baze92

Need to get married this month but everywhere seems to be booked (California).

47 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2020 at 12:58 PM, baze92 said:

Hi everyone,

My Fiance and I are in the k1 process but she is currently here with me in the US on her tourist visa. She has been here since late June. Our plan was to fly back to Thailand, for her to do her interview, and then come back to US to get married. Unfortunately, Thai borders are still closed and not even close to our filing month interviews. And of course, covid situation is getting worse around the world. 

Without many choices, we decided it would be best to get married here now. 

The problem is, her tourist visa expires Early December and everything in booked out in our (San Diego) county until Mid December. I called neighboring counties and they are not accepting out of country residents. Additionally, they said most counties are not accepting other counties. 

1) Does anyone know any counties where we can get a license/married in California, before the end of November?

2) Are there any downsides if we get married in another state (not sure if it affects anything because she is not a citizen)? 

3) The county clerk suggested contacting wedding chapels. Sounds a bit sketchy to me. has anyone done this/any downsides of doing so?

4) Are there any counties open to out of county residents for virtual marriage ceremony? 

If anyone has any tips/suggestions regarding our situation, I would greatly appreciate it!

You can get married in Vegas. Book a hotel and do a court house wedding. It is still considered a legal binding wedding. You can submit I-130 right afterwards. 

There is nothing weird or sketchy about it. We did it and had no problem. I'm now awaiting my citizenship. All the paperwork is a formality, as long as you are happy, it doesn't matter where you get married on US soil. You can always have a reception later. Noone is going to judge you, especially during covid its not ideal to have a huge party. You can always have a reception later. 

Very happy for you guys! Congrats!!! 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.