mamaniyah

I got my interview date but plan to leave state I’m a few days

4 posts in this topic

Hi all, 

I’m very new to this board and wanted to find out some advise here. My husband and I are days from closing on our new home. We are in New York and we’re going to Connecticut. I just got my interview notice carded for Nov 17th but we plan to leave our apt by Oct 31st. Should we tell USCIS about our move now or go to the interview and let them know at that point? I’ve tried googling it but no one had an answer for my specific question. Since we’ve already gotten the interview notice I just want to know if it makes since for them to start it all over again. Thanks 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

You are required to alert USCIS within 10 days of moving. Risk of deportation and such if you do not. If everything goes quickly, they will cancel your interview, and reschedule it at your new address.

I wonder if you can take advantage of USCIS and USPS delays by submitting the AR-11 form by mail. Wait until the 9th day after moving and submit the form by mail. If you're lucky, they'll process the change of address after you have your interview (be sure to tell them at the interview that you've moved).

My response is roughly based on the website https://www.justia.com/immigration/naturalization-citizenship/moving-after-applying-for-citizenship/

(I don't have experience or knowledge of anyone in your exact position.)

Thanks for your response pigrew, I saw an immigration lawyer said that I can have the documents sent to my lawyer’s office and that’s one perk of having a lawyer. I think it’s more difficult if you are applying for citizenship. I’ll have to wait till Tuesday to hear from my lawyer since Monday is a holiday. Thanks again 

If there is any way you can keep your interview date and still be in compliance with the law, I would say do so.  Otherwise, I think you will be back to waiting for CT to schedule.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.