get some tips and tricks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.