Veera K7

Left Middle Name Blank in my I-485

7 posts in this topic

Hi All, I sent out my AOS application to USCIS last week with the necessary supporting applications like 944, 485J. etc. I don't have a middle name and i left my middle name blank in my applications. I am a bit worried now since i noticed that there are few forms like U Visa and T Visa applications getting rejected since the middle name field is left blank. Has anyone else left the middle name field blank and still get acceptance of the form from USCIS for I-485.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 minutes ago, Veera K7 said:

Hi All, I sent out my AOS application to USCIS last week with the necessary supporting applications like 944, 485J. etc. I don't have a middle name and i left my middle name blank in my applications. I am a bit worried now since i noticed that there are few forms like U Visa and T Visa applications getting rejected since the middle name field is left blank. Has anyone else left the middle name field blank and still get acceptance of the form from USCIS for I-485.

My wife has no middle name (technically she has no surname either, but she and her lawyer went with my recommendation to use one of her names as her surname). Blank middle name on her I-485. Approved.

19 minutes ago, Mike E said:

My wife has no middle name (technically she has no surname either, but she and her lawyer went with my recommendation to use one of her names as her surname). Blank middle name on her I-485. Approved.

Thanks Mike for your response. My worry was with the recent changes in the way USCIS is adjudicating other petitions like U Visa and T Visa where they have clearly mentioned they would reject if any field is blank. Although no such information is not mentioned for 485 it got me worried. You put in all efforts and submit everything fine only to be rejected for leaving middle name blank which ideally is right since I don’t have a middle name 

The fact is that I left all N/A fields blank in all my applications, and now I am a citizen so blank spaces are definitely not a problem.

N400

12/06/2014: Package filed

12/31/2014: Fingerprinted

02/06/2015: In-Line for Interview

04/15/2015: Passed Interview

05/05/2015: Oath letter was sent

05/22/2015: Oath Ceremony

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Veera K7 said:

Thanks Mike for your response. My worry was with the recent changes in the way USCIS is adjudicating other petitions like U Visa and T Visa where they have clearly mentioned they would reject if any field is blank. Although no such information is not mentioned for 485 it got me worried. You put in all efforts and submit everything fine only to be rejected for leaving middle name blank which ideally is right since I don’t have a middle name 

https://www.uscis.gov/I-918

We will reject a Form I-918 or a Form I-918A that has, for example, an empty field for middle name, for current immigration status or for information pertaining to a spouse or child.

That guidance is absent from https://www.uscis.gov/i-485

Let me speculate. According to https://www.uscis.gov/I-918 , this form is used for:

An alien and a victim of a qualifying criminal activity. Use this form to petition for temporary immigration benefits for yourself and your qualifying family members, as appropriate

Often such people don't have their documents. They've been kidnapped, enslaved, trafficked, etc.

Thus, USCIS is saying to U visa petitioners:

"Help us out here. Tell us all the information you know about you since you don't have documents"

Whereas those applying for an I-485 better have their documents. If they don't they are getting an RFE at best, and a denial at worse. With documents, USCIS can tell if the petitioner has a middle name or not. If the birth and passport documents have a middle name and the I-485 doesn't list it, well that's an RFE.

The danger to an I-485 petitioner putting "none", "N/A", "NA", "MNU", "NMN", etc. in the middle name field is that the petitioner ends up with a green card that has something NONE as a middle name. 

As a former green card holder, I would rather risk an RFE or denial than have NONE on my green card and deal with the I-90 mess of correcting it.

So while I cannot guarantee that you won't get an RFE, my reasoning is that you will not. If you do get an RFE, then fill out the form with N/A, and plan to file an I-90.

Remember that while every USCIS petition is view skeptically, the most skepticism is for petitions like those for visas like the U class.

Edited by Mike E

2 hours ago, Mike E said:

Let me speculate. According to https://www.uscis.gov/I-918 , this form is used for:

Often such people don't have their documents. They've been kidnapped, enslaved, trafficked, etc.

"Help us out here. Tell us all the information you know about you since you don't have documents"

Whereas those applying for an I-485 better have their documents. If they don't they are getting an RFE at best, and a denial at worse. With documents, USCIS can tell if the petitioner has a middle name or not. If the birth and passport documents have a middle name and the I-485 doesn't list it, well that's an RFE.

The danger to an I-485 petitioner putting "none", "N/A", "NA", "MNU", "NMN", etc. in the middle name field is that the petitioner ends up with a green card that has something NONE as a middle name. 

As a former green card holder, I would rather risk an RFE or denial than have NONE on my green card and deal with the I-90 mess of correcting it.

So while I cannot guarantee that you won't get an RFE, my reasoning is that you will not. If you do get an RFE, then fill out the form with N/A, and plan to file an I-90.

Remember that while every USCIS petition is view skeptically, the most skepticism is for petitions like those for visas like the U class.

I thought the exact something about why USCIS might be rejecting for U and T Visas

• 3 years later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cuba
Timeline
On 10/23/2020 at 3:28 PM, Mike E said:

This was helpful. Thank you. We will be submitting i485 with a blank middle name. I agree I'd rather get an RFE for not putting "NONE" or "NMN" and then having that be a middle name on the green card. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.