sweethrtt

Traveling back to the US from Canada

13 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi All

On October 28, 2020 I received my permanent residency card and am planning on traveling to Canada to visit my family. 

I know this has been answered before so I do apologize for the redundancy in my question. 

Will I be allowed back into the US after spending a weekend in Canada??

thank you in advance to those of you answering my question... it is greatly appreciated! 

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

I think your issue is can you travel to Canada for two days? I have a coworker who is a Canadian citizen/LPR who went to Canada and she HAD to quarantine for 2 weeks and even got checked on while in Canada. They are taking it much more serious than the USA (and justly so). 

Our K1 Journey    I-129f

Service Center : Texas Service Center   Transferred? California Service Center on 8/11/14

Consulate : Port au Prince, Haiti             I-129F Sent : 4/14/2014

I-129F NOA1 : 4/24/14                            I-129F NOA2 : 9/10/14

NVC Received : 9/24/14                          NVC Left : 9/26/14

Consulate Received : 10/6/14 CEAC status changed to ready

Packet 3 Received : 10/27/14 packet received by petitioner in USA ( beneficiary never received packet 3)

Medical: 10/30/14 Dr. Buteau                  Medical picked up: 11/3/14

Packet 3 Sent : 11/10/13.. Had to schedule interview appointment and attach confirmation receipt to packet

Interview Date : 12/1/14                           Interview Result : Approved !

Visa Received : 12/10/14 picked up at Jacmel location

US Entry : 12/15/14 Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Apply for Social Security Card: 12/30/14 Connecticut

Marriage: 1/26/15

Adjustment of Status

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Biometrics : 4/15/15

Approved: 8/31/15                                     Received: 9/8/15

EAD

CIS Office : Hartford                                  Filed : 3/18/15

NOA : 3/25/15                                            Approved: 6/12/15

Received: 6/20/15

Removal of Conditions I-751

Filed: 8/14/17 at VSC                                 NOA: 8/15/17 Received 8/21 by mail

Biometrics: Dated: 8/25/17   Received 9/2/17   Appointment 9/11/17 

Approved: 10/23/18 -no interview

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

Hello,

I thought there a rule that border crossings are restricted to family reunification.  That is, crossing for long term visits are allowed but not just for a few days/weeks?   Maybe it is just a guideline, or just for land border crossings?

Timeline
4 hours ago, mkayyy said:

Yes but you're supposed to quarantine for 14 days in Canada, so just going for a weekend is not technically allowed. This is what has prevented us from visiting family in Canada and even prevented family in Canada from visiting us (because they don't want to quarantine when they return).   

I called CBSA today and as a Canadian Citizen you are exempt from having to stay for 14 days. However my husband, for example, who is not an Canadian citizen is not exempt and must stay for greater than 14 days. I read what you mentioned on their website and that’s why I called them to clarify. 

But my question isn’t about the Canadian border it is about being allowed back in to the US.... I wasn’t sure if there was some rules about me coming back home to New York. 

Edited by sweethrtt
Addition
Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Timeline
9 minutes ago, mkayyy said:

That's interesting.  Are you supposed to quarantine during the days you're there?  Being in Seattle, I would love to go visit my family in Vancouver at some point.  

Oh yes most definitely need to quarantine. For piece of mind give them a call and ask and that way you know for certain and you may be able to visit your family after all!! 

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Timeline
4 hours ago, Luckycuds said:

I think your issue is can you travel to Canada for two days? I have a coworker who is a Canadian citizen/LPR who went to Canada and she HAD to quarantine for 2 weeks and even got checked on while in Canada. They are taking it much more serious than the USA (and justly so). 

I called CBSA and the agent told me that as a citizen I am exempt from having to stay for 14 days.

just to be on the safe side I may contact them again lol 

Edited by sweethrtt
Addition
Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

Timeline
13 hours ago, sweethrtt said:

I called CBSA and the agent told me that as a citizen I am exempt from having to stay for 14 days.

Wow; such a good information.

- Feb 22 2020 - Mailed Application (I-130, I-845....) to Chicago

- April 22 2020 - NOA 1

- June 1 2020 - RFE for I-944

- June 24 2020 - Replied to RFE

- Oct 25 2020 - Fingerprint done

- Nov 9 2020 - Case ready to be scheduled for interview

On 11/3/2020 at 4:37 PM, sweethrtt said:

Even my kid’s school says she needs to quarantine for 14 days if they travel outside the country (she is Canadian and lives in Canada.).  Every family member I’ve had that has travelled during this time has had to quarantine during their return from outside the country. 

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline
2 hours ago, NikLR said:

Even my kid’s school says she needs to quarantine for 14 days if they travel outside the country (she is Canadian and lives in Canada.).  Every family member I’ve had that has travelled during this time has had to quarantine during their return from outside the country. 

I called them a second time and was met with the same response as a Canadian Citizen I am allowed to come and go as I please. I am not required to stay for 14 days but I must quarantine for the amount of time I do decide to stay. 

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Two Countries, One Love

31 minutes ago, sweethrtt said:

I called them a second time and was met with the same response as a Canadian Citizen I am allowed to come and go as I please. I am not required to stay for 14 days but I must quarantine for the amount of time I do decide to stay. 

So if you see anyone they need to quarantine as well. Well my family all work and have school so asking anyone to quarantine for while I visit and then 14 days afterward as their jobs or school requires is more than I can ask. But if you have family able to do so enjoy your visit!

Edited by NikLR

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 11/4/2020 at 6:07 PM, sweethrtt said:

It depends. 

by air: you are required to have 14days quarantine. Even if you are Canadian citizens. 

by land: you do not. That’s why foreign nations can’t not enter thru land boarders.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.